Forrestal heads to the breakers

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

This was the ship my Father was stationed on. He was on board during the fire and was credited at being one of the guys that started to push the plane overboard to keep the missiles from exploding. I have many fond memories doing family cruises, waiting for them at port after a long trip and going on board with him while he worked for a couple of hours. It's weird but sometimes I'll be a certain place and actually smell something that's similar to the ship smell, it makes me smile. I miss that ship and my Dad as well. :frown:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This was the ship my Father was stationed on. He was on board during the fire and was credited at being one of the guys that started to push the plane overboard to keep the missiles from exploding. I have many fond memories doing family cruises, waiting for them at port after a long trip and going on board with him while he worked for a couple of hours. It's weird but sometimes I'll be a certain place and actually smell something that's similar to the ship smell, it makes me smile. I miss that ship and my Dad as well. :frown:

Wow.

The official Navy documentary with all the video of the disaster was shown to every one of us new-hire Navy ordnance engineers back in the day. An introduction to show why we had to take our jobs seriously (developing insensitive munitions was the current major focus at the time). It sure got my attention, no doubt about that...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I wonder what forgotten bits and bobs will be found as the ship is dismantled

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Wow.

The official Navy documentary with all the video of the disaster was shown to every one of us new-hire Navy ordnance engineers back in the day. An introduction to show why we had to take our jobs seriously (developing insensitive munitions was the current major focus at the time). It sure got my attention, no doubt about that...

I pulled up old video on-line and the fire was unreal. Her nickname was the Forrestfire! :lol: My Dad worked ordinance. I believe that fire changed the way things were done either on deck or with firefighting.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I I believe that fire changed the way things were done either on deck or with firefighting.

It certainly brought about changes in ordnance design...a LOT of them. Rocket and missile motor case design changed...propellant and explosive formulations changed..firing train designs were developed for increased resistance to electromagnetic radiation...all ordnance is now rigorously tested for its resistance to electromag radiation, heat (cook off) , etc..

glhs837

Power with Control
I pulled up old video on-line and the fire was unreal. Her nickname was the Forrestfire! :lol: My Dad worked ordinance. I believe that fire changed the way things were done either on deck or with firefighting.

Was shown in Navy AO school. A coworker of mine when I was at RWATS was actually ordnance on the ship when it happened. He was far belowdecks when it happened, but he talked some about the cleanup...........

Assumptions and complacency kill.

somdwatch

It was part of all aviation training in the early 80's.

While on the Nimitz, the squadron I was in had a Deck CWO who was an Airman during the fire on Forrestall.
He was credited with the Nimitz not making the same mistakes, FOAM vs Water!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
It's called "Trial by Fire: A Carrier Fights For Life" (1973). The first time I saw it was in 1975 aboard USS Worden CG-18 in Yokuska. It became the standard of what not to do in shipboard firefighting.

Have seen it many, many times in the reserves, always in Jax before starting the required Firefighting Refresher Training every other year.

A cousin of mine who lives around Baltimore was stationed on "Old Tinderbox" (his words) from 73 - 76. He told me some kind of fire per day was the norm.

But what a grand old lady she was.

Sold for a penny. Just hope this scrap does not go to China.....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
wasn't there some ordinance dating back to WW II as well ?

We're still using ordnance that dates back to WWII... slap fins and a seeker head on a 50 year old dumb bomb and you now have a 21st century smart bomb..

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Ain't no reason to get rid of ordinance that blows up the same now as then. Making it more accurate is even better.:buddies:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
First of all, it's ORDNANCE, not ordinance.

Second, we are not still using WWII ordnance, the bomb bodies we are using were designed back in the late 50's but were manufactured within the last 10-15 years. All you have to do is look at the lot number, the forth and fifth digit will tell you what year the item was manufactured.

Third, yes, there was WWII bomb loaded on the aircraft that day due to the bomb shortage caused my McNamara's bomb shortage.

IYAOYAS:buddies:

C

czygvtwkr

They put "sliding boards" on the deck now to make it where they can toss the stuff overboard a lot easier.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Damn, missed the boat. Turn a penny into a few mil. Wonder what the kickback rate is? :sarcasm:

I'm actually surprised that Navy didn't have to pay a lot of money to have the ship scrapped. The costs associated with scrapping a ship that old and that large within the reach of EPA and OSHA regulations are quite high. That's why so many end up being broken up in Bangladesh instead..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
First of all, it's ORDNANCE, not ordinance.

sorry - thanks ...

Third, yes, there was WWII bomb loaded on the aircraft that day due to the bomb shortage caused my McNamara's bomb shortage.

thanks - I was just clarifying the History Channel Story I saw