Garbage/trash services you'd recommend?

MiddleGround

We are still on Mon - Thurs with Evergreen. It's a rare week when we have enough trash for both days, since it's just Anita, me and the cats 99% of the time.

Another vote for Evergreen. They are half the price of Waste Management and do a great job.

I tried Evergreen. Would NEVER advise anyone to use them.

They picked up our trash for about 2 weeks then... the problems started. They missed 3 pickups in a row. Called them and was told "It is a new driver and they are learning the route. He will be by tomorrow to get your trash." He never showed AND he never showed on the following pickup day. Called again and was told "The truck broke down. Someone will be there tomorrow to get your trash." Never showed up.

So, I called them and told them I wanted my money back. They said No!

I pulled their trash can into my back yard and told them they could have it back when I get my money back. I still have the can. They sent someone to my home 3 times to get it but they would need to enter my property to get it. On the 2nd attempt, I politely told the gentleman "I'm not mad at you but, it is funny that they have sent someone here 2 times to get the can but, they couldn't be bothered to come pick up my trash when I was paying them. They obviously know my address since you are here."

Bottom line... hopefully their service has improved. I still have that can in my back yard.

Goldenhawk

I'm paying for that convenience center with taxes, damned if I'm going to pay someone else as well.

Except that for some folks it's more like an "inconvenience center."

I'm paying for the added convenience of not having to rearrange the back of my minivan and haul my own trash some distance across town every week. According to my paycheck my time is worth somewhere around $50/hour. At $25/month, I'm paying a small fraction of that cost to get back a few hours of free time each month.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Except that for some folks it's more like an "inconvenience center."

I'm paying for the added convenience of not having to rearrange the back of my minivan and haul my own trash some distance across town every week. According to my paycheck my time is worth somewhere around $50/hour. At $25/month, I'm paying a small fraction of that cost to get back a few hours of free time each month.

If you have a houseful of people, yes, it is worth it. Not for me, party of 1.5, only because he goes out of town every so often and it's just me. It's easier for me to load up and take 1 bag of trash and the recycle bin, rather than have to drag a trash can all the way down my driveway and then back up to the house.

Goldenhawk

...and for all the fussing about this, there's a good thing here. I can choose to pay Evergreen. Or Waste Management. Or someone else, maybe a neighbor's kid. GWguy can choose not to pay.

On the other hand, my folks have no choice but to pay their increased taxes for the "free" trash service run by the city.

On the whole, "I'll take 'Lower Taxes' for $100, Alex."

pbotz

old post here but i wanted to share my experience.
I have had several places over the years and some go under and leave you with a can full of garbage sitting a week while you wait for your paid pick up that never happens.
I was with GOODE for a while and they sold me off to some other company about late last year. Since than its been nothing but a cluster fu---. I was told the other company is affiliated with them as there sister company. I would tell you there has been zero good out of this for me. Missed pick ups, and when they do pick up it sometimes was past 9 pm at night. Its been very hard to contact this new company and even GOODE to say hey whats the deal. Its useless to try and frustrating to the point of its not worth your stress. Based off this i would fully advise staying away from GOODE. I am in the process my self of seeking new service.

warneckutz

old post here but i wanted to share my experience.
I have had several places over the years and some go under and leave you with a can full of garbage sitting a week while you wait for your paid pick up that never happens.
I was with GOODE for a while and they sold me off to some other company about late last year. Since than its been nothing but a cluster fu---. I was told the other company is affiliated with them as there sister company. I would tell you there has been zero good out of this for me. Missed pick ups, and when they do pick up it sometimes was past 9 pm at night. Its been very hard to contact this new company and even GOODE to say hey whats the deal. Its useless to try and frustrating to the point of its not worth your stress. Based off this i would fully advise staying away from GOODE. I am in the process my self of seeking new service.

I had Goode as well and they moved to Wilburn... still impossible to get a hold of. I called and e-mailed to cancel my trash service numerous times with no answer - I'm sure they'll eventually take their can.

They offered $75/3mo for 1x a week

Evergreen came by and offered $60/3mo for 2x a week... so far so good!

pbotz

money lost.

I had Goode as well and they moved to Wilburn... still impossible to get a hold of. I called and e-mailed to cancel my trash service numerous times with no answer - I'm sure they'll eventually take their can.

Same here only problem is I paid 3 months from this June. I was always paying early and 3 month cycles is what is standard for billing. I had no reason to worry as they were picking up weekly and reliably so i just figured ok to pay per quarter. Its a payment thru electronic fund transfer from your bank checking account. Once the payment clears its sent money and cannot be canceled. I want to cancel my service as i am now worried about the next 3 months i paid for and not having service. I cant figure out how to get my service shut and my money refunded as i cannot communicate with the business. Its been very frustrating to say the least. I could tell he was a new start up business and i chose to stick it out with them to help them grow however now it seems to be biting my in the azz.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Same here only problem is I paid 3 months from this June. I was always paying early and 3 month cycles is what is standard for billing. I had no reason to worry as they were picking up weekly and reliably so i just figured ok to pay per quarter. Its a payment thru electronic fund transfer from your bank checking account. Once the payment clears its sent money and cannot be canceled. I want to cancel my service as i am now worried about the next 3 months i paid for and not having service. I cant figure out how to get my service shut and my money refunded as i cannot communicate with the business. Its been very frustrating to say the least. I could tell he was a new start up business and i chose to stick it out with them to help them grow however now it seems to be biting my in the azz.

Contact your bank.

pbotz

yes. I Have done this and since i authorized the EFT i can only cancel future transfers or if it was a reoccurring payment cancel that. This whole situation sucks and i need to find out a way to fairly easily obtain my money back since the service seems to be non existent any more.

FED_UP

Been using Evergreen for couple years now, once a week pick up $72. For the first year it was $62.

Smith

Another vote for Evergreen. For an extra $5 per month they come up my steep 200-foot driveway to retrieve the can, dump it, then bring it back up to the house. Totally worth it.

gemma_rae

All's I can say is if you live near Mechanicsville do not use Blind Hitchcock's Trash Takers. I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore but one time my grandma used them because some "people" from her "church" recommended them and said they was awesome. They was not awesome at all. First, they showed up at 4am and dismantled my grandma's vegetable organizer. Then they sat around until 6 am smoking cigarettes until they burned down my grandma's dogwood tree. When my grandma woke up and saw what they did she nearly kicked the screen door off the hinges and grabbed the guy who looked like the leader by the throat and flipped him backwards off the deck. Some of them guys ran and one of them nearly ripped his leg off when he got it stuck in the stair rail and kept trying to claw his way out of there. That leader guy got up in a daze and my grandma nearly kicked his head off before he could get away. I never saw her get so mad except when that doctor told her that three of her toes was dead and there wasn't no point in leaving them on there any more. Anyways, them guys left so fast they forgot 2 crow bars, a bundle of rope, and a box of dynamites. She was so glad she didn't pay them guys up front and she told them "church people" all about it so all they prayed really hard against those guys for about three weeks straight. She tried to call them about a year later to see if they had any more of them dynamites but their phone was disconnected. I'm pretty sure they was all blind except the guy who was driving the truck if that helps in case they moved and changed their name or whatever.

^All you need to know^

Goldenhawk

yes. I Have done this and since i authorized the EFT i can only cancel future transfers or if it was a reoccurring payment cancel that. This whole situation sucks and i need to find out a way to fairly easily obtain my money back since the service seems to be non existent any more.

Maybe file a suit in small claims court?

tward

Have had Amber's Disposal for a few years now https://www.ambersdisposal.com/, they have been great.

Moved to them because County Waste sold our account to Evergreen, which we found out when our trash didn't get picked up!

Call Evergreen and they said they don't service my area.....

Follow up...

After contacting 5-6 companies, went with the only one to get back to me: TNT.

They missed the first pickup, but when I contacted them, they picked up the next day. Cost was $90/quarter. We'll see how things progress.

Clem72

Have had Amber's Disposal for a few years now https://www.ambersdisposal.com/, they have been great.

Moved to them because County Waste sold our account to Evergreen, which we found out when our trash didn't get picked up!

Call Evergreen and they said they don't service my area.....

What's the price you are paying for Ambers? They want an aweful lot of information on their site to get a quote that I would rather not give out if I decide not to go with them.

FED_UP

Got a quote from waste management for the heck of it since I had used them years ago, they want 116.00 per quarter for once a week pick. They must be leaving doughnuts and coffee when they stop by once a week.

Last edited: