Friendly's

SmallTown

Football season!
I havn't seen anyything posted about this (maybe I just missed it) but does anyone know why the Friendly's in First Colony shut down? Great Ice Cream, sucky food and service. Did their business go flat because of this or was there a disagreement between First Colony and Friendly's?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I remember a long thread about the dissatisfaction of the local Friendly's on the old board. I didn't even know they closed, as I've only been in there once and that was a few months ago. We were looking for some ice cream to buy and the front freezer was totally empty. When we asked about the ice cream, the counter person said it was all in the back. So the person came back out and said they didn't have the flavor we wanted...never went back. That they went OOB doesn't surprise me one bit.

SmallTown

Football season!
Yea, we just noticed the signs were missing when we went to Giant today and decided to stop to see what had happened. The sign on the door just said that they lease expired and they shut down last week ( I believe, or maybe it was two weeks ago ) The wording did not point to wether Friendly's did not renew the lease, or if First Colony did not want to renew the lease

watercolor

yeah yeah
I am very glad that it was shut down. They sucked big time. It was not even worth the time to anyone to go there. I responded to it on another thread a long time ago. Go back Small town and look it up

SmallTown

Football season!
I remember the thread where everyone was trashing Friendly's, I think I may have even put in my experience there

pilot

I liked the ice cream and food at Friendly's, even though I'll agree that the service wasn't great. Still, I've had worse experiences. I'm sorry they went out of business.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well I personally did not think that friendly's really had a place down here. I think they need to put perkins back in. They had a enormus out come there..and took out the only coffe type shop in the are. That is all someone needs to do it pick up the dern contract with them, and know how to pay the bills.

But back to what I was saying. They friendly's did not need to be in that area I guess. Not being a snob but putting that next to a Ruby Tuesdays was not a smart idea at all ....knowing they have better appitite appealers and also, the bar...and a place where its just nicer. But...eh what the heck do I know.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by watercolor23
I think they need to put perkins back in. They had a enormus out come there..and took out the only coffe type shop in the are. That is all someone needs to do it pick up the dern contract with them, and know how to pay the bills.
I agree with that! What I don't understand is how that place, Alice's, even stays open. Sucky food and service and I never see more than a few cars there at any given time.

I think that place bites big time :barf:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jetmonkey
The original topic is Friendly's, not Perkin's or Alice's. If you want to make personal attacks on them, please do it in Nimby with the rest of the children. This thread is for educated wealthy adults only.
:roflmao:

Please accept my ever so humble apology O Great Educated Wealthy One! :wink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well I dunno either. There has to be something holding it open. I rarely ever see more than like maybe 7 cars at a time in the parking lot. I even called after the service I got..and reamed them out. And they were like yea uh huh. Someone should write to the paper about it. I am sure alot of people would agree. Or even if we start a thread on Alices or something..and then I will print it out...and send it to them

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by watercolor23
Well I personally did not think that friendly's really had a place down here. I think they need to put perkins back in. They had a enormus out come there..and took out the only coffe type shop in the are. That is all someone needs to do it pick up the dern contract with them, and know how to pay the bills.

But back to what I was saying. They friendly's did not need to be in that area I guess. Not being a snob but putting that next to a Ruby Tuesdays was not a smart idea at all ....knowing they have better appitite appealers and also, the bar...and a place where its just nicer. But...eh what the heck do I know.

Well I have eaten at Friendlys a total of four times, and each time I went there, the service sucked, the food was greasy and the restuarnt was dirty. After that I said I would never go back. I am glad to see them go. I would like to see something like a Red Lobster or an Olive Garden come here. It would do really well.

As far as Alices, did you know that they are the same owners as the ones who owned Perkins? They didn't want to spend the 10K it took to remodel so they went away from the chain. I think the only reason they stay open is because the owners also own Sugar Shack, and Pressed for Time. I think they are supporting the business. If I were to bet money, the loss on that place is saving them money in taxes.

watercolor

yeah yeah
The original topic is Friendly's, not Perkin's or Alice's. If you want to make personal attacks on them, please do it in Nimby with the rest of the children. This thread is for educated wealthy adults only.

OH GREAT MONKEY MAN! I am so sorry. Please....*gets on her knees and begs* FORGIVE ME! please dont exhile me! lol

SmallTown

Football season!

Now you're getting it. Welcome aboard!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I thought perhaps he copied from SmallTown and fudged the words...... :lol:

Kidding Jet!!! :kiss:

Hardcrab

Lets hear it for Crackerbarrel!!! Though Red Lobster & Olive Garden ain't to shabby either. Anybody eaten at Macaroni Grill. Excellent!!

hardcrab

watercolor

yeah yeah
mmmmm now I would go for a crackerbarrel :yum: but honestly I dont think they would make it here...people would be all over it at first..but then...they would like slow down..and well yea..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Hardcrab
Anybody eaten at Macaroni Grill. Excellent!!
Macaroni Grill is pretty good.

And I am ever so impressed when the waitstaff can write their name backwards and upsidedown. :razz:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by jeneisen

As far as Alices, did you know that they are the same owners as the ones who owned Perkins? They didn't want to spend the 10K it took to remodel so they went away from the chain. I think the only reason they stay open is because the owners also own Sugar Shack, and Pressed for Time. I think they are supporting the business. If I were to bet money, the loss on that place is saving them money in taxes.

The people that own the Sugar Shack and Pressed4Time DO NOT own and have never owned any part of Perkins/Alices. The people who owned Perkins/Alices own the Rhumb Line, now the warf and the other partner is dead.
The only real part you got half way right is that they would not spend money to remodel the restaurant.... BUT the number to do this was closer to $200,000. for both the Leonardtown and California restaurant.

Next,,,,, as I stated before in earlier posts, Bob Evans purchased the Friendlys and they will be open for business in October.
Friendlys which was owned by FrendCo, who is part of DavCo(Wendys) has all of their restaurants for sale. They made the mistake of taking the fastr food mentality and tried to execute a full service restaurant. They also over expanded to fast and found themselves short on management. Location next to another restaurant, be it Outback or Ruby Tuesdays is a win win situation for both restaurants. They are two different restaurants, serving two different market segments. Why do you think that food courts are so successful?

As far as Red Lobster or the Olive Garden are concerned, forget it. The demos will not carry their requirements. Both have looked at the area and both have decided for now that St Marys is not on their list of places to go. This was from regional directors for both companies. It might change in the future, but not now.

The other problem about the service at some of our restaurants is and probably will be for some time, the lack of employees and proper management. Managers for these new restaurants, such as Damons, are from out of state. Also other key people are brought in to operate the restaurant. With the summer almost over, wait and see what happens at some of these restaurants when the kids go back to school. More poor service.

To end this rant, let me also say that anyone who would open or keep open a failing business to "save taxes" is a fool and doesn't belong in business.

Last edited: