Golden Retreivers

christy217

I just got a puppy, and I am thinking about going back and getting her sister, actually I've already put a hold on her! I wanted to hear from other GR owners about their experiences with this breed any words of wisdom, etc.? I've researched, etc., but this is my first GR, and I just wanted to hear from others!

I am nothing short of amazed by this breeds intelligence docile manner and overall disposition.

TIA

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I just got a puppy, and I am thinking about going back and getting her sister, actually I've already put a hold on her! I wanted to hear from other GR owners about their experiences with this breed any words of wisdom, etc.? I've researched, etc., but this is my first GR, and I just wanted to hear from others!

I am nothing short of amazed by this breeds intelligence docile manner and overall disposition.

TIA

Mine is a spazz.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
I don't own them, but a neighbor of ours does and they decided to get 2 at the same time and they have done well by them. Many, many classes etc. I told her I would have split them up in age say one now one in 1-2 years. She didn't and she did indicate that would have been easier to do that way. However, it can be done and can be done well; they are 100% proof of that, their GR are wonder family members. I hope to have a pom one day that is as well behaved. :whistle:

TIA

Nanny Pam

Every GR I've ever known was a sweet dog. Gentle with kids, well behaved, and very smart. Crabcake has one, too and she is just the sweetest girl!
go on, get another one. You won't be sorry. Yes, it will be tough going thru the puppy stages, but that's all dogs. The end reward will be well worth it. :yay:

bobbyb

Bailey is one year old this month and is our 5th GR. My son has two GR now but lost his "old man" a couple of years ago. They are the very best there is. We have never met one that didn't love his family with everything they had.
They require some grooming every day. Just a quick brush through with a nail brush and their coat will remain knot free. Puppies need to be challenged as often as you possibly can. They also need to be reminded to not use their teeth to communicate with you. But they will be the best company you and your family will ever have. Having two will be a blessing. Find a cheap Vet for shots and the best you can find for illness. Be very careful about the parent's health certifications. GR can have serious health problems that good breeders are trying to breed out. If they do not have at least Eye CERF - Canine Eye Registration Foundation and Hip
( Orthopedic Foundation for Animals ) certifications don't buy the puppies.

Attachments

• PC050124.jpg
    PC050124.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

RPMDAD

TIA

Nothing but good things to say about them they are great dogs.......

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Can't say enough great things about our former golden or any other golden I've met. Trixie, Mr. Brown and Samson were our first three dogs as a couple. Samson and Trixie were brought home together and Mr. Brown came shortly after. I still (unfairly) compare every dog that comes through to these three and especially Samson. A lot of great dogs have come through our door, both foster and residents but there's never been another like him.
I say get the sister and double the fun.:buddies:

Attachments

• three amigos.jpg
    three amigos.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 117

ginwoman

Our Golden is a sweet heart. No good as a watch dog. She would watch the burgler rob our house. Very good personality and just wants to please.

Julie_J

I'd rather pull out all my teeth than raise two puppies at once. :lmao:

Double vet bills, food bills, etc. Be prepared! Had a golden, fabulous dog but had allergies to everything, including grass, chronic ear infections his whole life, arthritis early.

Get one trained well, then add a second. Social learning can be a blessing or a curse.

Joe'smom

Have two GR....gotten from the same breeder 3 years apart. It was the best decsision we made---getting a friend for a friend and they are the best of buddies. Both are smart in their own ways but just as lovable equally---such quich learners----was fetching the first day we brought home (8 weeks)

Butters

Goldies

I have a 2 year old GR "Buttercup", awesome, cute, slightly hiper but very trainable and listens really well. I have 4 other dogs of various breeds and she gets along with them all. Her best buddy is my 6 year old Husky "Neko".
i'd love to get another GR but I'm quite happy with all my critters. My advise; take it or leave it, would be to get a GR they are great with kids and just a joy to have.

ginwoman

Double vet bills, food bills, etc. Be prepared! Had a golden, fabulous dog but had allergies to everything, including grass, chronic ear infections his whole life, arthritis early.

Get one trained well, then add a second. Social learning can be a blessing or a curse.

I agree. Two at once would be quite a challenge. We tried getting two puppies several years ago (yellow labs). They became so only aware of themselves and each other. It was our fault I'm sure. We just wanted the puppies to have someone to play with and grow up together, but it jumped up and bit us. We gave one away, and the other died in no time......of a broken heart I am certain. Now we get out dogs from shelters. ARF was the last one and he has been a godsend. Sweetest dog in the world and funny too.

krb

TIA

When I got my first german Shepherd I contemplated buying siblings. I was strongly discouraged from getting two. The reason given was that they would bond very strongly with eachother and perhaps less so with the family. I was told to consider getting one and waiting maybe a year or so. That way the role in the family was established already.

I waited four years-devoting TONS of time to training dog #1 first. It was a very good decision for me. I added #2 last year. Dog #1 has aided in the training of the new addition. There is no question as to status in the house either.

I am sure there are tons of siblings being raised together just fine. For me-this way worked.

Good luck-you will do well either way. Not much cuter than a golden puppy!!

SunSpot

When I got my first german Shepherd I contemplated buying siblings. I was strongly discouraged from getting two. The reason given was that they would bond very strongly with eachother and perhaps less so with the family. I was told to consider getting one and waiting maybe a year or so. That way the role in the family was established already.

I waited four years-devoting TONS of time to training dog #1 first. It was a very good decision for me. I added #2 last year. Dog #1 has aided in the training of the new addition. There is no question as to status in the house either.

I am sure there are tons of siblings being raised together just fine. For me-this way worked.

Good luck-you will do well either way. Not much cuter than a golden puppy!!

I agree that raising siblings may not be the best idea. I've also heard that they will bond with each other and be more likely to tune into each other making them harder to train. Also, housebreaking is more difficult with two pups. Puppy see, puppy do. When one has an accident, it's more likely you will have two accidents on your hands. Just about time you think you've got them housebroken, one slips up, then the next. Some breeders won't even sell siblings together because of these issues.

I would suggest one pup at a time. Get the first one trained and through all the puppy stuff and after a year or two, get a playmate. You will then find that the second pup is easier to train because he's learning good habits from his older sibling.

christy217

My babies

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your stories! I have attached a pic of Kelsey and Kinley, both females. I had Kinley a day first, then got her sis, the breeder did very well with them, they are nearly potty trained, very smart dogs. We have a Olde English Bulldogge that is 16 months-my nieces dog and my other niece that lives with me has a long haired chihuahua.

So far they all love each other! Lol!

We're already signed up for training classes too. Kinley knows water, fetch, stay, what No means, and potty and her name, Kelsey is getting the hang of it! I am going to take time to do a lil one on one with them.

Thanks have a great weekend everyone!

Attachments

• Kelsey and Kinley.jpg
    Kelsey and Kinley.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 80
J

jp2854

they are both pretty dogs :). Bruno most of the time pretends she doesn't know her name so i have to call her by one of her many nicknames and she comes running right to me. she is in the terrible 2 stage of life. We are trying to retrain her right now with teh come command and the stay command. she does it sometimes and then sometimes she just ignores me and goes on and does what she wants which really makes me mad but there is nothing i can do about it since I had a poor trainer the first time around. now i have someone who knows what she is doing to help me and shes doing a good job. We are doing positive training. no yelling no hitting no jerking the dogs pinch collar. Actually the trainer i am using now hates the fact that I have bruno on a pinch collar she wants me to take it off of her (she wants me to get the next size up for her and get the plastic nubs to protect the prongs from going into her neck) but I said will not take the pinch collar off til she stops pulling as she is too strong for me and if i am not careful could end up seriously hurt.

The next dog I get after this one goes I am having training by julie help me with as she is very good and I like her :) if you want her number I can give it to you :) she also has a website too and i can give that to you too if you would like :).

DPA469

they are both pretty dogs :). Bruno most of the time pretends she doesn't know her name so i have to call her by one of her many nicknames and she comes running right to me. she is in the terrible 2 stage of life. We are trying to retrain her right now with teh come command and the stay command. she does it sometimes and then sometimes she just ignores me and goes on and does what she wants which really makes me mad but there is nothing i can do about it since I had a poor trainer the first time around. now i have someone who knows what she is doing to help me and shes doing a good job. We are doing positive training. no yelling no hitting no jerking the dogs pinch collar. Actually the trainer i am using now hates the fact that I have bruno on a pinch collar she wants me to take it off of her (she wants me to get the next size up for her and get the plastic nubs to protect the prongs from going into her neck) but I said will not take the pinch collar off til she stops pulling as she is too strong for me and if i am not careful could end up seriously hurt.

The next dog I get after this one goes I am having training by julie help me with as she is very good and I like her :) if you want her number I can give it to you :) she also has a website too and i can give that to you too if you would like :).

As I have listened to many of your posts about you and your dog it has come to my attention that it may be YOU who is to blame for your dogs lack of obedience. You seem to blame you first trainer - shame on you - I'm sure you are just going on what the trainer you are using at this time is putting into your head as you seem not to be able to grasp the concept of what others try to tell you. There have been several people on this forum that have tried to help you with your dang dog and explain to you that your dog is taking an alpha roll over you and your are too much of a pansy to take control of your dog. It doesn’t matter if it was dealing with food, health, sleep, barking, walking, training or whatever you cant get the concept of what other are explaining to you so it could help in anyway. You go right back to what you were doing before! :shrug: The best one was when you made a comment about your crazy dog eating late at night and then something about sleeping a lot. WOW!

A prong collar used right is just fine, E-collar works for some dogs, halti's work for some - not for others, positive reinforcement if the dog will respond to that is just fine also! There are millions of ways to train animals - REMEMBER THAT! You are the type of person that will be happy with happy with who ever is giving you and your dog attention at that moment! For the love of god open your eyes girl - you let your dang dog rule your life - grow some balls and take charge and be alpha, be the leader you dog needs or stop whining about your dog! We are all tired of hearing about it!

That’s all :coffee:

PS I have heard negative things about Training by Julie also :shrug: (not all things they have done have been SO positive) And just to let you know - to show you what your trainer does not know - the prongs DO NOT GO INTO THE DOGS NECK and those plastic nubs really do not do a dang thing but fall off and get sucked up into your vacuum. That collar is designed to pinch the dog, not to choke the dog, not for the prongs to penetrate the skin on the neck hence why they are blunt. These collars also give the dog a chance to self correct if they start pulling on their own unlike a choke collar where they will choke the dog out and you have a potential risk to damage the dogs trachea.

TurboK9

Just get a Herm Sprenger. The nubs are nicely rounded and smooth with no burrs or sharp edges. They are the only ones I'll use.

For the record, the prong collar was never intended to be used as a 'no pull' device. It is a training collar only. Using it to keep a dog from pulling can injure the dog... using it as a training collar (properly) won't.