God I hate humped up bridges

Beta

Smile!
What are you driving? Or are you referring to traffic in front of you? Most modern vehicles shouldn't have any problems accelerating up that slope.

I have a v6...I noticed that I had to put in some extra effort to accelerate, and since there's no point in burning extra gas, I didn't bother. That kept me around 45. People in a rush would probably end up tailing me, hence causing a wave that results in additional traffic. Once you get to the top and speeding up is easier, traffic is eased.

Since you're so quick to shoot it down, do you have other ideas? Do people suddenly stop getting scared when they get to the top of the bridge? Maybe they stop looking at the view once they're on top because there's no point in taking a look when the view is the best. Maybe the right turn at the bottom slows down traffic, but only to the middle/top of the bridge?
:whistle:

glhs837

Power with Control
I have a v6...I noticed that I had to put in some extra effort to accelerate, and since there's no point in burning extra gas, I didn't bother. That kept me around 45. People in a rush would probably end up tailing me, hence causing a wave that results in additional traffic. Once you get to the top and speeding up is easier, traffic is eased.

Since you're so quick to shoot it down, do you have other ideas? Do people suddenly stop getting scared when they get to the top of the bridge? Maybe they stop looking at the view once they're on top because there's no point in taking a look when the view is the best. Maybe the right turn at the bottom slows down traffic, but only to the middle/top of the bridge?
:whistle:

I didn't say that people don't slow down going up, just that there's no real reason to slow down unless you dont care, as you say "I didnt bother", which really means "screw'em". And it's not folks in a rush, it's people just trying to get where they are going at what they view as a reasonable speed. You describe roller-coastering, clankclankclankclank..........WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!.

Hank

my war
People slow down on an incline no matter what. Why, I don't know. The hill on 231 near Hallowing Point Park is a prime example. The speed limit is 50, but when people get to the incline its like they forget how to accelerate and end up going 40 or sometimes below. So, it's not just a bridge thing.

Beta

Smile!
I didn't say that people don't slow down going up, just that there's no real reason to slow down unless you dont care, as you say "I didnt bother", which really means "screw'em". And it's not folks in a rush, it's people just trying to get where they are going at what they view as a reasonable speed. You describe roller-coastering, clankclankclankclank..........WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!.

The speed limit isn't reasonable? I thought you're supposed to go at or below that number. Who knew reasonable meant 5-15 over? :shrug:

People slow down on an incline no matter what. Why, I don't know. The hill on 231 near Hallowing Point Park is a prime example. The speed limit is 50, but when people get to the incline its like they forget how to accelerate and end up going 40 or sometimes below. So, it's not just a bridge thing.

They just maintain acceleration, which slows down for an incline. That happened to me occasionally and by the time I notice, it's a little more difficult to accelerate compared to if I had anticipated it, for whatever reason. The bridge isn't special, but since it's the single fail-point for rush hour, that's why it's more pronounced.

glhs837

Power with Control
The speed limit isn't reasonable? I thought you're supposed to go at or below that number. Who knew reasonable meant 5-15 over? :shrug:

Whats reasonable, and recommended by the NHTSA is that speed limits get set by using a survey that determines the speed of the 85th percentile and set the speed to that. If that 85th percentile speed is above the limit, then no the limit isn't reasonable.

Beta

Smile!
Whats reasonable, and recommended by the NHTSA is that speed limits get set by using a survey that determines the speed of the 85th percentile and set the speed to that. If that 85th percentile speed is above the limit, then no the limit isn't reasonable.

That's obviously ignoring safety factors. The speed limit on a narrow two lane bridge with no median and a right exit with a minimal exit lane is reasonable at 45. Any faster in high traffic conditions is a potential hazard. That means 235 should have a speed limit of 60-65 (similar to most highways) and the Beltway should be around 75 instead of 55. :duh:

glhs837

Power with Control
See, that's the funny thing. they have found that people just sort of choose a safe speed. Including safety factors. The NHTSA has even said that local and state govts should do less of the "Well, of course XX mph is the reasonable speed, why do a study?" and actually do them. And I'll bet you would find that indeed 235 should be 50, not 45. And the beltway should be at least 65.

Beta

Smile!
See, that's the funny thing. they have found that people just sort of choose a safe speed. Including safety factors. The NHTSA has even said that local and state govts should do less of the "Well, of course XX mph is the reasonable speed, why do a study?" and actually do them. And I'll bet you would find that indeed 235 should be 50, not 45. And the beltway should be at least 65.

I don't disagree in theory, but there are usually isolated incidents/locations that they factor in, which ruin it for the other 99% of the time. I.E. on the bridge, it's narrow and there's the right turn at the bottom with no turnoff, hence 45 MPH. The Beltway has a few major curves that slow people down, plus random traffic issues that they feel require the 55MPH speed limit, so they did a one-size-fits-all approach instead of changing the speeds at certain locations.

But it would be nice if they bumped the speed on 235! :mad: