Funeral Attire

Cowgirl

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow, and I don't have much funeral experience (thankfully). I bought a pants suit today, and I don't like it. I was in a rush and I didn't get exactly what I wanted. Well, I have a pair of charcoal/dark gray dress slacks that I really like. I just need a shirt to go with it. I'm not sure if it has to be black, or if a color would work. I bought a really nice wine colored shirt to go with the suit, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to wear without a jacket over it. I have 2 black shirts I could wear with the charcoal pants. They're both black button up, one has very thin vertical shimmery lines in it. The other one needs a black camisole underneath. Help!

M

missperky

I wore black pants and a colored shirt to prayers for my dad and all black for the day of the funeral. Guess that was right. If not...:ohwell:

belvak

Happy Camper
I have a funeral to attend tomorrow, and I don't have much funeral experience (thankfully). I bought a pants suit today, and I don't like it. I was in a rush and I didn't get exactly what I wanted. Well, I have a pair of charcoal/dark gray dress slacks that I really like. I just need a shirt to go with it. I'm not sure if it has to be black, or if a color would work. I bought a really nice wine colored shirt to go with the suit, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to wear without a jacket over it. I have 2 black shirts I could wear with the charcoal pants. They're both black button up, one has very thin vertical shimmery lines in it. The other one needs a black camisole underneath. Help!

The charcoal pants and either shirt should work fine (with the cami, of course). Things are not anywhere near what they were years ago. I've seen so many different things at funerals. When my Uncle's brother passed, most people were in jeans. He wanted it that way (passed from cancer and made many of the arrangements ahead of time). Sorry for your loss. :huggy:

Cowgirl

The charcoal pants and either shirt should work fine (with the cami, of course). Things are not anywhere near what they were years ago. I've seen so many different things at funerals. When my Uncle's brother passed, most people were in jeans. He wanted it that way (passed from cancer and made many of the arrangements ahead of time). Sorry for your loss. :huggy:

Do you think the wine colored shirt would be alright with the charcoal pants? My sister seems to think people don't wear strictly black anymore. The wine shirt looks better than either of the black shirts.

Tina2001aniT

Do you think the wine colored shirt would be alright with the charcoal pants? My sister seems to think people don't wear strictly black anymore. The wine shirt looks better than either of the black shirts.

Where is the funeral? Funeral home? church?

belvak

Happy Camper

The wine would be fine (didn't mean to make a rhyme). In my experience (unfortunately, too much), people aren't dressing just in black anymore. Colors are okay. The main biggie that gets me is when the young girls show up in skimpy tops with no jacket or blazer to go over top. But that doesn't even seem to be looked down upon anymore. I have even seen family members of the deceased wear flowers or prints.

Cowgirl

Where is the funeral? Funeral home? church?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. The viewing tonight was in a funeral home. I was under the impression that the funeral was at the cemetery. I'm finding out the details tomorrow.

The wine would be fine (didn't mean to make a rhyme). In my experience (unfortunately, too much), people aren't dressing just in black anymore. Colors are okay. The main biggie that gets me is when the young girls show up in skimpy tops with no jacket or blazer to go over top. But that doesn't even seem to be looked down upon anymore. I have even seen family members of the deceased wear flowers or prints.

It's not skimpy. It's a blouse. I'd wear it to work.

Tina2001aniT

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. The viewing tonight was in a funeral home. I was under the impression that the funeral was at the cemetery. I'm finding out the details tomorrow.

It's not skimpy. It's a blouse. I'd wear it to work.

I say wear whatever you will feel comfortable in. I think the wine blouse would certainly be appropriate, but if you are going to feel awkward, don't wear it. :shrug:

:huggy: I am sorry for your loss

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pretty much you can wear whatever you want, except jeans, I would think. It's the thought that counts. You're there. That's all that matters.

Pooh31

I know what you mean by people not dressin up anymore.

I flipped out when I saw what my nieces work to my father in laws funeral back in January. I swear they looked like they were ready to go bar hopping.
My girls were dressed in a nice black pant suit, hubby wore a suit and I had on a black dress.

At my aunts funeral, we wore jeans. She did not want anything big, she just wanted my father, hubby and I there to put her in the ground after she was cremeated. That is what we did just for her.

lbreder

2into4
I dont think it matter what you wear as long as you are there for support and to say your final good byes. Going to a funereal shouldnt be an all black dress attire just look presentable and dont worry cause most of the focus will be on the person at rest. Sorry to hear this person passed! I work in a place where they go by 3's so I guess its a pretty common thing for me.

J

jjsmommy99

it's a funeral, i don't think ppl will be looking at you or care what you wear.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

:yeahthat:

The wine shirt is fine. It's already an uncomfortable situation, you might as well feel comfortable. I always recommend that you would wear what you would wear to a business meeting. No point in extremely formal head to toe black anymore.

And I agree with Blevak, the only thing that bothers me, is when women dress like hootchie mommas on the way to the bar. That's not the place or time for it.

I understand when some show up in blue jeans, because depending on the circumstances, that might be all they own, and they are coming to pay their respects, not show off.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I think she's concerned with doing the right thing and not offending anyone by wearing the wrong thing. If she were attending a funeral of a relative of mine, I'd care what she was wearing.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
:yeahthat:

The wine shirt is fine. It's already an uncomfortable situation, you might as well feel comfortable. I always recommend that you would wear what you would wear to a business meeting. No point in extremely formal head to toe black anymore.

And I agree with Blevak, the only thing that bothers me, is when women dress like hootchie mommas on the way to the bar. That's not the place or time for it.

I understand when some show up in blue jeans, because depending on the circumstances, that might be all they own, and they are coming to pay their respects, not show off.

BINGO - if cowgirl is having issues now about what to wear, it sounds like she probably won't feel comfortable at the funeral because she will be wondering if she looks okay.

Cowgirl

:rolleyes: I don't want to offend the family of the deceased. I'm not UTD on funeral fashion, which is why I asked the question.

I think she's concerned with doing the right thing and not offending anyone by wearing the wrong thing. If she were attending a funeral of a relative of mine, I'd care what she was wearing.

Thank you.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
BINGO - if cowgirl is having issues now about what to wear, it sounds like she probably won't feel comfortable at the funeral because she will be wondering if she looks okay.

I don't think that's the case at all. Cowgirl is just wanting to be respectful of both the deceased and the family.