Gold Fish & Koi

homedepot20

I was advised to ADD Sea Salt to my outdoor pond of Goldfish & Koi. Any one heard of doing this or does this. !:whistle:

friendtofishes

Salt?

Are you treating for specific illness? Goldfish and Koi do not 'require' salt in their water.

Salt is often used as a treatment for certain parasite infestations such as ICH. It also will aid a fish that has injuries recover as it aids in osmoregulation. Salt will also help soothe the affects of nitrite poisoning.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was advised to ADD Sea Salt to my outdoor pond of Goldfish & Koi. Any one heard of doing this or does this. !:whistle:

Yes.. I add salt to my freshwater aquarium every time I change the water...

Don't know how you'll do it in a pond after the first time. The salts never leave and salt should only be added again after changing out the water.

About a Tbs for every 5 gallons of water..

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Don't know how you'll do it in a pond after the first time. The salts never leave and salt should only be added again after changing out the water.

I figured when adding salt to fish it would be "to taste".

homedepot20

Are you treating for specific illness? Goldfish and Koi do not 'require' salt in their water.

Salt is often used as a treatment for certain parasite infestations such as ICH. It also will aid a fish that has injuries recover as it aids in osmoregulation. Salt will also help soothe the affects of nitrite poisoning.

No I was advised Sea Salt will help goldfish & Kio have healthier scales & color

homedepot20

mrsclem

A .1 % salt level is ok to keep at all times but not necessary. Don't exceed a level of .15 if you have plants as they don't tolerate salt. Don't waste your money buying the salt from pet stores. Go to Lowes and get the blue bag of water softener salt (40lb) for about $5. Make sure its sodium chloride not potassium chloride.

homedepot20

A .1 % salt level is ok to keep at all times but not necessary. Don't exceed a level of .15 if you have plants as they don't tolerate salt. Don't waste your money buying the salt from pet stores. Go to Lowes and get the blue bag of water softener salt (40lb) for about $5. Make sure its sodium chloride not potassium chloride.

Great Advise:yay: , but not LOWES , Home Depot !

homedepot20

One of my Kio was bloated & lying flat on bottom of pond . I hope it was sick & dying because I disposed of it before my others got infected . Any one may had this issue before ???. I hope it wasn't lying eggs !

Roman

My Daughter's Koi use to do that, and she thought it was some kind of mating thing. Did it have any white slime on it, or any sores? If so, I would treat the pond accordingly.

luvscats

Goldfish Need New Home

We are having work done on our pond that necessitated the draining of the pond. I need to re-home our goldfish. There are about 15 of them and they range in size from 3" to 6".

Anyone interested in some addl goldfish? I live in Huntingtown.

Thank you kindly.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We are having work done on our pond that necessitated the draining of the pond. I need to re-home our goldfish. There are about 15 of them and they range in size from 3" to 6".

Anyone interested in some addl goldfish? I live in Huntingtown.

Thank you kindly.

Don't you "luvscats". Sounds like a self resolving problem...

luvscats

Don't you "luvscats". Sounds like a self resolving problem...

Yep, I hear ya. My cat has thyroid problems. Fish are high in iodine. High iodine aggravates thyroid problems. Thyroid problems cause visits to the vet. Vet visits cause bills. Bills have to be paid.

It's easier and cheaper for me to re-home the fish.

Thank you for your suggestion tho.