Garden ponds

camily

Peace
Speedy70 said:
Does he build decks?
He built these two at our house and he built a nice one for the friends with the pond.

Attachments

• kids 009.jpg
    kids 009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 128
  • kids 017.jpg
    kids 017.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 133
  • kids 019.jpg
    kids 019.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 128
  • kids 021.jpg
    kids 021.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 118

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Speedy70 said:
Wow, that's huge! Makes mine look like a speck!

I'm just afraid to go too big because I don't know how much time and work I'll have to dedicate to it. I figured the smaller the pond, the easier for me. :yay:
I have a small pond, with the hard liner. I don't have a filtration system, but do have a fountain with filters. My goldfish stay in there year round, but I also have a defrosting thing I plug in when the temp gets below 40. The pond has to be cleaned about 2x a month during the summer, which means using a pump to pump the water out, getting the fish and plants out (all potted plants) and scrubbing it. It's a royal pain and takes a couple of hours. Not fun when it is this hot and humid. Would I put another one in? NO Way. Would I get rid of the one I have? Probably, when the fish get ate by the the heron that stops by once in a while.

There is a class they give at CSM, which is, I think, two nights, which tells you how to keep your pond clean and ecologically managed. I haven't taken it, obviously, but am thinking about it. I love the sound of the fountain, I love the fish, but it's a biatch to keep clean. That's all.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
camily said:
He built these two at our house and he built a nice one for the friends with the pond.
Were you guys expecting a lot of company? Awesome deck. I'd post pictures of my pond, but I don't know how.

camily

Peace
BS Gal said:
Were you guys expecting a lot of company? Awesome deck. I'd post pictures of my pond, but I don't know how.
:lol: No, there are always three tables set up and a couple single chairs. The deck it freakin' huge. :lmao: I especially like the way he left the tree there.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
camily said:
:lol: No, there are always three tables set up and a couple single chairs. The deck it freakin' huge. :lmao: I especially like the way he left the tree there.
I love decks. I love the tree there. I didn't notice it before you pointed it out. Very cool. My hubby is into woodworking. I'll see if I can get him to post pictures of some of the stuff he's done. He just made an awesome chair out of an oak that fell during some hurricane or something and made a really cool bed out of pine. It amazes me what he can do, but right now it's too hot and he has no projects, exept me.

camily

Peace
BS Gal said:
I love decks. I love the tree there. I didn't notice it before you pointed it out. Very cool. My hubby is into woodworking. I'll see if I can get him to post pictures of some of the stuff he's done. He just made an awesome chair out of an oak that fell during some hurricane or something and made a really cool bed out of pine. It amazes me what he can do, but right now it's too hot and he has no projects, exept me.
I have been trying to get mine to make a nice wooden headboard for soooo long. They are so cool looking. I bet our husbands would get along really well!
He also made a really nice wall unit that I am sitting at right now. It has a built in desk, book shelf, and a piece that goeas along the ceiling over the doorway with places for knick-knacks. It is nice to have someone so handy around.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Speedy70 said:
I've decided I want a small garden pond in our yard. I just purchased a pond kit from Lowe's. Hopefully, hubby and I should be able to set it up this weekend.

What I'd like to know, if I put goldfish in it, what do I do with them in the winter? I've heard some people say they will kind of hibernate to the bottom, but the guy at Lowe's said I have to remove the fish during the winter.

What do you do with yours? Also, any special advice for a first time pond-person?

Skeeter-breeder! :smack: :razz:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Speedy70 said:
I've decided I want a small garden pond in our yard. I just purchased a pond kit from Lowe's. Hopefully, hubby and I should be able to set it up this weekend.

What I'd like to know, if I put goldfish in it, what do I do with them in the winter? I've heard some people say they will kind of hibernate to the bottom, but the guy at Lowe's said I have to remove the fish during the winter.

What do you do with yours? Also, any special advice for a first time pond-person?
How is your pond doing? My stepmother has the cutest little pond ever, and I'd like one too, but I'm fairly certain either I or the dog would mess it up. Is it easy to set up and manage?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Nickel said:
How is your pond doing? My stepmother has the cutest little pond ever, and I'd like one too, but I'm fairly certain either I or the dog would mess it up. Is it easy to set up and manage?
Talk to fddog. He put up a pond in his front yard a year or so ago and it was cute. I don't think it took him more than a weekend to do and it looked very nice.

Nickel said:
How is your pond doing?

It's doing lovely! It looks especially pretty with the plastic wrapping and instructions still inside of it. My husband has done a wonderful job. :sarcasm:

Thanks for asking!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Speedy70 said:
It's doing lovely! It looks especially pretty with the plastic wrapping and instructions still inside of it. My husband has done a wonderful job. :sarcasm:

Thanks for asking!
:killingme