Fruit Flies Everywhere

steppinthrax

So I'm not familiar with SoMD insects to much. Anyway I have fruit flies everywhere in my house. They are especially in my kitchen and my basement. They seem to like the trash cans. I've taken out the trash and cleaned up the best I could. I think this is something based on the seasons.... I'm in Calvert County

Hank

my war
steppinthrax said:
So I'm not familiar with SoMD insects to much. Anyway I have fruit flies everywhere in my house. They are especially in my kitchen and my basement. They seem to like the trash cans. I've taken out the trash and cleaned up the best I could. I think this is something based on the seasons.... I'm in Calvert County

Fill up half a cup with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of Dawn dish washing soap.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I put the same mixture in an old salt shaker - flies go in, can't get out. Works great!

Don't leave any fruits or vegetables on your counter, and wipe up anything sweet/sticky that gets spilled immediately.

Welcome to Southern Maryland in the fall!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Fill up half a cup with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of Dawn dish washing soap.

:yeahthat:

Although, I did read somewhere that you should put some plastic wrap over the cup and poke a bunch of holes in the top of it with a tooth pick to keep them contained.

Hubby and I are still arguing over whether covered or uncovered is the bast way. We haven't proven it satisfactorily either way.

Don't buy bananas for a while -- they really bring them in if you're slow to eat the bananas! :lol:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I had them bad about a month ago. I got a Venus fly trap which was cool to watch, but just wasn't enough, I did the vinegar thing, which worked like a charm, haven't seen any since. I also noticed they hang around the drains of sinks, I put a mixture of bleach and water down all the drains. They seem to like toothpaste and sweet smelling body wash. I haven't seen any in a while now.

FED_UP

I had them bad about a month ago. I got a Venus fly trap which was cool to watch, but just wasn't enough, I did the vinegar thing, which worked like a charm, haven't seen any since. I also noticed they hang around the drains of sinks, I put a mixture of bleach and water down all the drains. They seem to like toothpaste and sweet smelling body wash. I haven't seen any in a while now.

Well since it could be body wash, I recommend you not take a bath for 3-4 days, and if you want to have some fun, I saw tennis racket zappers at walmart.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Well since it could be body wash, I recommend you not take a bath for 3-4 days, and if you want to have some fun, I saw tennis racket zappers at walmart.

I saw them too. My husband had them in Iraq a couple years ago, but of course the bugs there were huge which made it much more fun.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
get a bottle of wine, drink most of it, and then leave it out on the counter..works like a charm! and you get to drink wine, so its a double winner :killingme

tipsymcgee

Forget the name but the pest company gave me a bottle of gel to put in the drains after you're done with the sink for the night. The flies actually go there and hatch, I believe. They love stale beer cans too, if you recycle or have them around. Wash everything out good and use the vinegar-cup-saran wrap trick, works pretty good.

Justme2

Just Joking since

Since you are new here clean the beer bottles up:buddies:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr

I knew about the apple cider vinegar, but not the dish soap.

I've got a cool funnel sticking out of my fruit-fly trap.

What is the deal with the dish soap?

cataicky

No lie. I read somewhere that leaving out MD 20/20 will kill all the fruit flies faster than apple cider vinegar, so fast it claimed to get rid of them overnight.

libby

What about house flies? We seem to have an extraordinary number of them out on the front porch and in the shrubbery in front of the porch. A couple fly in every darn time the door opens.
God any ideas on a spray or something to kill these nasty things?

PeoplesElbow

I knew about the apple cider vinegar, but not the dish soap.

I've got a cool funnel sticking out of my fruit-fly trap.

What is the deal with the dish soap?
Dish soap causes the surface tension of the liquid to be way less than normal and they fall in and drown when they normally could just stand on top of the liquid.