For The Hunters....

Lilypad

Softballkid said:
But, going to put some more corn out tonight, and then go again hopefully Friday morning... but definitely Friday afternoon Saturday morning, and maybe Saturday night....
Didn't realize "baiting"-was legal.....oh well.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
To quote the 2006-2007 Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland "Crossbows may be used to hunt deer only, with the exception of special crossbow permits for disabled hunters who may pursue all game legal for a vertical bow. The crossbow shall have a draw of not less than 75 pounds and the use of telescopic sights is permitted. Deer hunting with a crossbow during the Deer Bow Season is limited to the following dates in accordance with the Deer Bow Season regulations: September 30 - October 14, 2006 and January 15-31, 2007.

Any hunter who is 65 years of age or older or possesses a Resident Senior Hunting License can hunt deer with a crossbow in all Maryland deer hunting seasons. Hunters with physical disabilities that prevent them from using a traditional bow may apply for a special crossbow permit to hunt deer during the bow season." For anyone who wants to read up on this look at this link
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
For The Hunters.... 09-20-2006 08:25 AM BUT you cant go and shoot the damn deer while its eating though

True :yay:

But, how many hunters on private land, with no one else around or DNR never ever showing up, how are they going to know if you shot the thing while its eating or not...

Thats one of those "honesty laws" or something :lol:

Vince

Softballkid said:
That's easy, go buy a cross bow, and go get the license, and your set :yay:

No permit needed, not that I was told.
Didn't know that since I don't bow hunt. Some states like Pa, you can't use a crossbow unless you are disabled and unable to pull a bow back. My brother had to get one in Pa because his elbows are shot to hell, but he had to show Doctor type proof.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Vince said:
Didn't know that since I don't bow hunt. Some states like Pa, you can't use a crossbow unless you are disabled and unable to pull a bow back. My brother had to get one in Pa because his elbows are shot to hell, but he had to show Doctor type proof.

I just found out today that I was way off, you do need to be disabled, or have a doctor note...

But when I was getting straight for this year, the guy at WalMart asked me if I want CrossBow on there...so I thought you could use it if you had one...

HunterJJD

Softballkid said:
I just found out today that I was way off, you do need to be disabled, or have a doctor note...

But when I was getting straight for this year, the guy at WalMart asked me if I want CrossBow on there...so I thought you could use it if you had one...
There is a cross bow season for anyway to use one but to use it during the whole season you need the permit.

A lot has changed in the last few years, you may want to read the book

Ponytail

Vince said:

PA has a crossbow season now. It coincides with the blackpowder late season if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to check on it to see exactly how the crossbow season runs, but this is the first year for it. :yay:

Vince

Ponytail said:
PA has a crossbow season now. It coincides with the blackpowder late season if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to check on it to see exactly how the crossbow season runs, but this is the first year for it. :yay:
You mean anyone can hunt with a crossbow now??

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Dutch6 said:
Put it out where you can see it. Every time you walk by it pick it up and try pulling it back. Keep doing this for a while and it will come to you. I hadn't tried to pull my bow for several years. When I put it away I cranked it down to take some tention off. Now the first time I picked it up in about 4 years and I couldn't pull it back. It takes time to work those muscles back into shape. I won't use my bow this year because I was nowhere near ready. Next year those deer better watch out!
It's more-so pain in my arm still, I shoulda got that fixed

likitysplit

texas deer & MARYLAND DEER

Bustem' Down said:
I don't think so, I didn't actually see it. Fishin guy showed me the log at the game check station. I'm from Texas, so all the deer here (on base at least) look small to me.

BD, What part of Texas are you from? I live in Weatherford and hunt in Sonora and Freer.

I've killed two bucks in TX over 140inches and they both weighed less than 130 dressed.

I lived in St. Mary's county from '93-'02 and during this time killed an 8 pointer that dressed 172lbs, a 11 pointer killed in Coltons Point that dressed at 206lbs, and a doe that dressed 181lbs, yeah, I said DOE. Still have the tags from the Tackle Box........

The deer in Texas are like goats compared to Maryland. I assumed you were talking about racks.

Don't give us Texans a bad name please..............Everythings not bigger in Texas......

LS

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
likitysplit said:
BD, What part of Texas are you from? I live in Weatherford and hunt in Sonora and Freer.

I've killed two bucks in TX over 140inches and they both weighed less than 130 dressed.

I lived in St. Mary's county from '93-'02 and during this time killed an 8 pointer that dressed 172lbs, a 11 pointer killed in Coltons Point that dressed at 206lbs, and a doe that dressed 181lbs, yeah, I said DOE. Still have the tags from the Tackle Box........

The deer in Texas are like goats compared to Maryland. I assumed you were talking about racks.

Don't give us Texans a bad name please..............Everythings not bigger in Texas......

LS

On average, Maryland does have a better selection of deer, but I have seen some monster bucks in Texas...but look at the land conditions... it is more suited for deer here than Texas

HunterJJD

Softballkid said:
On average, Maryland does have a better selection of deer, but I have seen some monster bucks in Texas...but look at the land conditions... it is more suited for deer here than Texas
What ON TV???
Wake up this is the real world, you are looking at deer on TV on ranches in south Texas.

likitysplit

Softballkid said:

I agree. BTW, I was just picking at him, I couldn't be mean to a fellow Texan.

Don't get me wrong, there are some big bodied deer here but nowhere in the numbers I saw living in MD.

I'm 32 and can count on both hands the number of deer that I can remember dressing over 175lbs that I personally saw hanging and maybe one over 200lbs.

I volunteerd at the rod and gun club working the check station for a few years and saw literally dozens of deer dressed 175+. I remember one specifically, about 1995 it was a huge scragrack 3 pointer, basically had 20 inch spikes with a kicker on one side. He dressed at I believe 220 or so. What a freak he was........

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
HunterJJD said:
What ON TV???
Wake up this is the real world, you are looking at deer on TV on ranches in south Texas.

:lol: The only deer Ive ever seen are on tv :bigwhoop:

No, Ive been out there, and not on ranches... And I have seen some big boys running around....

WHICHWAYISUP?

mmm pizza
Ken King said:

No permit required if hunting on these dates

IAW Maryland DNR

Crossbow Regulations
Crossbows may be used to hunt deer only, with the exception of special crossbow permits for disabled hunters who may pursue all game legal for a vertical bow. The crossbow shall have a draw of not less than 75 pounds and the use of telescopic sights is permitted. Deer hunting with a crossbow during the Deer Bow Season is limited to the following dates in accordance with the Deer Bow Season regulations: September 30 - October 14, 2006 and January 15-31, 2007.