Future PETA nuts...

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Death of Cub Galvanizes Bear-Hunt Opponents
By Larry Fine

VERNON, N.J. (Reuters) - More than 200 bears have been killed so far in New Jersey's controversial black bear hunt, its first in 33 years, but angry opponents of the hunt point to the public death of one cub as a rallying point for protest.

Rallies, petitioning, a vigil at the governor's mansion and various court actions failed to stop New Jersey from opening a six-day hunt Monday to control a bear population it says has grown aggressive and threatens public safety.

The total number of bears killed stood at 221 at the midway point of the hunt, officials said Thursday.

But a wounded cub that staggered out of the woods and died alongside busy Route 23 in Vernon, with motorists and bystanders sadly looking on during Tuesday's rush hour, has galvanized the opposition.

"We've gotten inundated by phone calls about that," said local activist Lynda Smith, who heads the Bear Education and Resource (BEAR) Group, in an interview Wednesday night.

She suggested some opponents might resort to civil disobedience. "That club died within miles of my home. I am completely outraged that I have to be subjected to that and to hunters driving around with bears strapped to the tops of their cars. And it is not going to accomplish one thing."

State officials say the growing bear population has led the normally timid bears to roam the outskirts of the parklands in this northwest corner of the state, some 40 miles from New York City, to feed on crops and garbage.

While New Jersey has not licensed bear hunting since 1970, adjacent park lands of Pennsylvania and New York routinely allow bear hunting. The National Rifle Association says bear hunting is licensed in 29 U.S. states.

"I SAY HATS OFF"

Smith has organized a protest rally at Wawayanda State Park for Saturday, the last scheduled day of the hunt, but she said some angry residents were talking about heading into the woods and interfering with the hunters.

"We're not talking hard-core animal activists. We're talking about everyday people," Smith said. "This is not a planned thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if before it's over somebody gets arrested. And I say hats off. The crazy extremists are the ones in the woods, killing cubs."

New Jersey Fish and Wildlife director Martin McHugh earlier this week defended the hunt involving 5,375 hunters holding permits after attending mandatory training seminars.

Each hunter is allowed to bag one black bear, who range from around 100 pounds (45 kg) for cubs and small females to more than 500 pounds (227 kg) for the biggest males.

Officials expect a maximum of 500 bears to be killed from a population estimated to be as large as 3,200. Between 500 and 700 cubs are born in the area each year, they said.

"We have a very dense population in this part of state, a lot of complaints and public safety concerns," McHugh said. "Parents are worried about their children."

McHugh said that in the past year bears had broken into 58 homes and made more than 20 other attempts. He said 53 bears had been hit by vehicles and there were nine reported attempts to enter vehicles by bears.

"The message is clear to people who live up here," said McHugh. "While they like seeing bears in the woods, it's time to start controlling bears. They don't like to see them at their front door."

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I think the message that should be clear is that only GOOD hunters need to go. What kind of azz clown hunter shoots the cubs? Shooting BABY animals is not hunting!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Hello6
Shooting BABY animals is not hunting!
From a population control standpoint, it makes perfect sense to post-partum abort a bear cub. That's really the only reason to bear hunt, other than to get a trophy (*barf*).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Barbra
Let's apply that same general principle to the human population control standpoint.
Does that mean you're pro-capital punishment?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Ehesef
"That club died within miles of my home."

2 miles, 100 miles, 1000 miles. It died within miles of my home too. Who gives a f? :rolleyes:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Making fun of the writer of the sad bear cub killing story makes baby jesus cry:bawl:

However, made me :lmao: