FYI - Possible EHV-1 in MD again.

quartermom

Low & Slow
Maybe this will be some help. :coffee: I'll check with my vet in the A.M. to see if she has heard anything about it in Calvert....

February 21 - 6pm - News Release from the Maryland Department of Agriculture

Maryland Investigates Possible Equine Herpesvirus-1 Cases

ANNAPOLIS, MD – Feb. 21, 2007 – The Maryland Department of Agriculture is conducting a neurologic equine herpes virus -1 (EHV-1) investigation in eight locations in Maryland (seven horses currently located in Maryland). The investigation is warranted because these horses had possible indirect exposure to an EHV-1 test-positive horse being treated initially for colic at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA and were discharged before the horse in Leesburg showed signs of EHV-1. The “index” horse that originally went to Leesburg was from St. Mary's County, Maryland (our 8th location) and remains at Leesburg under treatment. No horses currently in Maryland have tested positive for EHV-1.

The Maryland Department of Agriculture has placed seven-day “Investigational Hold Orders” on all of the farms to prevent any movement of horses onto or off of the farms until the situation at each location is evaluated and any necessary test results are back. MDA veterinarians will evaluate each on a case-by-case basis. Samples were taken from horses today.

MDA is acting on the side of extreme caution and reminds Maryland horse owners that it is always prudent to practice on-farm biosecurity to prevent illness of any kind.

Additional information about equine herpesvirus-1 and biosecurity measures as well as updates on the current situation in Maryland and Virginia are posted at www.mda.state.md.us.

T

TWHFAN1

Quarentened ...yeah, can't spell!

Heard on the new this morining something about MDC in Leesburg and one farm in N. VA have been Quarentened. Anyone heard? I can't find anything on the link about it.

DQ2B

I don't see a list either. All they mention is that the index horse was from St. Mary's County.

T

TWHFAN1

oops my bad, I meant they list that there are 6 or 7 farms in each state and the VT Med ctr at leesburg Quarantened.....Not induvidually. But they have put it on the news here in Va and made everyone aware! How horrible not to be able to see your horse if it is there or be able to take a colicy horse there!

fredsaid2

TWHFAN1 said:
oops my bad, I meant they list that there are 6 or 7 farms in each state and the VT Med ctr at leesburg Quarantened.....Not induvidually. But they have put it on the news here in Va and made everyone aware! How horrible not to be able to see your horse if it is there or be able to take a colicy horse there!

No prob, I just mis-understood, thought they released names. I think we'd all like to know where the vector horse stabled first and foremost. At least he's where he needs to be getting the best care.

Thomas99

Still no word of which of the St.Mary's stables? My vets out of town. i would think that someone would know or we would here something.

Eventer29

that is bs. People will find out anyway. As fast as gossip travesl in So Md I'm surprised none of us have heard anything yet, even rumors.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The one horse that i know of from ST Marys is NOT from a boarding barn, he is there for a serious colic surgery and the outbreak was suspected BEFORE he got there, just not confirmed, so care was taken to ensure he was completly separated from any possible harm due to that on top of his surgery. So far he is doing very well on antibiotics, but can't come home yet due to the quarantine. Poor guy. And his poor people family....they can't even visit him but reports say he is doing much-much better.

changeling

February 22 - 4pm - Update from the Maryland Department of Agriculture

New information today from Leesburg indicates there are a number of new facilities and horses of interest in Maryland. MDA is in the process of evaluating their risk level, collecting samples and placing hold orders on these facilities as appropriate. Details on the number of farms and horses will be available in the morning.

General information:

• The Hold Order - All eight properties of interest in Maryland are under MDA 7-day "investigational hold orders," which does the same thing as a quarantine - prevent the movement of horses on or off of the properties until they are lifted.

• We are taking this very seriously and our policy is NOT to wait for test results to place a hold order. We can extend or lift the hold orders as warranted.

• Based on our animal health staff's visits and evaluations of the farms, horses - those from Leesburg as well as stable mates, the fact that they are generally small, private farms, and the general lack of movement on and off the farms prior to the hold orders, we feel this is a minimal risk situation to the broader horse community. We expect the first round of samples back by Monday.

• At this time, we are advising people (other than those on the farms with hold orders) to go about their normal business cautiously and with a heightened sense of awareness. Be sure to ask questions about the health of horses at a destination farm and shippers before moving your horse.

For farriers, feed truck operators and other service personnel with concerns about the status of your customers: ALWAYS ask your client if they are under a hold order. MDA provides instructions for farm owners or managers on proper bio-security and management of supplier/service people visits when the farm is under a hold order.
• Always report any signs of illness to private veterinarian. With EHV-1, fevers over 103, unexplained respiratory disease, and any nerologic conditions are of concern. Neurologic signs are reportable by veterinarians in Maryland.

• Because we now feel this is low-risk situation for the broad community, we are not discussing locations of animals as it will not have an impact on containing the situation.

• There are no EHV-1 positive horses in Maryland now.

