Gay Jersey Governor

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, you gotta hand it to this guy. It's not often your lover tries to blackmail you and you turn the tables on him by going public yourself. :yay:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Actually, you gotta hand it to this guy. It's not often your lover tries to blackmail you and you turn the tables on him by going pubic yourself. :yay:
:wink: I couldn't agree with you more!

But seriously, form what I hear, the reason the Gov went public was because he got word that Golan Cipel was going to expose the whole affair any day, and he thought his best chance of preserving his political viablility was to "come out" swinging first, and plug the leak before it got blown out of proportion.

C

czygvtwkr

Originally posted by penncam
:wink: I couldn't agree with you more!

........ and plug the leak before it got blown out of proportion.

Interesting choice of words.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Interesting choice of words.
I admit the curious turn of phrase, but it's still true, nonetheless.

Corruption seems to be what this is all about, the way he moved his paramour around from job to job, plus he's played another card; by not resigning until Nov. 15th, his successor will be another democrat, so in doing it this way, he nixes any chance of a state election, thereby denying the republicans a shot at the office.

I think he took lessons from Slick Willie.:boo:

SurfaceTension

Originally posted by rraley
From what I see, however, nothing in the 2001 Campaign would point to McGreevey having poor judgement. His actions in office, however, violated the public trust and showed poor judgement. It is just very difficult to make deicisons about a candidate's judgement during a campaign. The only realm to make those sort of decisions occurs when one governs. At least, that's how I see it.

Dunno about his 2001 campaign but, as I don't follow NJ politics very closely, I'll take your word on it....However, given the narcissistic, egregious nature of this "lapse", I doubt that it was the first.

Unfortunately, because a candidate has the "right positions on the issues" we tend to overlook his character, and what the consequences might lead to....Well here ya go.

I am reminded of the Wellstone funeral - if we, as citizens, ever elect anyone who did not walk out sickened by that spectacle, we should be ashamed.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
– Edward R. Murrow

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Here's a perspective on McGreevey by Hank Stuever, a columnist who is openly gay.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61427-2004Aug12.html

A closet case is often thought to be beyond help, even once he comes out. He's missed the boat. (He missed all the boats, for decades.) He's like a confused teenager in a 47-year-old's body, way behind on his homework. He is twice or three times the age of people going through what he's ostensibly now going through, which makes him suspect: Why so long? What else is he hiding? ...

There's no way to get it all done during a single press conference. But that's exactly what New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey seemed to be doing yesterday afternoon when he resigned, delivering a statement that sounded partly like a late-night phone call from a dorm room, or an Oscar moment in a film about a closeted gay pol, but also like the cry of a genuinely broken soul...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Anyone read that the Israeli solider says he's straight and that McGreevey was repeately hitting on him?

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Tonio
Anyone read that the Israeli solider says he's straight and that McGreevey was repeately hitting on him?
I read that. I am frankly suprised anyone dare print it. If it is true it changes the Governor from the poor confused gay guy who had a lapse of judgment and into a freaky sexual predator. Just what the gay lobby would HATE.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Tonio
:cool: Yeah, this had me shaking my head for a while:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20040815/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_nj_governor

"JERUSALEM - The Israeli man at the center of New Jersey Gov. James E. McGreevey's resignation over a gay affair said in an interview published Sunday that he is straight and had no idea initially that his former boss is a homosexual."

Go figure.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:confused: However, with all thats been said, covered in the news so far, if the supposed victim is claiming to be straight, why in the world did McGreevey bring this guy over to the U.S., and install him as State/Homeland Security Director?

Why did the governor attempt this, knowing he didn't have the qualifications, and as an Israeli, would not be granted a security clearance needed to execute his duties?

There is a big fat stinking slab of rock that needs to be turned over in New Jersey, eh?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
The "I am a Gay American" Defense

I found this interesting because, from this author's point of view, Gov. McGreevey selected a very slick way of defending his administration's downfall.

When he came out to the podium and declared "I am a Gay American", he immediately and very brilliantly received the sympathy of most established gays in America, and straight people as well.

Why?

Because thousands of us have heard the stories of both men and women "trapped" inside a body they cannot identify with, or they are uncomfortable with, for however long they've realised it.

How horrible it must be!

What he did, was, in so many words, was to deflect away from him - the corruption that pervaded his office.

And, he decide to resign effective Nov. 15th!

Now, on the News, he's actually gotten a jump in the polls of about 8% approval rating, since he made that speech on national TV.

Amazing, only in America - oh BTW, as you can all see, we are becoming a greater moralistic country, day by day.:rolleyes:

Hessian

Penn, yet another reason why we shouldn't execute murderers in this country: give them a little time to spin their victimization or orientation and their popularity rises...oh how we sympathize with the perpetrator.
ie: the Moslem fanatic who killed the cop(s) in Pennsylvania.-writing poetry and having demonstrations to free him as a political prisoner.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by penncam
What he did, was, in so many words, was to deflect away from him - the corruption that pervaded his office.

No different from a politician like Marion Barry who cries racism when he gets in trouble. Crap like that only makes it harder to fight genuine prejudice. Like Barry, McGreevey is just trying to save his own ass... uh, metaphorically speaking. :lol:

(Yesterday in Wal-Mart, I heard someone use the word "colored" while laughing at names like Tamika and Shaniqua. I wasn't aware that anyone under age 70 still used that word. Still not as bad as the time I heard a waitress use the word "jigaboo" a couple of years ago. I'm grateful my kids weren't around to hear those words.)

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I was wondering how long this would take, this just received in a email today:

Top 10 McGreevey Jokes...

10 NJ state bird - Swallow
9 NJ turnpike renamed Hershey Highway
8 NJ raises terror alert level to lavender
7 We know he didn't like bush, but this is ridiculous
6 Now we know why mcgreevey enjoyed "polling" so much
5 What does mcgreevey and the isreali navy have in common?
Jewish seaman.
4 NJ DMV to now call rear end accidents a "Mcgreevey"
3 Gives new meaning to stuffing the ballot box
2 Post headline...Mcgreevey goes down
1 Shouldn't take Mcgreevey long to get out of the governers
mansion, he's already got his schitt packed!

:wink: