Flu or cold?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Friday, achy, sneezing and runny nose. Saturday I woke up feeling like total crap. Head stuffy and aches. Soaked in eucalyptus oil and used netti pot. Felt ok through part of Saturday but really started going down hill fast. Spent Sat night and all of Sunday in bed; though I did not sleep well at all. Today I have to go in and do payroll but am not committed to being at the store all day.
Tomorrow, however I am committed to going to Hershey, PA for a buying show through Weds.
Since I rarely get sick, I don't have much in the way of stuff to make me feel "better" and don't know what to buy at CVS. Any recommendations on what will speed up the process of getting rid of this and feeling better?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Achy = flu.

I would get TheraFlu and drink it before bed, making sure I can get a full 8-10 hours. That usually does the trick for me.

Hope you feel better soon! :huggy:

If you're interested in the Mucinex DM, I have a box of caplets I can't use. I could drop them off at your store.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have no suggestions, I can only commiserate. Last weekend, stepson brought home something good, I think. We were both achey, tired, only a little congested. Mid-last week, he developed a nasty cough that's still ongoing. I haven't had a cough though. I keep starting to get better, then feel like it's started all over again. Same with the kiddo. This feels like the longest cold ever. I've stopped taking dayquil and just stick with nyquil to at least get some solid rest as I don't sleep well or nap well.

Grumpy

Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief Tablets...anytime I feel the flu or cold coming on, I OD on these. 30 count pack is about $15. About a month ago on a Thursday, I was coughing, nose running like a sieve and felt all aches all over. Started the Sumbucol Thursday night and was fine by Saturday afternoon, ALL symptoms gone. I've used it for about 5 yrs and its never failed to get rid of a cold/flu in 2, 3 days. Hard to find sometimes, make sure you get the tablets, the liquid doesn't seem to work for me.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief Tablets...anytime I feel the flu or cold coming on, I OD on these. 30 count pack is about $15. About a month ago on a Thursday, I was coughing, nose running like a sieve and felt all aches all over. Started the Sumbucol Thursday night and was fine by Saturday afternoon, ALL symptoms gone. I've used it for about 5 yrs and its never failed to get rid of a cold/flu in 2, 3 days. Hard to find sometimes, make sure you get the tablets, the liquid doesn't seem to work for me.

Where do you find it?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Mucinex DM (expectorant and cough suppressant) was the ONLY thing that helped me.
That's what I got but cannot say it is affecting me at all. But I am home, got some ginger ale and will lay down for awhile (surrounded by the nurse kitties and dog) so maybe that will help. I also went to my bi weekly chiropractor appt and apologized profusely for bringing my cooties in there. He said the cold/flu was causing a lot of inflammation in my joints so the adjustment should help with that.

Grumpy

Box says it's a homeopathic drug. But also says call poison control if you overdose. Ha.

Well, I'm still standing..ha..I believe the dosage is 1 tablet every 3 hours and I know a box of 30 has never lasted me longer than 3 days.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Friday, achy, sneezing and runny nose. Saturday I woke up feeling like total crap. Head stuffy and aches

My daughter recently had all of these symptoms. We both swear she had the flu. She got to coughing non-stop, so I told her she should go to the doctor to get checked for pneumonia or bronchitis or such. They swabbed her for the flu but said it was not the flu. She did have an upper respiratory infection so they gave her antibiotics. She just completed that regime on Sunday and is doing much better.

I hope you feel better fast, but don't wait to get checked out if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

Was just hit with round two... this time a bacterial sinus infection. Doc prescribed antibiotics but also said keep using Mucenix and also use a steroid nose spray such as Flonase.

TCROW

It doesn't help once you have symptoms, but start a vitamin D regimen to help prevent colds and flu. I started daily 5,000 IU of D-3 about 15 years ago and, knock wood, haven't had a single cold or flu since. There's plenty of research out there on this. The "discovery" was made many years back by a psychiatrist/Dr. in Canada (John Cannell I think is his name) who worked in a nut house. He was conducting a vitamin D study on some people with psychiatric issues when a flu epidemic broke out in the hospital. Turned out the flu invaded every single ward except for his, and that started his interest in Vitamin D research.

I like the Now brand of D-3. It's super cheap because vitamins cannot be patented, so you don't get caught up in Big Pharma prices, etc. I take it year round, even in the summer when we have longer daylight and spend much more time outside.

Standard disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and you should check with yours if you have questions. But at least look at the research. It's compelling, and anecdotally, I can confirm.

I've been on 2000iu of D3 for years now, but still caught a crappy head cold just after New Years. A family member graciously donated the infection. Took weeks to get rid of it.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Was just hit with round two... this time a bacterial sinus infection. Doc prescribed antibiotics but also said keep using Mucenix and also use a steroid nose spray such as Flonase.
I finally went to the walk-in clinic as I'm going on day 13 now with this crud...sounds like we have the same thing. He gave me antibiotics and a nasal spray too.