Friken hoarders......... cant buy a damn freezer.

SamSpade

I am curious - isn't the only use for a garage freezer fricken hoarding?

We have one in the garage. We got it from our in-laws when they moved to assisted living, although it did in fact, replace one we HAD there, that was broken.

THAT one, we got for a very specific reason - we found that we could save money on meat by buying a whole side of beef, a whole cow or a whole pig, all at once. And it was of very good quality. A few times a year I would have a big chunk of cash which sadly would get nickel and dimed away, and we decided a few years back to just start buying large meat purchases.

Sadly - that luxury has passed. So it has been repurposed. When I see really good meat bargains, I go ahead and buy as much as I can. Extra turkey at Thanksgiving time, extra corned beef around St Patties. During the height of the pandemic, some stores would sell large bags of chicken thighs for a song. I think our extra freezer barely has an item in it that WASN'T on mark down. A while back, a neighbor of ours moved away, and he had several freezers in his garage, because he was a hunter. His freezers were full of his stuff, plus his wife stocked up on things like bones and chicken parts for stock.

But in case you are wondering, we haven't bought an extra freezer or refrigeration unit in a few years - the current situation had no impact.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I hope dryers are in stock because we are going to need one soon. Ours is making a horrible screeching sound and husband has fixed it already a couple times recently. Most recently was a broken belt.
Ordered a new dryer this morning. Says delivery will happen on Thursday. We'll see.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Ordered a new dryer this morning. Says delivery will happen on Thursday. We'll see.
I had no idea that some appliance didn't come with power cords. Had to make a run to Lowe's last night to pick one up. Got out 10 minutes before closing time.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Seriously!?!
Yes. I was telling a coworker about getting a new dryer and he asked if it comes with a plug. I brought up the item and in small print, it said no plug was included.

Includes dryer only; for connection, new dryer duct and power cord required; manufacturers recommend semi-rigid ducts

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yes. I was telling a coworker about getting a new dryer and he asked if it comes with a plug. I brought up the item and in small print, it said no plug was included.

Includes dryer only; for connection, new dryer duct and power cord required; manufacturers recommend semi-rigid ducts
That sucks!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
That sucks!
Luckily because we were going to move the old dryer outside, I noticed I would need a 4 prong plug. I would have probably assumed I would need a 3 prong one. Guess it's a good thing we couldn't get the old one through the doorway and outside because it has been raining all morning.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There are various 220v outlets out there so they don't know the type you have. You could have simply repurposed the "pig-tail" from your old unit as long as it is in good shape.

DaSDGuy

If you normally keep a larger stock of frozen goods than your freezer can hold, no. We'd been kicking the idea around for years now, but I have an upcoming 30 day work trip and that tipped us over the line. Meal prep and freezing can take up some space. Same thing with paper goods. Wife has always kept about a months supply on hand. Just our normal. Keeping a large stock during normal times isn't hoarding, rapidly purchasing more than you normally do is, IMO anyway.
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know I'm not hoarding.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I am curious - isn't the only use for a garage freezer fricken hoarding?

Depends on what you mean by "hoarding" I have two "garage" freezers..a chest and an upright. The upright is a commercial freezer and huge. I keep both pretty full most of the time with fish, soft crabs and crab cakes, beef, venison, lamb and pork, including all the different sausage we make.

We buy a whole black Angus every year, process a whole hog every year, a whole lamb, etc etc

SamSpade

I had no idea that some appliance didn't come with power cords. Had to make a run to Lowe's last night to pick one up. Got out 10 minutes before closing time.

Having replaced so many appliances - yeah, pretty much anything running on 220 won't ship with one.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Yep. With the dryer I just bought in March - I remembered this because of the dryer we bought for our house in Florida, though.

There was also an option on the "you may need this" section at the bottom of the page online. So I added it there.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Yep. With the dryer I just bought in March - I remembered this because of the dryer we bought for our house in Florida, though.

There was also an option on the "you may need this" section at the bottom of the page online. So I added it there.
I saw that at the bottom but didn't think about having to need to buy a plug. Would have probably gotten the wrong one anyway because I thought ours was a 3 prong and it is actually a 4 prong.