Gaming Computer Suggestions

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
ylexot said:
I guess I'll be the one to say that the suggestions you are getting are way more than you need. You said your husband likes games like Age of Mythology, so I assume you mean more strategic types of games (I like the same kinds of games). These games are not very "computer intensive". For example, the system requirements for Age of Mythology:

Good point, Ylexot. I think game computer and I think of more than that.

2 questions can resolve how high end of a system he needs.

1) Does he play the newer FPS games? (first-person shooters - Doom3, Half-Life 2, etc...)

2) Does he play any online games?

3) Does he play any other graphic intensive storyline type games (he will know if they are graphics intensive... hopefully)

If none of the above are true, you can price lower like ylexot points out. If any of the above is true, you need higher end computing (along like what I pointed out).

To answer your other questions, Alex.

Yes, more RAM and higher end video card is better if you are doing graphic intensive games. Again, this will depend on the games. You will get highest settings on Age of Mythology, Civilization, Sims, Dungeon Siege, and other basic games with what I suggested and even something lower. Also, there is a balance. It is not worth getting 4 gigs of RAM if your computer can't make use of it.

If he is using games like those that match my questions above, then 2 gigs is sufficient. The best video card you can afford (RADEON or NVIDIA ... don't use others brands) for those games also. Don't worry about the best processor. The RAM and video card will carry the weight. Your difference in performance from a 3.0 to 3.4 processor is minimal for gaming if you have 2 gigs and the video card.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
itsbob said:
Alienware, if you are buying out of the box..

She said without forking over a ton of money, Bob. :neener:

I still haven't gotten my Alienware. I could only afford to load out the XPS this last time (Dell internet coupons are great!) :ohwell:

Someday, I will get me one of their ALX systems.... :drool:

ylexot

Super Genius
Just saw this one on techbargains.com:
HP d4100y Dual Core Pentium D 2.8Ghz Desktop $799, Jul 7

HP Home: HPshopping.com has the new HP d4100y series desktop Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz Dual Core CPU, 512MB DDR2/80GB Serial ATA 7200rpm hard drive, Free 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer, 1394, Ethernet, 128MB ATI X300SE graphics, 7.1 HD Audio, MS Works8/Money 2005, Free XP Media Center Edition, 1 yr warranty $949 - $150 rebate = $799, Free shipping. Tax in CA, GA, ID, MO, NY, TN, VA, and WI. Free HP 3847 printer after rebate. Exp 7/9

Select Recommended>>, Select 512MB, 80GB, Front USB ports, No tuner - Continue. Select Free Deskjet 3847 printer.

$150 rebate Exp 9/6/05 Email Deal
Looks like a good deal to me.

alex

Thank you very much for all of your help. As for what games = he really has no clue. Right now he plays what runs on my MAC and hasn't even looked into PC games and what he wants.

I will get the most RAM and the best Video Card I can afford and go from there. If that limits what he can play too bad. If he wants better he better get off his butt and figure out what he wants!