Forrestal heads to the breakers

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm actually surprised that Navy didn't have to pay a lot of money to have the ship scrapped. The costs associated with scrapping a ship that old and that large within the reach of EPA and OSHA regulations are quite high. That's why so many end up being broken up in Bangladesh instead..

What Gilligan said, the breaker is responsible for removing all of the hazmat, in this case, in accordance with all EPA regs, and these ships are loaded with an incredible cocktail of stuff, from PCBs to asbestos, aviation fluids of an amazing variety. As he said, a lot end up going overseas, where it's pretty crazy, there's a documentary on it. I'll post a link soon, but basically villagers come from hundreds of miles around, and get paid a pittance, safety gear is non-existent, they use scraps of fabris for respirators, and whatever they can rig out of old bottle for welding and grinding eye protection. But for a ship with this history, the govt doesn't dare send it to that fate, it would cause havoc, so it gets bid out domestically, and the margins after you comply with all the regs makes it a gamble that you will make any money at all, thats why it sold for a penny.

GURPS, is the whole acronym that's throwing you, or just the A instead of of the O? AF and Army guys dont call themselves aviation ordnancemen, they use the term armament

GW8345

Not White House Approved
thanks - I was just clarifying the History Channel Story I saw
I won't believe half the stuff the History Channel says, I've seen so many errors in their "factual" stuff it's laughable.

The bombs that detonated within the first five minutes of the fire were of WWII vintage.

Edit: just to clarify, the WWII bombs had 1.5 minute cook off time rate, the newer Mk 80 series (kind we use today but NTP) had a 2.5 minute cook off time rate. The bombs that cooked off first, under the A-4's were WWII era bombs, the Mk 80's took a little while longer.

http://a4skyhawk.org/sites/a4skyhawk.org/files/images/forrestaldeck.jpg

Last edited:
This was the ship my Father was stationed on. He was on board during the fire and was credited at being one of the guys that started to push the plane overboard to keep the missiles from exploding. I have many fond memories doing family cruises, waiting for them at port after a long trip and going on board with him while he worked for a couple of hours. It's weird but sometimes I'll be a certain place and actually smell something that's similar to the ship smell, it makes me smile. I miss that ship and my Dad as well. :frown:

As was my cousin from KY. Unfortunately, he was one of the many trapped below decks and didn't make it.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Sailed thousands of miles with the USS Kitty Hawk Battle Groups when I was stationed on USS Julius A Furer (FFG-6) and USS Mobile Bay (CG-53) on the East Coast during the 80's... RIP Old Girl... :buddies: