good lameness vet

swansong

I have not been in the area long. My experience with the local vets has not been very positive. They seem very expensive and not very knowledgable. There is probably a lot I don't understand about being a large animal vet so I should reserve judgement. Now I have a horse with an on again off again lameness. I don't want to have a vet out-- pay 70+ dollars for a farm visit-- plus any exams and x-rays, and have them tell me they don't know what is wrong. The last time I went through this, the vet told me to put shoes on a horse. There was no explantation as to what was wrong with the horse's feet, just "put shoes on because horses go better in shoes". Why would I put a horse who is standing in the field in shoes to make it not lame? I know all about barefoot horses and abscesses, hard dry ground etc. I guess what I am looking for is a referral to a vet who does real diagnosis, who is good at pinpointing and treating the real problem and not just making guesses at the most probable cause. I am thinking about going to Spurlocks in VA. I know they are very thorough. I would not go so far if there was someone closer. Thanks in advance for your response.

eventrder

Bad news is there is nothing closer, the vets down this way are a waste of time and money, my TB had an infection with a fever of 106 and they were trying to tell me he had a broken leg or a fracture, didnt know a broken bone caused a fever. to make aong story short I spent LESS money driving him up to Leeseburg than I did messing with the quacks down here. He was not even all the way off the trailer and they told me what it was. Leeseburg is great, Spurlock is too. The only vet I would mess with in the area is John Stott. But he is not local and he does not always come down this way I believe he is up in Ann Arundel somewhere but you might be able to trailer to him, he is wonderful! Very knowledgable. Hope everything works out for you and your horse!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Well, as much as I AM an advocate of barefoot horses there ARE times that shoes are needed for some horses to be sound. Some get sore soles and can be sound simply by adding shoes. Is your pasture hard? Rocky?

So besides all that locally (I'm not sure where you're located), I can reccommend Dr. Susan Mende. (410) 741-1473 wolfcreekequine@verizon.net

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Dr. Stott is a good choice. He has many clients in St. Mary's. You will, of course, have a farm call charge. He was a farrier before becoming a vet and does a lot of work w/ the tracks. 301-884-3231 The ground is like a rock, there are lots of sore horses out there because of it. Shoes may be your solution. Good Luck!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Dr. Stott is a good choice. He has many clients in St. Mary's. You will, of course, have a farm call charge. He was a farrier before becoming a vet and does a lot of work w/ the tracks. 301-884-3231 The ground is like a rock, there are lots of sore horses out there because of it. Shoes may be your solution. Good Luck!

:yeahthat:
With as dry as it has been several normally sound horses are getting a little tenderfooted. Dr Stott rocks...and he really cares about the animals, not just about making a bunch of money.
BUT...Isn't that Tidewaters #? I have 1-301-812-0315 for Dr Stott

W

WhoCares

I don't want to have a vet out-- pay 70+ dollars for a farm visit-- plus any exams and x-rays, and have them tell me they don't know what is wrong. The last time I went through this, the vet told me to put shoes on a horse. There was no explantation as to what was wrong with the horse's feet, just "put shoes on because horses go better in shoes".

Every vet is going to have a farm call charge. You could always take the horse up to Leesburg if you are unhappy with the responses of the local vets. However, that is going to cost a whole lot more than paying the farm call for a 2nd opinion, and getting shoes on the horse.

The ground is really hard this summer since there has been no rain. The horses stamp at flies, and the feet do take some pressure from that.

fredsaid2

:yeahthat:
With as dry as it has been several normally sound horses are getting a little tenderfooted. Dr Stott rocks...and he really cares about the animals, not just about making a bunch of money.
BUT...Isn't that Tidewaters #? I have 1-301-812-0315 for Dr Stott

Thanks for catching that! I typed in the wrong phone number. :howdy:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I hardly deal with Tidewater anymore, they just seem like they don't care..I use Molesworth. She is a great leg vet. She is one not to lead you on either...Her farm call is usually cheaper than the locals. I would give her a try before I would go to Leesburg etc. I also know a farrier that saved a horse of mine from being put down.He was so lame that I was ready to make the move but found this guy at the last moment. None of the farriers around here would/could help him. everything was shoes. He had a bad fugus in his hoof and the guy did a reconstruction and in about 3months I had a sound foot again...I can get his info if ya want it...He is located up in Frederick. He is well worth the trip....Good luck :howdy:

Robin

Dr Stott....Hes the bomb when it comes to legs on horses. He has alot of background dealing with these issues. He is very busy.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I hardly deal with Tidewater anymore, they just seem like they don't care..I use Molesworth. She is a great leg vet. She is one not to lead you on either...Her farm call is usually cheaper than the locals. I would give her a try before I would go to Leesburg etc.

I can also second Linda. She's been my vet for 11 years. She's coming out for fall shots and to preg test my mare next Thursday! Woo!

I used to work for Linda, and if you ever need stitches or staples she's your lady.

covekat

I will second or third Linda... that is who we use, she has a nice clinic, digital xray machine and has tons of experience with lameness issues. She is a tell it like it is vet...

Loper

Animal Poor!
I hardly deal with Tidewater anymore, they just seem like they don't care..I use Molesworth. She is a great leg vet. She is one not to lead you on either...Her farm call is usually cheaper than the locals. I would give her a try before I would go to Leesburg etc. I also know a farrier that saved a horse of mine from being put down.He was so lame that I was ready to make the move but found this guy at the last moment. None of the farriers around here would/could help him. everything was shoes. He had a bad fugus in his hoof and the guy did a reconstruction and in about 3months I had a sound foot again...I can get his info if ya want it...He is located up in Frederick. He is well worth the trip....Good luck :howdy:

I've always had GREAT results from Dr. Benedict at Tidewater. I've also used Dr. Stott for regular horse shots.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Dr. Stott. He's always been the best for me and my horses... I know he's always busy and you might not get a return call right away. But he's worth the wait. :) Good luck!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Bad news is there is nothing closer, the vets down this way are a waste of time and money, my TB had an infection with a fever of 106 and they were trying to tell me he had a broken leg or a fracture, didnt know a broken bone caused a fever. to make aong story short I spent LESS money driving him up to Leeseburg than I did messing with the quacks down here. He was not even all the way off the trailer and they told me what it was. Leeseburg is great, Spurlock is too. The only vet I would mess with in the area is John Stott. But he is not local and he does not always come down this way I believe he is up in Ann Arundel somewhere but you might be able to trailer to him, he is wonderful! Very knowledgable. Hope everything works out for you and your horse!

Stott rocks!:yay::yay:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Both Stott and Molesworth are the best leg vets around here. I go with Linda because Dr. Stott is hard to get sometimes...I knew Linda from when she worked at Rosecroft vetting pacers & trotters. So she's got plenty of experience with legs.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Both Stott and Molesworth are the best leg vets around here. I go with Linda because Dr. Stott is hard to get sometimes...I knew Linda from when she worked at Rosecroft vetting pacers & trotters. So she's got plenty of experience with legs.

Haha, yeah but saying so gets you red karma. :bigwhoop: I've never had a problem with her [Linda] and as I said, she's been my vet since '95.

Carefulone

It sounds like no one has even been sure it's a leg or foot problem, could be in the shoulder if it's in front, or stifel, wrong spelling, I'm sure, in the back, or up in the hip?
One of my working quarters went lame and the first response of the vet, no x-rays, was shoot him up in the hock with steroids....it was bad shoeing that time, the horse was only four and I felt a 2nd opinion would be good.... so get the best diagnostic vet you can....good luck, I'm in Ca.....not much help with a name.

swansong

The mare has been sore in her back since last winter but I kept hoping it would get better. I did have her to a vet in the spring. THe vet said she was asymptomatic in her feet and legs. She was out of alignment in her poll and neck and the vet worked on adjusting her. THat helped some but she is still not right. Now she also seems sore in her right front. I am taking her to Va tomorrow to Spurlocks. They have all the equipment to do good x-rays and can do a bone scan if they need to. Thanks to all for your help. I will let you know what they say.

swansong

Took the horse to spurlocks. She has a pull to the distal sesamoidear ligaments in her right front. THis is not good news but it is what I wanted to know. She has a 60% chance of recovering some use as a riding horse. They did shock wave therapy and we will go back for 2 more sessions of that. They x-rayed all her feet, her hocks, and her pasturns. Sadly everything else looks really clean. It would be so sad to have a horse that is so healthy in the rest of her limbs and be unridable because of these ligaments-- but this is life.