Fyi

fredsaid2

KerryAnn1 said:
This seminar sounds so great! Julie Goodnight is the Program Director for CHA. Is anyone interested in getting certifed as a riding instructor or barn manager? I have looked at alot of barns and here of alot of trainers/instructors/barn managers, but NONE of them have a certification. I know that expereince is important- but to me...if an instructor takes the time to value and take a certification clinic to get certified..they are serious about teaching me the correct way to ride. Plus instructors have to due 25 hours of education a year to keep up their skills. That means so much...What do you think? I know that faced with a lawsuit, its nice to say "I am certifed".

I like the idea of certification but it doesn't always mean the individual has the ability to teach. Still it's a step in the right direction mostly for those new to riding. Certification won't be as effective as it needs to be until there's a single organization governing it. Besides CHA there's ARIA, and the USHJA is proposing a new trainer certification program. I’m sure there are others I’m not aware of. For someone new to riding, how can they evaluate between the different programs then choose that qualified and effective instructor? I think we’re still stuck with word of mouth and trial & error.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
fredsaid2 said:
I like the idea of certification but it doesn't always mean the individual has the ability to teach. Still it's a step in the right direction mostly for those new to riding. Certification won't be as effective as it needs to be until there's a single organization governing it. Besides CHA there's ARIA, and the USHJA is proposing a new trainer certification program. I’m sure there are others I’m not aware of. For someone new to riding, how can they evaluate between the different programs then choose that qualified and effective instructor? I think we’re still stuck with word of mouth and trial & error.

ditto! There is no way to certify life experiences and knowledge. Just because someone has the certification doesn't mean they can translate that into teaching ability. And there are some great instructors (people skills), but that doesn't mean they are also trainers (horse skills). Word of mouth, what their students have achieved, and similar goals are the best way to find an instructor. I'm sure many here have had horrible times with intructors and wondered if it was worth it. You wonder if you are actually learning anything and should stick it out or do you go on to find someone else. It can be a hard choice. I've had some easy teachers who I didn't learn much from and some hard ones who I came away with alot.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
horsesrock93 said:
:howdy: hi golden how are you i have an A in health (not counting spelling)
Hey ~Z~ I am doing good..but that could turn to great if I woke up tomorrow and it was Spring. I have temporarily given up riding mygoldnhorse for mygazelle :lmao: 20+ minutes a day after work keeps the Dr away. The gazelle is actually alot easier on my body than Fancy is... but she is alot more fun :killingme. Congrats on the "A" in health. :huggy:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
mygoldnhorse said:
Hey ~Z~ I am doing good..but that could turn to great if I woke up tomorrow and it was Spring. I have temporarily given up riding mygoldnhorse for mygazelle :lmao: 20+ minutes a day after work keeps the Dr away. The gazelle is actually alot easier on my body than Fancy is... but she is alot more fun :killingme. Congrats on the "A" in health. :huggy:

:confused: