Furloughs Letters Delayed 2 weeks

rmorse

Well, what I meant by mortgages, is bills. You know your mortgage, elect bill, food, medical, etc. People living paycheck to paycheck with a 20% cut may have a tough time. I know that may be difficult for some to comprehend.

Had you said bills, I wouldn't have said anything. "I know that may be difficult for some to comprehend." I'm sorry, should I have assumed that when you said "mortgage" you meant "every household bill?" As noted above, of course it's going to be hard to swallow a 20% cut. But if you cut out the rest of the non-essential crap and still are having a hard time meeting your mortgage, then maybe your mortgage is a bit too high. Or, your other bills are a bit too high, and you should consider ratcheting back your credit card spending. Or consider a cheaper car. Or get rid of the camper. Or blah blah blah.

Either way, yes....as I said before, a 20% cut sucks. It's not chump change. But if you're losing the roof over your head, then you might be living a little too close to that edge. Or maybe I'm too prepared. I dunno.

rmorse

:sarcasm: noted. But ya didn't aswer muh quesschin.

Didn't answer and deflected because I dunno. Personally, my mortgage payment is about 40% my take home pay, but I also got a killer deal on a foreclosure and it's not the house I want...not my dream house. That can wait. When I go to my dream house, I'm probably going to shoot for around 60%. But I have no idea what's "right." It was just an observation...

Right. The first thing is the house/rent payment, then the utilities, then food, then credit cards if you have them; depending on how much or how late they may be. Things like cable/satellite, kids playing sports etc. should be LAST on the list. I say this because I know somebody who puts her girls ahead of bills with regard to what they want when they want it. The 'oh, that bill can wait' mentality.

Exactly what I was talking about. The reason we were talking solely mortgage is because Vince mentioned "mortgage" and "mortgage" alone. How was I supposed to know he was talking about all household bills?

rmorse

20% cut here is a little over 1k a month. We will still make our mortgage easily, but 20% cut isn't just chump change that just not going out to eat is going to make up for.

If you can still make your mortgage paymentt easily, then you aren't who I was referring to. Why is this so hard to understand?

I ever said it was going to be easy, and that you can just "not eat out" to make it up.

rmorse

People base their bills on their income. I don't think anyone gets into a mortgage thinking their pay and their spouses pay will be cut. If you both make $100K annually, and $40K is taken from you (furlough), that's not being irresponsible with your mortgage.

Sure about that? "I don't think anyone gets into a mortgage thinking their pay and their spouses pay will be cut."

My girlfriend and I have already discussed our next house, our "dream house." Our plan is to have two incomes (she makes about the same as me), and make the mortgage payment with the smaller income. Just in case. We don't "think" that our pay will be cut, but we're still going to be prepared for it.

Do you not wear a seatbelt in your car, because you think you're not going to get into a wreck?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Didn't answer and deflected because I dunno. Personally, my mortgage payment is about 40% my take home pay, but I also got a killer deal on a foreclosure and it's not the house I want...not my dream house. That can wait. When I go to my dream house, I'm probably going to shoot for around 60%. But I have no idea what's "right." It was just an observation...
Sorry.....wasn't trying to get in your face.

Exactly what I was talking about. The reason we were talking solely mortgage is because Vince mentioned "mortgage" and "mortgage" alone. How was I supposed to know he was talking about all household bills?
Again, I apologize. When I mentioned kids' sports and all that other superfluous stuff, I was responding to Chasey.

rmorse

Sorry.....wasn't trying to get in your face.

Again, I apologize. When I mentioned kids' sports and all that other superfluous stuff, I was responding to Chasey.

You know, re-reading my comments....I kinda look like a douchebag. I didn't intend to come off as one, or to come off as aggressively as I did. I guess that's what happens when I try to write fast....

2Loquacious

I think most people base their mortgage off their historical pay especially if you are a federal employee. It's not like furlough is an every year occurence or even an every 10 year occurence.

That said, most people will cover their mortgages just fine IMO. It will be all the other spending that will have to be curtailed - for some - curtailed A LOT because of a 2 federal employee household.

I think, however, that the 20% pay cut will be reduced due to the DoD full appropriations bill. By how much? Who knows..maybe down to 11 days or so. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Its not just the pay cut. I have already heard rumors about layoffs around base, right now is a scary time because no one knows what's going to happen. A 20% cut will be manageable, a 50% cut not so much. It will be even harder on families with children.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think most people base their mortgage off their historical pay especially if you are a federal employee. It's not like furlough is an every year occurence or even an every 10 year occurence.

That said, most people will cover their mortgages just fine IMO. It will be all the other spending that will have to be curtailed - for some - curtailed A LOT because of a 2 federal employee household.

I think, however, that the 20% pay cut will be reduced due to the DoD full appropriations bill. By how much? Who knows..maybe down to 11 days or so. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Well, apples and oranges here but the mortgage companies use your Gross Pay to calculate a mortgage. How does that make sense?
That dollar figure is one you don't have to be able to do with; like pay bills.

rmorse

Its not just the pay cut. I have already heard rumors about layoffs around base, right now is a scary time because no one knows what's going to happen. A 20% cut will be manageable, a 50% cut not so much. It will be even harder on families with children.

Usually I'm silent with this kinda crap, but if you can't afford your mortgage payment after a 50% cut, your mortgage is entirely too high.

(Kidding)

C

czygvtwkr

From what I understand this only funds DoD to the level with sequestration so that cut is still in the budget, I think.

MarieB

They're gonna play that game now, huh? Keep everybody waiting for the other shoe to drop? Niiiice.....

Won't that mean the actual furlough start date will also be delayed? Or that they could figure out a way to make it shorter with the increase in funding.

It sucks, and I don't blame anyone for being upset. But, if my assumption is correct, then that gives everyone 2 more weeks of full pay

Thankfully you at least get notice

b23hqb

PREMO Member
From what I understand this only funds DoD to the level with sequestration so that cut is still in the budget, I think.

Yes, but it is not a cut! It is just not as much of a budget increase as projected. Example: 100+4 is more than 100+1, but 101, after sequester, is still more than 100, right?

That is the overall sequester in a nutshell.

Cuts are necessary in all departments/agencies/entitlements of govt., and those "cuts" come from projected increases.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Won't that mean the actual furlough start date will also be delayed? Or that they could figure out a way to make it shorter with the increase in funding.

It sucks, and I don't blame anyone for being upset. But, if my assumption is correct, then that gives everyone 2 more weeks of full pay

Thankfully you at least get notice

I have fam who works at Pax, her first furlough day is April 26