Free foal

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I hope you are a strict vegetarian, because they do the same to the cows, chickens, pigs, and other meat animals that end up on US dinner tables.

Why would it be terrible for those horses to be treated that way, but OK for cows to be treated that way? Eating commercial beef/chicken/pork is promoting those slaughter practices.

Anyone who is genuinely against slaughter should (in my opinion) either be a vegetarian, or purchase all their meat from sources that can be verified to raise and process their animals humanely. I can almost guarantee what you pick up at the local supermarket is NOT the product of humane slaughter. There ARE local sources for humanely raised meat... but you will pay about 3x more for it. But if your conviction is truly against animal cruelty... put your money where your mouth is.

One of my pet peeves is when people cry out against any slaughter of horses, but they love their burgers and chicken.

A good video regarding the food on your dinner table:
YouTube - Meet your Meat

I agree, idustry farming is not good for anybody!

Duckz

I hope you are a strict vegetarian, because they do the same to the cows, chickens, pigs, and other meat animals that end up on US dinner tables.

:yeahthat:

Also, slaughter is the least of it. Most animals raised to go on our dinner tables live in horrid conditions. Read anything by Michael Pollen (The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food are both excellent) or watch the documentary Food Inc.

Banning horse slaughter in the United States was misguided IMO.

highnote

:yeahthat:
Banning horse slaughter in the United States was misguided IMO.

I agree. If we were going to ban horse slaughter, we needed to ban all slaughter. Horses aren't the only ones subject to horrible deaths in the slaughterhouses. But since there's no way the US would or could ban ALL slaughter, I think the solution was to adopt stricter slaughter regulations. Banning horse slaughter in the US really didn't help anyone... it didn't help all the cows, pigs, chickens, etc that are still subject to those horrid practices, and it didnt help the horses because now their suffering is often prolonged and worsened as they are shipped outside the US for slaughter.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I agree. If we were going to ban horse slaughter, we needed to ban all slaughter. Horses aren't the only ones subject to horrible deaths in the slaughterhouses. But since there's no way the US would or could ban ALL slaughter, I think the solution was to adopt stricter slaughter regulations. Banning horse slaughter in the US really didn't help anyone... it didn't help all the cows, pigs, chickens, etc that are still subject to those horrid practices, and it didnt help the horses because now their suffering is often prolonged and worsened as they are shipped outside the US for slaughter.
Well stated. :yay: