Going to hell for eating meat is cancelled for 2020

SamSpade

Wow. I was SO sure this was going to be another Babylon Bee thing.

I mean, historically, not eating meat on Fridays has evolved over time to simply represent an actual "fast". It stems from the conviction that God requires men to do penance and fasts are a form of penance, even though Catholic leaders through history have observed - at least, the Biblical perspective - that a fast is meaningless if not accompanied by a change in spirit, in attitude. You don't do yourself any good to sit in sackcloth and ashes and wail out loud, if you're just going through the motions.

When we were in Ethiopia - the Ethiopian Orthodox calendar was usually observed in restaurants, which meant as often as three times a week, some stuff on the menu just wasn't going to be served. Their calendar has 180 days where fasting is observed.

SamSpade

That would explain why they are so skinny.

I didn't find them to be all that thin. Actually our facilitator was a little curvy even if she thought she was "fat".

Funny story though - we were talking about stuff like private property and stuff and she said "well a LONG time ago, there was a famine in Ethiopia.." and we interrupted and said - it wasn't THAT long ago.

She answered - well - it was BEFORE I was born.
Ugh. We Are The World seemed like yesterday and to her it was ancient history.

Ethiopia was weird to us in many ways. Many people are poor - but most of them seem fine, in person.
Dress well, clean - have cell phones.
And may very well live in a corrugated metal shack held together with bailing wire and have a dirt floor.
But one that has a satellite dish for TV.

Most people have very few possessions - but they don't seem to need them.
In the city you don't really need a car - in fact, sometimes the traffic makes it better not to have one.
And small buses or taxis can take you anywhere for about a dime. Fresh produce is so cheap, it's almost free.
A game at the sports arena will run less than a dollar. A nice apartment - and some were actually nice - might run
less than 500. Out away from the capitol - much less.