Gelding heath question...

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Flare did you happen to have just wormed your horse before the swelling was noticed??

Glad to hear you horse is feeling better and hope your able to show this weekend. :howdy:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
BZHorseMomE said:
Flare did you happen to have just wormed your horse before the swelling was noticed??

I think we wormed them 3 weeks ago...
His swelling is about half the size it was the other day :banana:
i think he can go to the show suday... but i'm going to ride him today to make sure he's not hurting ( he will buck while loping if he is).
thanks again for all of the help :huggy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Something is really bothering him if he bucks when swollen..Is he a lazy peeer? He may need to be cleaned out regularly..

changeling

flarenuphope said:
THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION:

We have a 9yr old tb gelding that has some sort of problem with his sheath.
About once a month he would become swollen (the sheath) and he would get this swollen pocket, kinda like fat tissue (its squishy), right in front of the sheath, usually the size of my hand. The first time we called out a vet, she cleaned it, got a large"bean" out, and only said that it's from him gaining wait, and that usually only older male horses get like that.
This has been happening off and on for about 6 months now, but instead of calling the vet my mom cleans it, and a day or two latter he's back to normal.
Also when he gets like that, swollen, he bucks when cantering.

This past Saturday we noticed he was swollen, so we cleaned his sheath on Sunday. When i checked on him Monday he was twice as swollen, and the knot like thing was twice as big too. So we cleaned him out again, and yesterday he was once again much bigger. We called the vet to see what she thought and all she told us to do was make sure he was clean down there, which we did. We also marked how big the knot like thing was.
Then today, he was still swollen, the knot about two inches longer than yesterday.

I've seen him go pee twice yesterday, but he didnt pee much either time, usually a horse pees like a waterfall :lmao:
he isnt in obvious pain, He just cringes(looks like he's about to kick) his back legs when we soak him.
We also left him in the stall (we have run-ins, and gates to close them in) one night to see if it would help, but it did nothing. :jameo:

Has any one ever had a problem like this with there gelding? Is there anything to help stop the swelling?
If any one has prior experience or knowledge about this i would greatly appreciate any help. I have a horse show this coming Sunday and i WAS going to use him, but if the swelling dosnt go down i wont.
thanks

We had the same problem a few years back with an older horse and thought he was having a problem with his sheath so we kept cleaning and hosing. It turned out to be edema related to a heart problem we didn't know about. Has the vet given him a complete physical?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
changeling said:
We had the same problem a few years back with an older horse and thought he was having a problem with his sheath so we kept cleaning and hosing. It turned out to be edema related to a heart problem we didn't know about. Has the vet given him a complete physical?
sorry to say, but my vet dosnt really look into things... well to me she donst... she did the exam when we got his blood drawn for the coggens test.