Gas Stations running out of gas

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I don't really have an article to support this but it is news and current events.

Yesterday, I was in DC along NY Ave NE where there are two Exxons diagonal from each other on opposite sides of the street. They were both out of gas and had bags on all of the pump handles. So I found a Shell at $3.10 and filled up $15 til I could make it back down here.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to fill-up before I got to work. So, today, I asked someone to go fill my car up with gas for me and they came back and said that there was no gas at the Mobile here in Upper Marlboro.

Is anyone else experience gasoline outages at their local stations? Has anyone heard about this happening a lot now?

My mom said something about the refineries not being up and running yet and that they were trying something new to add or replace the current formula for gasoline and that because of this project they are not making fuel as fast.

Feedback is well appreciated. :flowers:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
My parents are having huge problems with this in Virginia Beach. Supposedly they decided to switch all of the pumps in Virginia Beach at once, and something happened to one of the fuel suppliers, which caused additional gas shortages. They said the lack of fuel and the lines at the pumps remind them of the 70s...

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
CityGrl said:
My parents are having huge problems with this in Virginia Beach. Supposedly they decided to switch all of the pumps in Virginia Beach at once, and something happened to one of the fuel suppliers, which caused additional gas shortages. They said the lack of fuel and the lines at the pumps remind them of the 70s...
I was there Thursday and noticed the same...we tried to get gas in the Kempsville area and were SOL. :ohwell:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Nickel said:
I was there Thursday and noticed the same...we tried to get gas in the Kempsville area and were SOL. :ohwell:

That's where my parents live...

They said it's a mess, so they've decided to stay indoors. :lmao:

hollywoman

We are in the london bridge section of VA Beach and over 90% of gas stations are out of gas, it's suppose to be about switching to better gas and the tanks have to be empty for the new tanks, since the gas can not be mixed. Plus alot of peoples cars are breaking down since the bottom of the tank has water.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
And just to get a jump on it...

Before anyone starts blaming the oil companies of causing shortages and jacking up the price of gas so they can rake in another $999,999 billion gazillion million dollars, this is caused by federal legislation recently signed that requires all refiners to switch over from using MTBE to ethanol for environutty issues. Of course, no one in the government took into account the logistical complexity of switching this over going into the summer months. :lmao:

Ponytail

FromTexas said:

Before anyone starts blaming the oil companies of causing shortages and jacking up the price of gas so they can rake in another $999,999 billion gazillion million dollars, this is caused by federal legislation recently signed that requires all refiners to switch over from using MTBE to ethanol for environutty issues. Of course, no one in the government took into account the logistical complexity of switching this over going into the summer months. :lmao:

Actually, this legislation was SIGNED into law over two years ago. The oil refineries sat on it expecting a reprieve when the time came. Gub'ment ain't budging this time.

MTBE is a SERIOUS water contaminent. Ethanol, MTBE's replacement, is a solvent, which strips the lining and corrosion from the inside of the tank at the tank farms and refineries. To retreat the tanks, the tanks have to be empty. An empty tank means loss of sale/profit, which is primarily why the oil companies opted to wait.

California completely banned the use of MTBE something like 5 years ago. The oil companies have known for a long time that this was coming. Once again, the greed of an industry is affecting the masses negatively.

Before this ban went into affect, two years ago, the refineries had to be producing 1/3 of their fuels using Ethanol. Last year, I believe it was 40%.

Last edited:
FromTexas said:

AH HAH! It IS all Bush's fault! That dirty rascal!

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
hollywoman said:
We are in the london bridge section of VA Beach and over 90% of gas stations are out of gas, it's suppose to be about switching to better gas and the tanks have to be empty for the new tanks, since the gas can not be mixed. Plus alot of peoples cars are breaking down since the bottom of the tank has water.

Now that is something to think about. I heard somewhere that if that ever happens you can add some kind of additive to your tank to keep it from breaking down.

Ponytail

LexiGirl75 said:
Now that is something to think about. I heard somewhere that if that ever happens you can add some kind of additive to your tank to keep it from breaking down.

Apples and oranges... the tanks in question are the ones at the tank farms and refineries. Has nothing to with the tank in your car. Chances are, you've mixed it already and didn't know. The MTBE legislation has been in a phase out stage for about the last 5 years.