General Pace's statement

How do you feel about General Pace's comment?

• I support "Don't ask, don't tell," and think gays should NOT serve in the Military

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I think gays should be allowed to serve in the military just like everyone else

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Not only do I think they shouldn't serve, but I agree that the gay lifestyle is immoral

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • I think gays are OK, but they don't belong in the military

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Coventry17 said:
Some people are raised to believe that black people are animals and Jews are filthy money grubbing evil doers. We should just accept that, too, I suppose.

Whoa, hey. Calm down a bit. I don't think that's what either of us is saying.

The fact is, in the military, there is a high ratio of soldiers/sailors who have very little tolerance for gays. They could care less what color you are, or religion, but the sexual preference thing really gets to many people in the military. Whether it is due to having to share rooms, showers, and other close quarters and intimate type situations, I don't know.

But the fact is, though it is not right, these people really do attack the gay members of the military. It's impossible to stop them from beating anyone up, because first you have to figure out who each and every one of the offenders is. There's a code in the military - especially the marines - and they aren't going to turn each other in.

Secondly, many of these people are not going to back up gays in hostile situations either. Such as the battle field. In the military you have to trust, 100%, your brethern on the field, on the ship, whatever. Without that trust, people die - more than would if the trust was there. You got a bunch of guys who hate the one guy cause he's gay, that's not good for the group, and in some situations is even deadly. May not be right, but that's the way it is.

I don't know if you've served. I have. It's a whole different life. It's a job that can cost you your life. It's not the time to worry about being PC, you just need to keep it as safe as possible so people are as safe as possible.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Our ships's barber was gay. He never said it, but we all knew, and as long as you weren't a jerk about it, you always got a good haircut. I could care less if they are gay if they want to serve.

O

oldnavy

I have been in the service for 25 years now...still serving... and here is my input. I personally believe that gays get such a hard time because the flaunt it so much. They know that they are protected by the chain of command because no Commanding Officer wants any type of incident to happen while he is in charge. The gays flaunt it because they know it makes others uncomfortable and that for the most part nobody is going to do anything because the chain of command is over sensitive...on the side of the gays. It's like the straight people are the ones who have to be careful of what they say and do.
The gay life-style most certainly does disrupt the normal, every day operations of a military unit. As a Sailor, on a ship at sea, for an extended deployment, we simply don't need the distraction of everything associated with having gays serve.
That being said, I think that the days of gay bashing, picking on gays, etc., etc., have for the most part long passed. Yes, there are still exceptions, but they are, for the most part, few and far between. The "fat guy" or girl with zits she can't get rid of gets a far harder time than the gay.
I'll also add that in my opinion you are full of crap if you think that anyone who serves along side another service member will not back them up in a hostile situation. I don't like serving with gays, but I'm sure not going to let one of my fellow service members die if I can help it.

Tinkerbell said:
Whoa, hey. Calm down a bit. I don't think that's what either of us is saying.

The fact is, in the military, there is a high ratio of soldiers/sailors who have very little tolerance for gays. They could care less what color you are, or religion, but the sexual preference thing really gets to many people in the military. Whether it is due to having to share rooms, showers, and other close quarters and intimate type situations, I don't know.

But the fact is, though it is not right, these people really do attack the gay members of the military. It's impossible to stop them from beating anyone up, because first you have to figure out who each and every one of the offenders is. There's a code in the military - especially the marines - and they aren't going to turn each other in.

Secondly, many of these people are not going to back up gays in hostile situations either. Such as the battle field. In the military you have to trust, 100%, your brethern on the field, on the ship, whatever. Without that trust, people die - more than would if the trust was there. You got a bunch of guys who hate the one guy cause he's gay, that's not good for the group, and in some situations is even deadly. May not be right, but that's the way it is.

I don't know if you've served. I have. It's a whole different life. It's a job that can cost you your life. It's not the time to worry about being PC, you just need to keep it as safe as possible so people are as safe as possible.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Dearest Forest

Lenny said:
..and, of course, your military service (which gives you the qualifications to have an opinion about how well it works) was ..........? <fill in the blank>

Still waiting for your military resume. :whoosh: :tap: