Frontmen vs The Band

thurley42

HY;FR
Larry said something in the GNR thread that started me thinking. He said that singers make pop, and the band defines the music. I think that is true in most cases, but I think there are epic singers who have a unique style that supercedes that of the whole.

We talked about this over lunch and I'm curious as to what you all think. What frontmen man the band, not just complimented the music?

I'm talking about vocal skill only, there have been many front men who for whatever reason, antics, fashion, overall rockstar auroa have elevated the band to another level.

I'll throw one out there, I think Chris Cornell's vocal range and distinct vocal sound made Soundgarden, and Audioslave.

What say you?

Hank

my war
Larry said something in the GNR thread that started me thinking. He said that singers make pop, and the band defines the music. I think that is true in most cases, but I think there are epic singers who have a unique style that supercedes that of the whole.

We talked about this over lunch and I'm curious as to what you all think. What frontmen man the band, not just complimented the music?

I'm talking about vocal skill only, there have been many front men who for whatever reason, antics, fashion, overall rockstar auroa have elevated the band to another level.

I'll throw one out there, I think Chris Cornell's vocal range and distinct vocal sound made Soundgarden, and Audioslave.

What say you?

No doubt! I think that holds true for most bands... But, most times when the singer tries to go solo, it falls flat and doesn't live up to the band they were from... I think you could say that about Cornell as well...

Larry Gude

Strung Out

What say you?

Let's make sure we are clear and stay on rock and not pop. The Police were Sting and only Sting; Pop.

To me Soundgarden is THIS groove;

The singer, like Axl, fit and was complimentary to the band. Does Audioslave hold a candle to SG?

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Dio, Lemmy, Tom Keifer (Cinderella), Taime Downe (Faster Pussycat), Freddie Mercury, Sting, Jesse James Dupree (Jackyl), Jason McMaster (Dangerous Toys) and Rob Halford off the top of my head.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

What say you?
Geddy Lee, Freddy Mercury and Mark Knopfler

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As great as Freddy Mercury was, it was still Queen. One was nothing without the other.

I am trying to think of exceptions to the Gude rule.

A buddy of mine, guitar and vocals, was the heart of his old band and became the heart of his subsequent bands which were all more successful, all metal but, all obscure so, that doesn't count.

thurley42

HY;FR
Let's make sure we are clear and stay on rock and not pop. The Police were Sting and only Sting; Pop.

To me Soundgarden is THIS groove;

The singer, like Axl, fit and was complimentary to the band. Does Audioslave hold a candle to SG?

No Audioslave and SG aren't, I just relating the common thread. I still think that Chris Cornell made Soundgarden. To me he he made the band, not the music. :buddies:

Dio, Lemmy, Tom Keifer (Cinderella), Taime Downe (Faster Pussycat), Freddie Mercury, Sting, Jesse James Dupree (Jackyl), Jason McMaster (Dangerous Toys) and Rob Halford off the top of my head.

Holy hairbands Batman!:killingme I orginally thought of Freddie, but it's a little poppish...so I didn't know if it fit.

dontknowwhy

Geddy Lee of RUSH

Personally, if David Lee Roth wasn't such a douche, I'd have to say him as well...just didn't like them as much with Sammy or Gary Scharrone

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
As great as Freddy Mercury was, it was still Queen. One was nothing without the other.

I am trying to think of exceptions to the Gude rule.

A buddy of mine, guitar and vocals, was the heart of his old band and became the heart of his subsequent bands which were all more successful, all metal but, all obscure so, that doesn't count.
I've got to disagree with you on this one, I've tried listening to Queen w/o Freddie and just can't get in to it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What frontmen man the band, not just complimented the music?

I ?

Let's be clear on the question, folks.

The music is every bit as much the band as Geddy. I am shocked anyone would suggest otherwise for Rush especially given all the legendary instrumentals they did not to mention that guy, what's his face, perhaps the greatest rock drummer of all time.

dontknowwhy

since you mentioned DIO, then I would have to say Ozzy...after him, Sabbath just lost something using DIO & Iome. As far as your hair bands, I always felt most of these lead singers could be interchangeable with any of their respective bands. they all just sounded too alike to me

Hank

my war

The music is every bit as much the band as Geddy. I am shocked anyone would suggest otherwise for Rush especially given all the legendary instrumentals they did not to mention that guy, what's his face, perhaps the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Neil Peart

thurley42

HY;FR
Geddy Lee of RUSH

Personally, if David Lee Roth wasn't such a douche, I'd have to say him as well...just didn't like them as much with Sammy or Gary Scharrone

See, you sub out DLR, or Sammy, or even Gary, you still have Eddie's cutting edge guitar in the back that was a HUGE part of Van Halen's music. Sammy is a performer, that's for sure. But as we've seen, it's still lived on without him in one fashion or another.:buddies:

I've got to disagree with you on this one, I've tried listening to Queen w/o Freddie and just can't get in to it.

No, there is no Queen without Freddie...they shouldn't even call themselves Princess....Freddie Mercury voice is what brought me to the band, not Brian May.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Holy hairbands Batman!:killingme I orginally thought of Freddie, but it's a little poppish...so I didn't know if it fit.

Sid Vicious, Ian Stuart, Billie Joe Armstrong, Billy Milano, Ben Kowalewicz and Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
since you mentioned DIO, then I would have to say Ozzy...after him, Sabbath just lost something using DIO & Iome. As far as your hair bands, I always felt most of these lead singers could be interchangeable with any of their respective bands. they all just sounded too alike to me

Good one. Sabbath lost a lot but, they kept going and, with Dio, were still huge.

dontknowwhy

so great you can't remember his name?...you do realize with that statement alone, you just made the OPs case, right?

the synth music of RUSH sounds no different than the synth crap from Styx or ELP Larry

Last edited: