"Good job Son!"

seekeroftruth

Mark 9:2 After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. 3 His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. 4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.
5 Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 6 (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)
7 Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”
8 Suddenly, when they looked around, they no longer saw anyone with them except Jesus.
9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. 10 They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant.
11 And they asked him, “Why do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”
12 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah does come first, and restores all things. Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected? 13 But I tell you, Elijah has come, and they have done to him everything they wished, just as it is written about him.”
So.... was John the Baptist really Elijah, come to restore all things?

OK... I binged, I Googled, and I hunted through commentary, including something in Greek, and I'm still confused. So, I have to say, I'm not supposed to understand it this morning. I guess when John the Baptist came before Jesus and started baptizing in the river, he was building the following for Jesus. He was also pointing out the horrible sexual immorality, murder, and mayhem that existed in the house of Herod.

I did find this, when I binged "what did Elijah do in the Bible?"

"Elijah was sent to deliver the message that Ahab and Jezebel would both die a humiliating death because of all the wicked deeds they refused to …"​
So, I guess Herod had it right? Was Herod right to be afraid? Was, John the Baptist really Elijah raised from the dead? One thing I am certain of, I think Herod would have pooped right down both legs had he been on the mountain that night.

I wonder if Herod would have apologized to Salome and Herodias.

Now... I'm not leaving the transfiguration out. Look who Jesus chose to take to the event. The Zebedee boys were there, James and John.... and look, it's Simon Peter. Well, I guess he believes what he said about Jesus being the Messiah now!!! He was there when God Himself said it. And.... this is the second time God has patted Jesus on the head and saying, "Well done My Son". First, He sent a dove at the Baptism and now He arrived in a cloud to give His Approval.

If Peter or either of the Zebedee brothers had any doubts about Jesus being the Son of God, they should be gone now.

Jesus needed three witnesses. Mark wrote what they told him about the event. He didn't see Jesus glow personally, but Mark [John Mark in Acts] heard the three witnesses give their accounts at one time or another.

There should no longer be doubt about Jesus! He's not the average Joe. He's not David or Solomon. He's the Son of God and God said so, not once but twice! [so far]

Would you say, Jesus received a glowing approval from His Dad for the job He had done so far?

God said, "good job Son!"

:coffee: