God Bless Eight Bells

sockgirl77

Hey, on Route 5 north, there's a lil town called Hughesville. If you pass through it and keep driving, you'll be out of St. Marys and will see there's a whole big world out here.... :lmao: Try it sometime. :biggrin:

I know that I shelter my kids. There are things in this world that I prefer them not see. When you have kids :)jet:)you may give me advice. :yay:

C

campinmutt

SHe's talking about riding yearlings. She mentions the racing industry as well as the AQHA peeps. Riding yearlings is just stupid, IMO.

at least the AQHA has placed rules to help...you can not show a 2 yr old before july of their 2 yr old year.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Do you really think that is the case or do you think the damn horse was just pushed beyond her limits, which is a bit sadistic and cruel?

Racing (horse and greyhound) is ridiculous.
I have no problem with horses pulling carts or plows, or being used for necessary work functions- but using them for sport or entertainment, to the point of death is just a real disappointment in the human race.
:mad:

sockgirl77

Racing (horse and greyhound) is ridiculous.
I have no problem with horses pulling carts or plows, or being used for necessary work functions- but using them for sport or entertainment, to the point of death is just a real disappointment in the human race.
:mad:

Now THAT I agree with. :yay:

GallopNTec

I agree w/ you on waiting longer to begin racing. The eventing issues are different all together. The eventing world is investigating solutions right now, the racing world will likely continue on as they are.

Right the issues are different but the eventing world is doing the right thing- acknowledging and trying to correct and being forthright ,the racing world is tap dancing and finger pointing.

Unfortunately it does all come down to the almighty dollar and very few race horses are viewed as anything besides a "piece of equipment"- until they're of the track and find kind hearted people (like me!) to give them the life they deserve.

GallopNTec

Good grief people, get a clue...

Why not try to learn what your speaking of...

Try this...

Welfare and Safety Summit : Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation

Thanks, it is very informative but analysis of track surface, mandatory post mortem exams and changing purse stakes aren't the issue.
How is certification for grooms stablehands etc going to help? Humane euthanasia supported by the Unwanted Horse Council?
Regulating the size of crops OMG!!!!!
Again tap dancing around the REAL problem - these horses are too young!
I do know of what I speak, worked at a racing stable on the track and a "rehab" & "breaking" barn.

IntegritysDream

I think racing to a degree can be crule. I think in a big way, its more of a gambling thing now then a sport and love for horses. Im not saying ALL races are this way or race people are crule or anything like that. I think that there should be more rules, reguarding to the horses development, training, and they need to find some way to prevent the horses from getting hurt as bad, weather it be changing the sand to synthetic, creating some kinda leg wrap or boot that will not come off or something to provide some kinda support, or have some kinda limit on how much you can "push" the horse. Just theres gotta be SOMETHING.
But the sad part is, many people are just looking at racing because the derby is such a big deal, but there are many things that need to be revised or changed because there are things that happen like this in every disipline.. eventing..hunters.. jumpers.. western... even dressage.

there are worst things in the horse world rather then track racing that people should start looking at. there are many things that need to be completely banned because they intentionally kill the horses like horse tripping, slaugther, and many other things.

covekat

Thanks, it is very informative but analysis of track surface, mandatory post mortem exams and changing purse stakes aren't the issue.
How is certification for grooms stablehands etc going to help? Humane euthanasia supported by the Unwanted Horse Council?
Regulating the size of crops OMG!!!!!
Again tap dancing around the REAL problem - these horses are too young!
I do know of what I speak, worked at a racing stable on the track and a "rehab" & "breaking" barn.

There are lots of studies going on, not just the ones you listed...

Wondering if you've ever heard of the Maryland Shin Study...just google shin studies, and you will find LOTS of info.

I dont condone running 2 yr olds, in fact, I still have one 2 yr old filly "growing" up in one of my fields, and just now sent another 2 yr old colt to be broke.

But I have seen plenty of older horses break down, as well as youngsters...

When they speak of regulating crops, it would mean less stallions with not so great confo, and mares used for breeding, which is part of the problem.

There is not one solution to the problem, but many questions that need to be answered,and theories that need to be proven (like the Polytrack)... not running young horses is not the solution by any means.