For those that have them...

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I didn't know exactly where to post this so don't make me :bawl: by saying meam things to me about this. I am doing a paper on this and was wondering...
How do you discuss conflicts with your supervisor without the fear of repercussions? How do you tell your supervisor how to supervise? Any one liners or web sites are welcome.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Since my boss doesn't get in until around 9:30, someone in our office has been known to leave anonymous notes on her chair regarding various issues/problems ... like how, contrary to her :bs: story she gave the big-big boss about how it was her staff's fault, it was really her own procrastination on a report that was done 3 weeks ago that was the delay in getting it out ... that she should have just signed it out when it was placed in the same spot as that "anonymous" note was weeks ago. :bubble:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by FancyBelle
How do you discuss conflicts with your supervisor without the fear of repercussions? How do you tell your supervisor how to supervise? Any one liners or web sites are welcome.
Discuss conflicts? I'm straight forward if I have a problem, if you work for a large company they typically have a standards document, stay within the guidelines and it shouldn't be a problem. I work for the government and have become versed on the laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to Federal employment, it helps to know what is acceptable and what can and cannot be done.

Tell your supervisor how to surpervise? :confused: I would say that you are asking for a bunch of problems here. If the surpervisor isn't supervising or is the one that is causing problems, by pass them and go a level above them with what you see as a problem.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Originally posted by tatercake
... like how, contrary to her :bs: story she gave the big-big boss about how it was her staff's fault, it was really her own procrastination on a report that was done 3 weeks ago that was the delay in getting it out ... that she should have just signed it out when it was placed in the same spot as that "anonymous" note was weeks ago. :bubble:
OMG! That's exactly what mine does. Not to me, but to others in my Dept.
So we should leave notes for her? Sounds good to me

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anonymous notes are immature. Adults handle conflicts by going to the other person and speaking with them directly.

crabcake

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Anonymous notes are immature. Adults handle conflicts by going to the other person and speaking with them directly.

It's about the only thing that works in our office b/c the boss doesn't take well to direct confrontation about issues. She blows 'em off and let's them snowball until we have to call in her boss or a mediator. When we followed up with the mediator to find out what, if anything, is being done about the situation, she said she'd sent the boss two emails and has yet to hear anything. :duh:

Personally, I took the matters to my boss' boss when I got no satisfaction with direct confrontation. That seemed to get her attention. Her biggest problem is she puts things off over and over and over and then they explode (usually projects/packages, etc). Then, she blames it on her staff in front of her peers. We've all basically given up covering her azz and hang her out to dry whenever it comes up any more. It sucks, but sometimes, when you have tried all the other avenues, you have to let the person "touch the hot stove". :ohwell:

Just while typing this, my coworker who did that report weeks ago just called to tell me that the boss just told her "don't you ever leave the office for an extended period of time again unless ALL your work is completed." :shocking: The girl was on month-long jury duty, and as a courtesy, came in after hours one night to do the report so the person filling in for her didn't have to (she didn't know how to do it anyway). The 'effin' nerve! :rolleyes:

crabcake

as FYI ...

our boss was selected to be the office manager two years ago over 3 other peeps in the office (no, I wasn't one of the eligibles, before you all think I'm just being bitter). Out of the four eligibles, she was the only one with absolutely NO supervisory experience and she lacked experience in the other areas of our office (HR, Audit, etc) that provide support to the head honcho. She was strictly a budget person.

It was clear the selection was made for purely political reasons vs. who would make the actual best "manager". :ohwell:

Not that I'm surprised in the least ... :duh:

willie

Originally posted by vraiblonde
That sounds good but against some management types, it would be your career ending move. If you're going it alone, the trip could be hazardous.

Originally posted by migtig
If that doesn't work, ask Dymph if you can borrow her hunny to come up and introduce him to everybody. :wink:
:howdy: ...waitaminute! You sayin that I'm so fugly that I scare everybody into quitting just so they don't run the risk of ever seeing me again?:bawl:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Originally posted by tatercake
Her biggest problem is she puts things off over and over and over and then they explode (usually projects/packages, etc). Then, she blames it on her staff in front of her peers. We've all basically given up covering her azz and hang her out to dry whenever it comes up any more. It sucks, but sometimes, when you have tried all the other avenues, you have to let the person "touch the hot stove". :ohwell:
:rolleyes:
That is what is happening in my office. You go to her with problems/concerns, and she never gets back to you. Then she puts you on a "priority" project that you bust your butt on, she gets all the credit, and then she yells at you for not getting your own work done. She is a real piece of work.

christy20657

My boss is unaproachable so I do everything through email! He tends to sit back and read it and take it all in without just hearing the key points that piss him off!

Then he usually replies by email as well, that way we both avoid the confrontation!!!!

I know, I know, I'm a coward! On the important things I approach him, the trouble is you never know how he is going to react!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by FancyBelle
She is a real piece of work.

Knowing more to this story than most, my advice is to start looking for a transfer. She is feared here on the second floor, and we don’t even work for her!

My supervisor is great, thank goodness, if I ever have a problem or concern we just talk about it, no big deal, she is also way more down to earth than most around here though.

Turtle

Wow!! Where the heck do you people work? Every company has a chain of command from the smallest to the largest. Go up the chain of command. Everybody is looking to protect their jobs. (ie: back stabbing) However, if properly documented, this can be avoided. If you do your job, then document everything. When things are properly documented, then it's easy to find the weakest link. If your boss want's to play point the finger, then it's a cutthroat game. Cover Your Ass!!! Document!!!:burning:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Turtle
Wow!! Where the heck do you people work? Every company has a chain of command from the smallest to the largest. Go up the chain of command. Everybody is looking to protect their jobs. (ie: back stabbing) However, if properly documented, this can be avoided. If you do your job, then document everything. When things are properly documented, then it's easy to find the weakest link. If your boss want's to play point the finger, then it's a cutthroat game. Cover Your Ass!!! Document!!!:burning:

:yeahthat: Excellent advice Turtle. :yay:

christy20657

Well, no chain of command here, just me and my boss. There are a few sales people who work on commission only, but my only boss, is my boss, the president and the owner of the company.