good lameness vet

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Took the horse to spurlocks. She has a pull to the distal sesamoidear ligaments in her right front. THis is not good news but it is what I wanted to know. She has a 60% chance of recovering some use as a riding horse. They did shock wave therapy and we will go back for 2 more sessions of that. They x-rayed all her feet, her hocks, and her pasturns. Sadly everything else looks really clean. It would be so sad to have a horse that is so healthy in the rest of her limbs and be unridable because of these ligaments-- but this is life.

Sorry to hear about your horses prognosis.:huggy: Sure hope she is in the 40% that make a recovery. Keep us posted on her progress.:howdy:

natbugs

with all the care you give I bet she will have a great recovery...you give them all they need and then some so she has a great shot!! good luck

Carefulone

Did they tell you stall rest? I've had good luck with ligament problems, my mare spent almost 10 months in her stall and after a while, the run of the barn, but nothing else.
They take time, but with your care....hopefully you'll have a great outcome.

swansong

They said the injury is not new but could not say how old it was. They said it was not new because there are changes in the bone surface around the ligaments. I guess that takes time. Wouldn't you know she got up there and was trotting pretty sound. At home you could see a distinct head bob and up there she it was almost non exsistent. Anyway he did not say stall rest, he said light work in good footing, walk, trot, which is what we were doing. I asked why there was never any obvious heat or swelling and he said because it is in the distal area (below and behind the pasturn joint), there is often very little sign of the injury if the horse is not lame. The only thing I have seen until about 3 weeks ago was extreme soreness in her back. The local vet could not find anything in her legs either when I had her vetted earlier this year. I will keep her moving a little and pray the shock wave helps. Thanks to all of you for your support. By the way they ultra sounded the area and that is when you could really see the damage. The x-rays localized the problem and the ultra sounded highlighted it. It was kind of an expensive (gulp) thing to do but now I know what is wrong, and if she does not get better I can make a decision to let her be a broodmare which I am sure would not hurt her feelings a bit.

W

WhoCares

The x-rays localized the problem and the ultra sounded highlighted it. It was kind of an expensive (gulp) thing to do but now I know what is wrong, and if she does not get better I can make a decision to let her be a broodmare which I am sure would not hurt her feelings a bit.

Glad that you have gotten some answers on her issues. I am sure she would LOVE to just have babies, and eat all day. :lmao:

Robin

Took the horse to spurlocks. She has a pull to the distal sesamoidear ligaments in her right front. THis is not good news but it is what I wanted to know. She has a 60% chance of recovering some use as a riding horse. They did shock wave therapy and we will go back for 2 more sessions of that. They x-rayed all her feet, her hocks, and her pasturns. Sadly everything else looks really clean. It would be so sad to have a horse that is so healthy in the rest of her limbs and be unridable because of these ligaments-- but this is life.
I am sorry, the good news is you know what you are dealing with and Dr Spurlock was able to give you more direct diagnosis. I just had my mare there for surgery 2 weeks ago, They are great folks. Dont give up on a career for your horse yet, he/she might surprise you.