Ford F-150 questions/issues

limblips

PREMO Member
2019 F-150 FX4 Off Road 3.5L Ecoboost, bought new: Anybody have any of the following issues?

1. 10 speed transmission hard shifts both up and down 7,8,9,10
2. Loud rattle on first start of the day (already had one TSB done now on to cam phaser replacements)
3. Infotainment system went bonkers after OTA software update. Reverted to random AM station on every key cycle, lost all preset display, phone not recognized and other issues. Dealer tried 3 X (~$300.00) to fix then decided I needed a new APIM to the tune of $1320.01 not covered under warranty. (I found an as-built VIN programmed on line for $500 and did it myself in 45 minutes).

Upside is the 23.5 MPG highway, 18.9 combined!

Life long Ford guy but beginning to think otherwise.....

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

2019 F-150 FX4 Off Road, bought new: Anybody have any of the following issues?

2. Loud rattle on first start of the day (already had one TSB done now on to cam phaser replacements)
3. Infotainment system went bonkers. Reverted to random AM station on every key cycle, lost all preset display, phone not recognized and other issues. Dealer tried 3 X (~$300.00) to fix then decided I needed a new APIM to the tune of $1320.01 not covered under warranty. (I found a as-built VIN programmed on line for $500 and did it myself in 45 minutes)

First problem you've got there is that it's a Ford. Second problem it there are too many bells and whistles. And a 10 speed tyranny? Did Ford think they were building a bicycle?

Now, if is was an earlier model, say a 1995 or older Ford F-150, much more reliable and lasting, I might not be so critical. But these new trucks, from mostly all manufacturers, are just fraught with way too much unnecessary, prone to failure, crap. Hell, can they ever really be called trucks anymore?

As for the trans? Most likely the shift solenoids mounts, wiring, contacts, or control module, broken, sticking, or bad. Of course these things are inside the trans.

When all else fails, try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes and touch the battery cables together for a spell to drain any residual charge in the system. Then reconnect and test. Kinda like rebooting a computer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I'll sell you a 96 Bronco that needs some interior work, otherwise runs fine ... or did when I bought the wife an 2005 Expedition for taking the kid to High School

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
2019 F-150 FX4 Off Road 3.5L Ecoboost, bought new: Anybody have any of the following issues?

3. Infotainment system went bonkers after OTA software update. Reverted to random AM station on every key cycle, lost all preset display, phone not recognized and other issues. Dealer tried 3 X (~$300.00) to fix then decided I needed a new APIM to the tune of $1320.01 not covered under warranty. (I found an as-built VIN programmed on line for $500 and did it myself in 45 minutes).

The problem with OTA updates on the sound/nav/phone system is common.

My own trashed itself on an update just a couple months after purchase and another update, manual, fixed it.

I've noticed my own shifts hard between 7-10 in sport or tow modes but not normal or eco.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
And a 10 speed tyranny? Did Ford think they were building a bicycle?
It's not just Ford.

GM and RAM are running automatics with 8-10 gears too.

Granted, it's a bit ridiculous but they're all following suit for some reason.

limblips

PREMO Member
The problem with OTA updates on the sound/nav/phone system is common.

My own trashed itself on an update just a couple months after purchase and another update, manual, fixed it.

I've noticed my own shifts hard between 7-10 in sport or tow modes but not normal or eco.
I tried numerous manual and master updates with no joy. Nerd geek friend of mine says the problem is when the SW is updated it just adds to the registers instead of overwriting them and the registers get full over time and corrupt. Ford refuses to address the issue but rumor has it that they are being pushed against the wall. If they do decide to do something I am going after them for my ~$800 parts and diagnostics plus $99.00/hr labor!

As for the hard shifts, I first noticed mine during cruise control shifts on the highway it got progressively worse until it did it often in all modes. Ford did a warranty reprogram and replaced the separator plates(???). 12K miles later in the middle of a 600 mile road trip the trans violently downshifted to 7th and then oscillated 7,8,9 but never 10th. Trans temp climbed rapidly to the yellow range. Pulled over and shut down. Restarted and all seemed good so I drove to the nearest Ford dealer. 2-3 weeks to get it fixed there but "It should be good to get you to your destination but keep an eye on it"! Ford dealer here replaced the separator plates, some valve body, and filters. So far so good.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I tried numerous manual and master updates with no joy. Nerd geek friend of mine says the problem is when the SW is updated it just adds to the registers instead of overwriting them and the registers get full over time and corrupt. Ford refuses to address the issue but rumor has it that they are being pushed against the wall. If they do decide to do something I am going after them for my ~$800 parts and diagnostics plus $99.00/hr labor!

As for the hard shifts, I first noticed mine during cruise control shifts on the highway it got progressively worse until it did it often in all modes. Ford did a warranty reprogram and replaced the separator plates(???). 12K miles later in the middle of a 600 mile road trip the trans violently downshifted to 7th and then oscillated 7,8,9 but never 10th. Trans temp climbed rapidly to the yellow range. Pulled over and shut down. Restarted and all seemed good so I drove to the nearest Ford dealer. 2-3 weeks to get it fixed there but "It should be good to get you to your destination but keep an eye on it"! Ford dealer here replaced the separator plates, some valve body, and filters. So far so good.
Hope this one lasts for you. ( And I don't' start getting those symptoms )

Anecdotal only but seems the electronically controlled automatics have all had issues the first few years of each design.

Blister

My work truck is a 2019 F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed 4X4 with a 5.0 and regular old automatic transmission. With bed and cap full of tools. I average 18.3 mpg. Never had any performance or maintenance issues.
Commute is about 30 miles each way of local travel. Dozens of short trips of less than a mile every day. I'm no Racer X, but the company pays for gas so I punch the gas freely when needed.

Sometimes simpler is better.

truck.jpg

limblips

PREMO Member
Wow, you are one of the lucky ones I guess. I have owned 4 different 5.0s and never got over 16MPG combined. I could eke out 18-19 highway if I was easy on it with one of them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Wow, you are one of the lucky ones I guess. I have owned 4 different 5.0s and never got over 16MPG combined. I could eke out 18-19 highway if I was easy on it with one of them.
I've got the 5l in mine too. Averages around 17.6 as long as I keep my foot from mashing the go pedal.

Kinnakeet

For your consideration ...

First problem you've got there is that it's a Ford. Second problem it there are too many bells and whistles. And a 10 speed tyranny? Did Ford think they were building a bicycle?

Now, if is was an earlier model, say a 1995 or older Ford F-150, much more reliable and lasting, I might not be so critical. But these new trucks, from mostly all manufacturers, are just fraught with way too much unnecessary, prone to failure, crap. Hell, can they ever really be called trucks anymore?

As for the trans? Most likely the shift solenoids mounts, wiring, contacts, or control module, broken, sticking, or bad. Of course these things are inside the trans.

When all else fails, try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes and touch the battery cables together for a spell to drain any residual charge in the system. Then reconnect and test. Kinda like rebooting a computer.
10 speed tranny is to make up for the lack of power and torque from that 6 banger

Kinnakeet

My work truck is a 2019 F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed 4X4 with a 5.0 and regular old automatic transmission. With bed and cap full of tools. I average 18.3 mpg. Never had any performance or maintenance issues.
Commute is about 30 miles each way of local travel. Dozens of short trips of less than a mile every day. I'm no Racer X, but the company pays for gas so I punch the gas freely when needed.

Sometimes simpler is better.

View attachment 172174
I would not believe the lie-o-meter for gas milage

limblips

PREMO Member
10 speed tranny is to make up for the lack of power and torque from that 6 banger
Nay, nay! Check the numbers between the 3.5L EB vs the 5.0 and the towing capacity. And the 5.0 gets the 10 speed now too.

Kinnakeet

Nay, nay! Check the numbers between the 3.5L EB vs the 5.0 and the towing capacity. And the 5.0 gets the 10 speed now too.

That is dam impressive for a 6 banger

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wife just bought an F-150 Black Widow...5.0 Coyote V8 and the 10-speed trans. Shew...that thing is nice. Shifts like a dream...
Watched a video where they performed rear wheel dyno tests and then raqn 1/4 drags. 14.7 seconds!. If I recall correctly, that's about the same 1/4-mile times as the 1970 Hemi-Cuda.