Gall Bladder

PsyOps

Pixelated
Our story...

My wife woke up one night complaining that her stomach hurt (right below the sternum). Then she started vomiting. About an hour later we were in the emergency room. They diagnosed her with gallstones, gave her a shot to calm her stomach, sent her home and told her to make an appointment to have her gall bladder removed. Later that day she woke up vomiting again and complaining about the pain. Back to the emergency room. This time it was really crowded and we had a 3 hour wait. After a while she started vomiting blood and complaining about chest pains. They made us wait another hour before seeing her. When I was finally allowed to see her she looked at me, almost with tears in her eyes, and told me she was having a heart attack.

What happened was the stone got lodged in the bile duct where it meets the pancreas. So it was blocking bile and insulin and it was backing up into her body. This caused all sorts of things to go haywire and ultimately caused a minor heart attack. Because of this she couldn’t have surgery for over 6 months until they were sure her heart was stable. We had to change our diet to a fat-free diet and live with the fear that she might have another stone attack. Finally she was able to have the surgery. That was over 3 years ago and she still takes heart medication.

All I can say is if you have gallstones, get it taken care of.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
My wife woke up one night complaining that her stomach hurt (right below the sternum). Then she started vomiting. About an hour later we were in the emergency room. They diagnosed her with gallstones, gave her a shot to calm her stomach, sent her home and told her to make an appointment to have her gall bladder removed. Later that day she woke up vomiting again and complaining about the pain. Back to the emergency room. This time it was really crowded and we had a 3 hour wait. After a while she started vomiting blood and complaining about chest pains. They made us wait another hour before seeing her. When I was finally allowed to see her she looked at me, almost with tears in her eyes, and told me she was having a heart attack.

What happened was the stone got lodged in the bile duct where it meets the pancreas. So it was blocking bile and insulin and it was backing up into her body. This caused all sorts of things to go haywire and ultimately caused a minor heart attack. Because of this she couldn’t have surgery for over 6 months until they were sure her heart was stable. We had to change our diet to a fat-free diet and live with the fear that she might have another stone attack. Finally she was able to have the surgery. That was over 3 years ago and she still takes heart medication.

All I can say is if you have gallstones, get it taken care of.

OMG! This sounds so familiar to what happened to me, but I caught it before it got bad enough to hurt my heart!! Blockage of the bile duct was what was making me jaundiced. I had no idea it could be more serious than it already was.!!

I'm glad you wifey is ok, but it's shame she has to take the heart meds three years later:huggy:

ImnoMensa

Got mine out last year about this time.

I have the big scar to prove it.

I also thought I was having a heart attack.

They treated me great in St. Mary's hospital, couldnt have been nicer to me.

Afterwards when you gotta go ,you gotta go, but other than that I dont miss it.

OldHillcrestGuy

Darn you guys are scaring me. I had some probelms about 18 months ago thought might be kidney stones, doc sent me for many tests, came back no kidney stones but showed 2 hernia's and also that my gall bladder was impacted with more then just a few stones. Have never had a problem, had surgery for one of the hernia's (lower)the other one which is way up high in the chest surgeon wasnt do concerned about it. Primary doc said the gall bladder should come out but no real hurry. The surgeon said if it hasnt bothered you, why bother to take it out, if it acts up then we can take it. Said I could go on forever without it bothering, but when it does Ill know what it is.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
I had mine out 8 yrs ago. I would have attacks so bad, I would lay on the floor and vomit from the pain. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. After the surgery, they tell you to slowly introduce foods back into your diet - NOT- I had spaghetti the night after my surgery.

I have also heard you can still have attacks after the surgery because of the fat deposits that get stuck in the trac.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Mine was removed about 20 yrs ago. I had eaten a bowl of chili and later woke up to a super sharp pain between my shoulder blades and felt very nauseous. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. Woke up hubby & said get me to the hospital.

Turned out to be gallstones and was admitted for gall bladder removal. Back in the day they didn't have the laproscopy type surgery, so I have a huge scar running along my right rib cage from my sternum.

The doctor removed 6 huge stones about the size of large marbles and several small stones (smaller than a pea). The smaller stones had become lodged in the bile duct and those are one's that cause most of the pain and problems. (I saved them and recently read on the web that they are considered 'valuable'. :lmao:)

The area where they cut is still somewhat 'numb' even after all these years.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
OMG! This sounds so familiar to what happened to me, but I caught it before it got bad enough to hurt my heart!! Blockage of the bile duct was what was making me jaundiced. I had no idea it could be more serious than it already was.!!

I'm glad you wifey is ok, but it's shame she has to take the heart meds three years later:huggy:

She has taken everything in stride. She's a lot stronger than me, that's for sure. When they did xrays and scans they found out she also had a tumor on her adrenal gland. So that complicated thing too and was part of the reason for the heart attack. She had the tumor and gall bladder removed in the same surgery.

This raises another issue about high blood preasure. Having an active tumor on your adrenal gland (called a pheochromocytoma) will cause high blood pressure. My wife had high blood pressure. Once she had this tumor removed her blood pressure became normal. If you have high blood pressure I recommend demanding scans to determine growth or tumor on your glands.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
She has taken everything in stride. She's a lot stronger than me, that's for sure. When they did xrays and scans they found out she also had a tumor on her adrenal gland. So that complicated thing too and was part of the reason for the heart attack. She had the tumor and gall bladder removed in the same surgery.

This raises another issue about high blood preasure. Having an active tumor on your adrenal gland (called a pheochromocytoma) will cause high blood pressure. My wife had high blood pressure. Once she had this tumor removed her blood pressure became normal. If you have high blood pressure I recommend demanding scans to determine growth or tumor on your glands.

I just had a CTscan on Friday looking for the possibility of a tumor. I've all ready had one removed a few years ago that was paralyzing my face.:frown: It's mostly precautionary, but I'm still freaked out.

Hugs:huggy: to you and your wifey. I hope she has blues skies ahead of her from here on out:yay:

M

Mousebaby

Have had trouble with mine since I was pregnant with my 16 yr. old. They have yet thought it was bad enough to remove. Pisses me off too, cause that biatch hurts!

Good Luck with your tests and I hope you are better soon! :huggy:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I just had a CTscan on Friday looking for the possibility of a tumor. I've all ready had one removed a few years ago that was paralyzing my face.:frown: It's mostly precautionary, but I'm still freaked out.

Hugs:huggy: to you and your wifey. I hope she has blues skies ahead of her from here on out:yay:

Thank you zebaby. She has been a real trooper through the whole thing; always with a smile and upbeat attitude. She is my hero. The tumor on her adrenal gland turned out to be benign.

:huggy: and prayers to you too.

wineo

loving life
OMG, this is what I am going thru, waiting for surgeon to consult with an endocrologist to see what type of block I will need during surgery. He is more concerned with the adrenal gland tumor, 5cm then with the gall bladder. He told me that my GB is not that bad, a few stones, but no thicking of the wall. So I wait. This has been going on for 2 months. Had another flare up this am at 2am and just now getting ready to try and get some sleep.

I'll keep you posted on what happens. So glad I found this old thread.

:popcorn:

CMC122

Go Braves!
I had mine removed a year ago and life has been so much better! Had stones the size of gumballs:diva:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My husband had his removed late 2000 and is still having issues so apparently it wasn't all due to his gall bladder. What I remember most about his surgery was me being 9 months pregnant with our first son and the doctor telling me I wasn't to leave the waiting room until he said it was ok after the surgery was done. The nurse told the doctor that I was going to be able to get some lunch and that was that. The doctor tucked his tail between his legs and said "ok". :lol:

Jameo

What?!
Once you have a gallbladder attack, do the get worse? I think I just had one :dead: Had Mexican for lunch about 30 minutes later stated feeling a little nauseated. Then the pain on the right side started. I finally :barf: and got some fresh air and feel much better. The rocephin I take for Lyme is hell on gallbladders :ohwell:

SoMDGirl42

Once you have a gallbladder attack, do the get worse? I think I just had one :dead: Had Mexican for lunch about 30 minutes later stated feeling a little nauseated. Then the pain on the right side started. I finally :barf: and got some fresh air and feel much better. The rocephin I take for Lyme is hell on gallbladders :ohwell:

I dealt with attacks for a few years before they took mine out. After every meal I literally walked around with my fingers shoved up under my ribs because of the pain. It's so much better now that it's out. Get it checked out sooner rather than later.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Are you taking Actigall while on Rocephin.
If not you may lose your gallbladder.

SoMDGirl42

Are you taking Actigall while on Rocephin.
If not you may lose your gallbladder.

and if you do loose it, could you please place it in a zip lock baggie for ICit? At least something positive could come out of this mess your in! :killingme