Future elections?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Penn said:
Shoot, last week I heard some wonk say that Hillary might name her husband
Slick Willie as her Veep, if and when she gets the nod.:popcorn:
I believe there is a provision in the Constitution that the Pres and Veep must be from 2 different states. To name Bill veep, he'd have to claim a different residency state from Hill, and therefore imply that they are seperated/not living together. That won't go over well.

Spoiled

Dymphna said:
I believe there is a provision in the Constitution that the Pres and Veep must be from 2 different states. To name Bill veep, he'd have to claim a different residency state from Hill, and therefore imply that they are seperated/not living together. That won't go over well.
Washington + Adams Adams + Jefferson

all virginia, right??

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Dymphna said:

Ken just cited a provision in the 22nd Amendment which prohibits that from happening, or did I get that wrong?

Dymphna

Ken King said:
Technically that is it. Here is the text of the 22nd Amendment, "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once."
But it doesn't say anything about being elected veep after being pres, right?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Dymphna said:
That is the 12th Amendment.

Dymphna

Ken King said:
That is the 12th Amendment.
TY :yay: the 12th also says... But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

So Bill is out anyway you look at it.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Dymphna said:
TY :yay: the 12th also says... But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

So Bill is out anyway you look at it.
Thank God for that!! :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ken King said:
Haven't we already had "non-christians" as President? No specific religion, Deism, and Unitarian. Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and William Howard Taft
Non-white? Within 20 years
Non-male? Within 20 years
Gay? Probably a long, long time (like it might not happen this century, if ever)
Combination? :confused: Not sure what you mean here, do you mean something like a bi-sexual, female, muslim, non-caucasian?
Running in '08? Probably all of the Democrats that ran this past election plus others like Hillary. For the Republicans I suspect Rudy G., C. Powell, maybe Keyes, and I am sure many others.
As far as Gay, I don't think it's as acceptable a lifestyle as hollywood and the media are trying to make us believe. They are trying their damndest to shove it down our throats as normal, but I don't htink any more then 20% of society truly thinks it to be normal or acceptable.. So I also don't think I will see a gay president in my lifetime.. until the media can work over middle America more, and make them believe it's as acceptable on the farm as it is in downtown NYC.. NOT that there is anything wrong with it.

SamSpade

Spoiled said:
My College Democrats meeting last night raised a few questions last night... So i want to hear you peoples 2 cents on them...

When will we have a non-christian president?
Non white president?
Non male president?
A gay president?
A combination?
Who do you think will run in 08?

:boxing: :duel: :smoochy: let it begin!

James Buchanan was very likely gay.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
James Buchanan was very likely gay.
I think Spoiled is talking about an "out" President. But what makes you think Buchanan might have been gay? Because he wasn't married?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
spoiled...

Probably already have, as Ken pointed out, and certainly we've had any number of Presidents who were Christian in name only. A political fact, regardless of where you start your career, is you hang out in groups from local chambers of congress, churches, PTA's, wherever the voters are.

It will be a LONG time before we have an avowed atheist or agnostic. People largely like the humility that faith implies and, converesly, don't largely like the implied arrogance of a person who states publicly "I am my own God".

Non white president?

If Colin Powell runs, 2008. Vrai is right, whenever it happens it will likely be a Republican. The current darling, Obama, has a lot of resume building to do and must avoid the pitfalls of being a Democrat; IE, building to liberal a record.

Non male president?

One of the larger blunders of the Democrats, and beleive me, it's hard to pick just one, was the desire to stain Condi at the 9/11 hearings. She withstood the heat and made Richard Ben Venista what's his face look like a fumble mouthed ambulance chaser. Her speeches tend to bore but live she is one put together human being. If SHE get's the nod in '08 I can see her winning. There is also part of me that agrees with Vrai, it's just not a womans job. God help you all if she were our President. Nanny state would be replaced by "Mommy states..."

A gay president? Probably already have had one as someone said. New Jersey got a bit of a surprise didn't they? Anyway, overt, "I am gay, vote for me"?

Dunno. No pun but it can't be a shrinking violet. Strong, public lesbians tend to be very confrontational which doesn't sell. If George Bush was exactly as he is but Laura was, oh I dunno, Dick Cheney say, I'd still vote for him. And there's the rub, no pun. The leadership characteristics we seek in a President are not there, in the public mind, when you think of any gay man you know. Boy George? George Micheal? Barney Frank? I don't think so, scooter.

A combination? I'd bet that has happened. But overt, now were really challenging the imagination.

Who do you think will run in 08?

Hillary has quietly built a very moderate Senate record and she ain't doing it for kicks. She's strong. The brightest light does not intimidate her (been there, done that). A humble Bill following her around like a puppy would be an asset. An arrogant "here's what I think" Bill would sink her. I like Clinton in Koffi's job.

Anyone remember her introducing up on that stage the wannabes at that event back when Dean was leading? Kerry, Gep, Dean, Edwards. It was like Ronald Reagan handing out diplomas at a Truck Driving Institute. She has 'star' power.

Gore? Joke. Kerry? Joke. The moron is gonna have to face all the Swift boat stuff once again because he didn't have the stones to put it to rest and when the truth is common knowledge, he's sunk anyway. He fudged his record and he's no hero.

Rudy is everywhere and that ain't for no reason either. He would win so big it wouldn't be funny IF he got the nomination.

(Penn; Kasich ain't gonna happen. He's like Dennis the Menace when the Ritalin runs out. No 'gravitas'.)

Dick Cheney will resign before the mid term elections because the new guy or gal will be running out there campaigning for House and Senate folks and that will be their dry run for '08.

Personally, I like Powell. I'd vote for Rudy. Condi would be the end of the Democratic party. It's one thing to have some idiot writing Condolezza is a Skeeza. It's quite another for the whole party to attack a woman. A black woman. A qualified, made her bones in the GOP, resume'd black woman.

And then there's....

Arnold.

SmallTown

Football season!
With the names being thrown around as possible republican candidates, it looks like there could be a possibility I would actually vote for someone to be in the office, and not just voting to keep someone out.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
If Colin Powell runs, 2008. Vrai is right, whenever it happens it will likely be a Republican.
I agree. If Powell is a moderate on social issues, I could see voting for him in 2008. I was disappointed to learn he's leaving the Cabinet. Obama might get my vote if his platform is like mine--more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.

I think the same is true for a woman president. The first will probably be a moderate Republican.

ylexot

Super Genius
Spoiled said:
Non white president?
Non male president?
A gay president?
A combination?
"All in the fullness of time."

Sparx

Ken King said:
Haven't we already had "non-christians" as President? No specific religion, Deism, and Unitarian. Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and William Howard Taft

Speaking of this can anyone tell me which church the president we have now is really a member of? All I have heard him say is he goes to church when he can and calls himself a christian.

D

dems4me

Sparx said:
Speaking of this can anyone tell me which church the president we have now is really a member of? All I have heard him say is he goes to church when he can and calls himself a christian.

:howdy: Sparx... :smooch:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sparx said:
Speaking of this can anyone tell me which church the president we have now is really a member of?
Bush is a Methodist. I thought everyone knew that.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Bush is a Methodist. I thought everyone knew that.

I think he was asking what specific church he attends... not denomination :wink: