FYI - Possible EHV-1 in MD again.

Sparks

Hot Topics
Feb 20, 2007
Equine Herpesvirus Update (2/20/07)

The most recent updates are closest to the top of this page. Scroll down to see earlier postings.

Click here for more information about EHV-1 prevention and links to additional resources, www.mda.state.md.us/animal_health/diseases/ehv.php

February 20, 2007, 6pm - News Release from the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center

State-Imposed Quarantine Implemented at Equine Medical Center Due to Suspected Cases of Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1). Full News release and all future updates from the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center: http://emc.vetmed.vt.edu/newatEMC.html

###

February 20, 2007, 5pm

The Maryland Department of Agriculture is conducting a neurologic equine herpes virus -1 (EHV-1) investigation in six locations in Maryland (five horses currently located in Maryland). The investigation is warranted because these horses had possible indirect exposure to an EHV-1 test-positive horse being treated initially for colic at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA and were discharged before the horse in Leesburg showed signs of EHV-1. The “index” horse that originally went to Leesburg was from St. Mary's County, Maryland (our 6th location) and remains at Leesburg under treatment.

MDA veterinarians are going to the six Maryland locations this afternoon to put 7-day “investigational hold orders” on the farms to prevent any movement of horses onto or off of the farms until test results are back. If they can get samples tonight, they will; if not, they will go back and take samples tomorrow. MDA veterinarians will evaluate each on a case-by-case basis. MDA is acting on the side of extreme caution.

###

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Oh my! Thanks for the info and please keep us updated as you hear more. Right in our backyard, I guess it was inevitable we'd be affected at some point..

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
fredsaid2 said:
Oh my! Thanks for the info and please keep us updated as you hear more. Right in our backyard, I guess it was inevitable we'd be affected at some point..

Does anyone have any idea what six farms in Northern Virginia they are placing under quarantine? I'm assuming the farms the Maryland Department of Agriculture is looking at are in Southern Maryland, any more information out there?

NoName

Unbelievable said:
Does anyone have any idea what six farms in Northern Virginia they are placing under quarantine? I'm assuming the farms the Maryland Department of Agriculture is looking at are in Southern Maryland, any more information out there?

The article states its 6 farms in Maryland, the Index horse was from St Mary's

Unbelievable

NoName said:
The article states its 6 farms in Maryland, the Index horse was from St Mary's

There was an update this a.m., the farms are in Northern Virginia and Maryland is looking into what farms may be involved here.

NoName

Unbelievable said:
There was an update this a.m., the farms are in Northern Virginia and Maryland is looking into what farms may be involved here.

oh, can you post that(update)?
since none of the information here or the original website, talks about Virginia except that it was discovered at the Leesburg clinic. And everything states that it was Maryland Department of Agriculture looking into 6 Maryland locations/farms.

changeling

NoName said:
oh, can you post that(update)?
since none of the information here or the original website, talks about Virginia except that it was discovered at the Leesburg clinic. And everything states that it was Maryland Department of Agriculture looking into 6 Maryland locations/farms.

It's the first link on the first thread. Click on today's update on that page. :yay:

fredsaid2

Unbelievable said:

This is the first I've heard, Sparks' orig post and your update. We'll have to wait for more info to come out. Hoping for the best for all the horses and their owners!

NoName

changeling said:
It's the first link on the first thread. Click on today's update on that page. :yay:

Found it, it was under the EHV-1 Information page.

Sound like, from that article, there is an Additional 6 farms in Virginia. still would like to know the 6 Maryland Farms, and especially the St Mary's farm.

http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=5110

EQUINE HERPES VIRUS-1 REPORTED IN VIRGINIA; STATE VETERINARIAN QUARANTINING FARMS

Under the direction of State Veterinarian Richard Wilkes, veterinarians with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) are currently quarantining six farms in Northern Virginia with horses that could have come in contact with a horse infected with a neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV1). The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state. The infected horse was treated at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, Virginia, which is also under quarantine.

Quarantines will restrict movement on and off the affected facilities. In addition, veterinarians are urging horse owners to observe strict hygiene control procedures, including a thorough cleaning and disinfecting routine using a proven disinfectant/cleaner, to avoid spreading the disease in the environment.

Unbelievable

NoName said:
Found it, it was under the EHV-1 Information page.

Sound like, from that article, there is an Additional 6 farms in Virginia. still would like to know the 6 Maryland Farms, and especially the St Mary's farm.

http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=5110

It has always been 6 farms. Now we know they were in Virginia and the Maryland Department of Agriculture is looking at the farms that may be affected here. Here's the quote from today's update:

Under the direction of State Veterinarian Richard Wilkes, veterinarians with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) are currently quarantining six farms in Northern Virginia with horses that could have come in contact with a horse infected with a neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV1). The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state.

If you want to keep track of what's going on go the link referred to in the first thread, click on "Today's Update" directly under the Heading: Herpes Virus and it will give you the latest news. All older news will be below that on the page. Don't click on anything else on the page (i.e. links on the left, you'll only get historical and other types of info concerning the virus). The news is what you'll get when you click on the link.

NoName

Unbelievable said:
It has always been 6 farms. Now we know they were in Virginia and the Maryland Department of Agriculture is looking at the farms that may be affected here. Here's the quote from today's update:

Under the direction of State Veterinarian Richard Wilkes, veterinarians with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) are currently quarantining six farms in Northern Virginia with horses that could have come in contact with a horse infected with a neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV1). The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state.

If you want to keep track of what's going on go the link referred to in the first thread, click on "Today's Update" directly under the Heading: Herpes Virus and it will give you the latest news. All older news will be below that on the page. Don't click on anything else on the page (i.e. links on the left, you'll only get historical and other types of info concerning the virus). The news is what you'll get when you click on the link.

Sorry, i think we are reading that diffferently, especially if you look at the last line in your quote.

I went to the link, and it still states that the Maryland Department of Agriculture went to six Maryland locations this afternoon to put 7-day “investigational hold orders” on the farms. there is nothing that dispells that.

on todays update it says Virginia has now done the same thing for 6 of their locations/farms, and that The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state.

Its not that the 6 farms were misreported, its that there is now 12 farms affected, because of exposure to the Index horse, from St Mary's. what was the St Mary's farm?

Sparks

NoName said:
Sorry, i think we are reading that diffferently, especially if you look at the last line in your quote.

I went to the link, and it still states that the Maryland Department of Agriculture went to six Maryland locations this afternoon to put 7-day “investigational hold orders” on the farms. there is nothing that dispells that.

on todays update it says Virginia has now done the same thing for 6 of their locations/farms, and that The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state.

Its not that the 6 farms were misreported, its that there is now 12 farms affected, because of exposure to the Index horse, from St Mary's. what was the St Mary's farm?

I'd think some of the local large animal vets might have some info. Anyone tight with their vet?

fredsaid2

NoName said:

noname, I'm reading it the same as you - 6 MD farms including the St. Mary's horse then an additonal 6 NoVA farms. The vector horse may be from a private farm since no one has heard of a colic episode at the boarding barns.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
fredsaid2 said:
noname, I'm reading it the same as you - 6 MD farms including the St. Mary's horse then an additonal 6 NoVA farms. The vector horse may be from a private farm since no one has heard of a colic episode at the boarding barns.

My thoughts exactly. It is confusing with it being 6 MD & 6 N.VA. I myself have not heard of any colic episodes that went to Leesburg. I do recall getting a pm last month about there being alot of horses experiencing colic symptoms at one of the bigger barns in St Mary's. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some insight.

fredsaid2

mygoldnhorse said:
My thoughts exactly. It is confusing with it being 6 MD & 6 N.VA. I myself have not heard of any colic episodes that went to Leesburg. I do recall getting a pm last month about there being alot of horses experiencing colic symptoms at one of the bigger barns in St Mary's. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some insight.

This report
http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2007&itemno=100
says the vector horse came to duPont Feb 7th. Taking that as an assurance it's not from one of our Poster's barns. No one's mentioned having a sick horse in the last two weeks.

Unbelievable

mygoldnhorse said:

Definitely confusing.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
UPDATE - Only one VA farm affected

February 21, 2007
UPDATE ON EQUINE HERPES VIRUS-1 IN VIRGINIA

In a release sent at 8 a.m. February 21, 2007, the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) announced that it was quarantining six farms in Virginia with horses that possibly had come in contact with a horse infected with Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV1) at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center (EMC) in Leesburg, Virginia. This advisory updates that information.

At 10 a.m. February 21, VDACS learned the disposition of other animals that had been stabled at the EMC concurrently with the infected horse. Of the six premises with contact horses during the susceptible time period, only one horse is currently housed on a Virginia farm. VDACS has contacted that farm owner and is delivering quarantine orders, effective immediately. Three of the other horses with Virginia origins never left the facility, and two were sent from the EMC to out-of-state barns to recover.

If you did not receive the original release, please see the VDACS Web site at http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/news/releases-b/022107equine.shtml. Information from the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center is available at http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2007&itemno=100.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Sparks said:
I'd think some of the local large animal vets might have some info. Anyone tight with their vet?

I've got a vet app tomorrow morning w/ Dr Benedict from TideWater, I'll see if he knows anything more.

Thomas99

Sparks said:

I will call my vet now...I am baffled too- heard of some colic going on but nothing that went to Leesburg- you would think that Leesburg would be in contact with the horse owner and the word would be out/farm in quarentine- as word travels fast.