For Redskins, same problem; RGIII...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Hope he takes his time Cousins is looking good so far without all the drama.

Bob III is just another pretty media face with no longevity, but millions in the bank. Cousins is the long term answer but without the flowing dreads......

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hope he takes his time Cousins is looking good so far without all the drama.

He simply can't help himself. Even that first play, take off, get some yards and then slide, he was awkward as hell and more fell than slid. He could not have played much little league.
The play he got hurt, classic Bobby Trey; double back flip somersault off the high dive into a soup can. It's his JOB to preserve himself. I do not think he can play any other way. Just can't do it. I admire the fire and desire but, that's not the job. Especially with that lanky collection of parts designed for straight line operation only. What a mess. A sad, unhappy mess.

Cousins is gonna have his bad days and sooner rather than later but, if he keeps making decisions RIGHT now, and delivering 2 out 3 times, takes his coaching, don't make the 'BIG oops', let that D do their thing, run the ball, we got a football team.

Part of me things Griffin has played his last down for the Redskins. Clearly, he's not getting the job back if he returns this year. Cousins has a solid chance of having the job locked up heading into the off-season, especially if they make the playoffs, even more so if, somehow, they win one, and it's gonna be fresh start time. And who is gonna want him??? Seriously. Why? He had all off season. He had preseason and he's simply not that good AND can not help himself from injury.

Is his career over?

:shrug:

Beta

Smile!
Part of me things Griffin has played his last down for the Redskins. Clearly, he's not getting the job back if he returns this year. Cousins has a solid chance of having the job locked up heading into the off-season, especially if they make the playoffs, even more so if, somehow, they win one, and it's gonna be fresh start time.
Slow down there. Just because Cousins looked good against the team that's going to land the 1st overall pick in next year's draft doesn't mean he's going to lock the job down. :lmao:

Cousins had a solid game, but RGIII looked just fine as well before he got hurt (and even immediately following the injury...since the last pass was thrown AFTER he busted his ankle!).

If Cousins does well this year then he probably locks the job down, just like Foles did with the Eagles last year. You can't argue with success and you definitely don't derail a train that has momentum (although the 72 Fins did that by benching a winning Morrall with Griese in the playoffs, so who knows). But to assume Cousins has already locked the job down for the season after a game against the woeful Jags? Come on now. Let them play a few games. If they win a few and their offense looks solid then maybe it'll become Cousins' job to lose. But at least now you get your wish to see him start, for better or for worse :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Slow down there. Just because Cousins looked good against the team that's going to land the 1st overall pick in next year's draft doesn't mean he's going to lock the job down. :lmao:

Cousins had a solid game, but RGIII looked just fine as well before he got hurt (and even immediately following the injury...since the last pass was thrown AFTER he busted his ankle!).

If Cousins does well this year then he probably locks the job down, just like Foles did with the Eagles last year. You can't argue with success and you definitely don't derail a train that has momentum (although the 72 Fins did that by benching a winning Morrall with Griese in the playoffs, so who knows). But to assume Cousins has already locked the job down for the season after a game against the woeful Jags? Come on now. Let them play a few games. If they win a few and their offense looks solid then maybe it'll become Cousins' job to lose. But at least now you get your wish to see him start, for better or for worse :buddies:

I specifically pointed out that Cousins does NOT have it made; "Cousins is gonna have his bad days and sooner rather than later..."

But, the contrast could not be greater. I have not seen RGIII look good, at all, this year or last. Kirk has that nervous excitement look, that he KNOWS what's looking for and Robert, frankly has never had it. He always looks like he's making it up as he goes. The play that took him out is 100% him; an athletic artist trying to create beauty come hell or high water. Unfortunately for him the hell and high water are omnipresent.

Beta

Smile!
I specifically pointed out that Cousins does NOT have it made; "Cousins is gonna have his bad days and sooner rather than later..."

But, the contrast could not be greater. I have not seen RGIII look good, at all, this year or last. Kirk has that nervous excitement look, that he KNOWS what's looking for and Robert, frankly has never had it. He always looks like he's making it up as he goes. The play that took him out is 100% him; an athletic artist trying to create beauty come hell or high water. Unfortunately for him the hell and high water are omnipresent.
But you also said "Clearly he's not getting the job back if he returns this year" which indicates Cousins has it made this season, so that's what I was talking about. I doubt it'll be an issue anyway since RGIII probably won't be back this year.

And he looked fine before getting hurt. 2/3 with the lone incompletion being very close (challenged, in fact), a couple of good runs, and he had them driving. It's not like Cousins came in and suddenly they played better. He threw a TD to a wide open receiver to finish RGIII's drive, then they went 3 & out the next drive. :shrug:

My wish is to go back in time and not waste those three picks.
Well, your realistic wish anyway. :lmao:

At the time it looked like a decent idea, but whoever thought RGIII with his running was going to turn out any way other than Vick was fooling themselves.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But you also said "Clearly he's not getting the job back if he returns this year" which indicates Cousins has it made this season, so that's what I was talking about. I doubt it'll be an issue anyway since RGIII probably won't be back this year. s.

Cousins has it made from the stand point that he is solid, knows the offense, is decisive and makes good decisions and this is his third year, too. I am not suggesting he is the next Tom Brady or Rivers or an all pro but, I will not be surprised if he is considered in the top half of NFL qb's at seasons end.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I watched Cousins look off a safety (completed pass), and progress through 3 reads, (completed pass) all without getting happy RGIII feet ... :shrug: I don't if I've ever seen #10 do that consistently.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I watched Cousins look off a safety (completed pass), and progress through 3 reads, (completed pass) all without getting happy RGIII feet ... :shrug: I don't if I've ever seen #10 do that consistently.

And he does it QUICK. Right now. It's only one game and maybe Jax Defense is awful but, he looks better than last year. Robert didn't.

Best comment I've read; "Jay Gruden now doesn't have to deal with benching RGIII"

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Cousins has it made from the stand point that he is solid, knows the offense, is decisive and makes good decisions and this is his third year, too. I am not suggesting he is the next Tom Brady or Rivers or an all pro but, I will not be surprised if he is considered in the top half of NFL qb's at seasons end.

So you're saying Cousins is the better QB right now, and probably has been since they both got to the 'Skins? I would agree with that. Bob III was/is just another pretty, with the flowing dreads and wide smile, face for the NFL, and met all the requirements for fan attraction, but not in the reality of "what have you done for me lately in the NFL?"

If Cousins plays solid, which I think he will, there is no reason to even consider III as the future. III will be a temporary starter elsewhere until he gets hurt - again - and then will be overtaken by the, in football reality, better QB on the roster, no matter which team.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So you're saying Cousins is the better QB right now, and probably has been since they both got to the 'Skins? I would agree with that. Bob III was/is just another pretty, with the flowing dreads and wide smile, face for the NFL, and met all the requirements for fan attraction, but not in the reality of "what have you done for me lately in the NFL?"

If Cousins plays solid, which I think he will, there is no reason to even consider III as the future. III will be a temporary starter elsewhere until he gets hurt - again - and then will be overtaken by the, in football reality, better QB on the roster, no matter which team.

It's not fair of me to say Cousins was 'better' from day one and I don't mean to. If he was, it wasn't much difference. There were rumors that their rookie year, he was 'getting it' faster and had they been drafted in the same spot, he'd have started.

My beef is that Robert had a great rookie season but, at a terrible price. That season was awesome and fun and it had potential, especially for a rookie year but, I think Mike Shanahan failed the most basic leadership test you could ever expect of a head coach when he did not MAKE Robert sit out right after that one tweak of his knee in the Seattle playoff game. He stood there, Mike, and watched a prized thoroughbred, destroy itself. I lost ALL respect for him right then and there.

Past that, last season was doomed with the entire Owner Buddy, all in for week 1 crap. Again, Mike coulda stopped that cold day one and said he MIGHT play by mid season IF his knee is sound.

So, it's not fair of me if it sounds like I am saying he was never 'great'. He's a HUGE talent. Just dumb. He has none of the self control a QB MUST have.

Now, I did write, year one, that even though he was playing good, even if he DID play good, you're still looking at Cousins and THREE first rounders, be they linemen on either side or a skill person, and a mid level QB, Cousins, OR Robert and the No Names. I would have taken A then and now.

But, if it all went by 'the book' it would be baseball and I'd not care at all. :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
It's not fair of me to say Cousins was 'better' from day one and I don't mean to. If he was, it wasn't much difference. There were rumors that their rookie year, he was 'getting it' faster and had they been drafted in the same spot, he'd have started.

My beef is that Robert had a great rookie season but, at a terrible price. That season was awesome and fun and it had potential, especially for a rookie year but, I think Mike Shanahan failed the most basic leadership test you could ever expect of a head coach when he did not MAKE Robert sit out right after that one tweak of his knee in the Seattle playoff game. He stood there, Mike, and watched a prized thoroughbred, destroy itself. I lost ALL respect for him right then and there.

Past that, last season was doomed with the entire Owner Buddy, all in for week 1 crap. Again, Mike coulda stopped that cold day one and said he MIGHT play by mid season IF his knee is sound.

So, it's not fair of me if it sounds like I am saying he was never 'great'. He's a HUGE talent. Just dumb. He has none of the self control a QB MUST have.

Now, I did write, year one, that even though he was playing good, even if he DID play good, you're still looking at Cousins and THREE first rounders, be they linemen on either side or a skill person, and a mid level QB, Cousins, OR Robert and the No Names. I would have taken A then and now.

But, if it all went by 'the book' it would be baseball and I'd not care at all. :lol:

No argument from me there. I revert to the III's rookie year during the game here in Tampa, when the Bucs had the 'Skins trailing and on the ropes late, when on third and long III took off around the left side, across the line of scrimmage, was absolutely flattened by a Bucs defender and the ref threw a flag for "roughing the QB", on a clean, legit tackle, beyond the line of scrimmage, that would have forced a fourth and very long and a punt. Instead, the 'Skins end up going down the field after that horrendous call and score the winning points.

The NFL clearly had a point to prove in having to have QB's like Bob III stay on the field for ratings. Not that they deserved to be starting QB's, but that he and others like him were the face of the NFL that the league desperately wanted to succeed.

Limbaugh was right back in the day concerning McNabb. Nothing has changed

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The NFL clearly had a point to prove in having to have QB's like Bob III stay on the field for ratings. Not that they deserved to be starting QB's, but that he and others like him were the face of the NFL that the league desperately wanted to succeed.

Limbaugh was right back in the day concerning McNabb. Nothing has changed

You were fine up until that last. Limbaugh was NOT right and he wasn't even close.

We, Redskins fans, were terrified of the guy. Maybe he wasn't the best reader of defenses of all time but, that guy was a stud. We could never get him down, he'd always pull off a screen to kill us and he had plenty of arm. What did he do, 4 NFC championship games in a row? He was NOT their weak link.

Rush said that solely to be inflammatory and it was an asinine, stupid comment to make. I lost a TON of respect for him over that. The NFL, if anything, has taken great steps to protect the Brady's and Peyton's of the league.

Grumpy

I absolutely love conspiracy theories but I won't bite on that one. Snyder maybe paying off Refs to protect RGIII, I could see that, but no way would the NFL would do it. lol

I have contended from the first time I actually saw RGIII that he would get broke up in the NFL and was laughed at when I have said over and over that he does not have a football body. Cousins playing his best is no where close to what a healthy RGIII could do in an offense utilizing his best assets. I don't know what lays ahead for the skins and RGIII but, IMO, nothing good will come of him now.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I absolutely love conspiracy theories but I won't bite on that one. Snyder maybe paying off Refs to protect RGIII, I could see that, but no way would the NFL would do it. lol

I have contended from the first time I actually saw RGIII that he would get broke up in the NFL and was laughed at when I have said over and over that he does not have a football body. Cousins playing his best is no where close to what a healthy RGIII could do in an offense utilizing his best assets. I don't know what lays ahead for the skins and RGIII but, IMO, nothing good will come of him now.

If Snyder had ALL the money in the world, he couldn't protect Bobby Trey from himself. Snyder DOES have most of the money in the world, top notch coaching and Robert can NOT help himself. I admire the no holding back. It's great for life or death situations. Not so good for a job where the most important thing is to eb able to keep getting back up.

Put his ass on a life guard tower.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Really? I, and many others, have been saying the same thing and no none laughed at us. I heard 'we'll see' but, I never heard anyone argue that he wasn't a little...slight...to take the pounding.