• There will be updates posted daily on MDA’s website, www.mda.state.md.us

• If you would like to be added to an e-mail list-serve to get e-mail notices about horse health issues, contact Rob Burk, 410-841- 5798 leave your name, phone number and e-mail address for him to get back to you and add you to the list.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
February 23 - 6pm - Update from the Maryland Department of Agriculture

As of today there are five new facilities of interest, for a total of 13, under hold orders based on new information from the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center noted in the 2/22 update. Samples were taken today from horses on those properties. Test results from the first batch taken earlier this week are still expected on Monday. The counties in Maryland with facilities under hold orders are Baltimore, Carroll, Charles, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, and St. Mary's. The risk level in Maryland for the broad horse community remains low. See the 2/22 update for more information and recommendations for activities.

If your horse is showing signs of illness, call your veterinarian.
If you are a horse owner seeking information about the status of the situation in Maryland, please stay tuned to the MDA website, www.mda.state.md.us. Information will be posted every day as available. So far information seems to be available and posted in the late afternoon but it will be posted as it becomes available. You can also call 410-841-5810 during regular weekday business hours of 8:00-4:30.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I heard through the grapevine. So I don't know if it's true but the St. Marys one is west of L-Town. No names mentioned. :shrug:

Thomas99

At this point don't think that it would help us to know names...This may be something that we all just need to stay home and care for our own for now. A name would only be interesting, but not helpful. Its very sad for the person/people and horses involved. I hope that everything gets under control so we can relax and enjoy our horses...guess we'll see what the results are tomorrow.

fredsaid2

It would be helpful for any EHV updates/posts to stay on the original thread so the info is consolidated instead of having to sift through the three that are going now. Just a thought :smile:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Hello All -- I'm circulating this to a few friends who for one reason or another might have a particular interest in its content. Feel free to further circulate it as you wish. Last night I attended a hurriedly-scheduled public meeting in Leesburg, VA on the recent Equine Herpes Virus, Strain 1, outbreak in Virginia and Maryland. The meeting was sponsored by the Marion Scott DuPont Equine Medical Center at Morven Park and the Virginia Dept. of Agriculture. It went for 2-1/2 hrs and was quite worthwhile. The Virginia and Maryland State Veterinarians (Rich Wilkes and Guy Hohenhaus) were there, together with numerous vets from the EMC, including Dr. Nat White (Director) and Drs. Martin Furr and Harold McKenzie. Dr. Hohenhaus has had a good deal of experience with outbreaks, as this is the same virus that created problems at the race tracks and training barns in Maryland a year or so ago. The problem was first noticed at the Equine Medical Center with symptoms presenting on February 7. The EMC is completely shut down and is reeling from this. Dr. White said that they scheduled the meeting in an attempt to get the correct facts out, amid gossip and rumors that have been reporting (incorrectly) multiple horse deaths.

The meeting had a standing-room-only crowd. People are taking this very seriously because so much is still unknown about EHV-1, and testing is still ongoing. Ten farms in Virginia have been quarantined as "contact farms", meaning that horses there can trace potential exposure back to the active cases at EMC. Two farms in Fauquier Count, one in Culpepper Co., six in Loudon and one in Stafford County (at the Marine Base in Quantico). Two horses are exhibiting neurological symptoms consistent with EHV-1, but the results from the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test to confirm EHV-1 have not yet been returned. Six farms in Maryland are quarantined. There has been one local death confirmed due to EHV-1, a horse that had been at EMC and returned to Harford County, MD that was put down last week.

I am attaching a copy of the handout prepared yesterday by the EMC on EHV. Note that the most serious of the four types is EHV-1, which presents with neurological problems. The statement in the first paragraph that 70% of adult horses may have the latent virus in their system refers to all four types, not the most virulent EHV-1, so it is a bit misleading. That was clarified during the Q & A session at the meeting, which was spirited to say the least.

A couple of people in the audience said that the Master of Foxhounds Association has just ordered that all foxhunting in Virginia and Maryland be suspended immediately. I don't know anything more on that, but assume it is correct.

We have cancelled the Conestoga Vizsla Club Spring field trial at Summerduck, VA that was scheduled for March 9-11. A no-brainer really, given the consequences if we guessed wrong on risk. Old Dominion Vizsla Club and Central Va. GSP have just cancelled as well. Don't know if Rappahannock Brittany will cancel, but I will be surprised if the risk has been resolved by then. They are the fourth in the back-to-back pointing-breed series of Spring AKC FTs at the C.F. Phelps WMA at Summerduck.

Info updates on the outbreak can be found on the EMC website: http://emc.vetmed.vt.edu/

Also see the Virginia Dept. of Ag. web site that has updates and some great info on Biosecurity precautions: http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/

I haven't checked Maryland's counterpart web site, but there is likely good info there as well.

The hope of the Va. and Md. authorities of course is that this can be contained and the risk quantified over the next few weeks. In the meantime, this pretty much throws the local Spring field trial season into disarray, and probably the local hunt test schedule as well. Various horse shows and pony club events are being cancelled. We should all remain alert to the highly contagious nature of this disease as we move our horses about, or as horse-related visitors come and go from our barns. We don't want to be alarmist, of course, but even though the virus is somewhat fragile it can still live for 2-3 days on clean and dry environmental surfaces. Dirty surfaces, which are generally the rule in the horse world, can support it longer, and of course an infected horse can continue to be a potential risk to others for a much longer time. Owners with pregnant mares should be especially cautious, as I know some of you are in or around that situation.

Hope this is helpful. Kind regards. David