Google Allows Scammer to Punk MalwareBytes

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
It's long been my opinion that Malwarebytes is the only security you need to purchase, beyond the stuff built into Windows 10.

Time to renew the license today. I can never remember the URL, so I always go to google and search for Malwarebytes to make sure I get to the legitimate site.

As is often typical, Malwarebytes paid text ad came up as the first result.

I usually click on the non-paid link immediately under the paid one; why should the company have to pay for a click to Google when that is what I was searching for in the first place. I didn't pay particular attention that the 2nd listing was also a paid ad. When I got there, I clicked on the link to download and immediate got a BLOCK page from the real Malwarebytes already installed on my PC warning that there was a virus attached to this link.

My first thought is, why is Malwarebytes blocking their own links? Then I noticed that is was a .work site. Ohhhhh, Nice. Google sold ads to a scammer. The ironic part of this is, that as an advertiser on Google ourselves, they just made us jump through hoops to verify that we were a real legitimate company before we could continue to advertise using their AdWords. (This is reportedly to combat ad fraud, and I suspect it has something to do with the election too.) Had to provide a scan of our corporate document, Tax IDs, and a scan of my photo ID. Well, when I scanned my license, it was up against the top of the scanner and maybe the top 1mm was cut off; but, this was just clear laminate and nothing was obscured. Google keeps kicking our verification back because of this. So, just to be stubborn, I kept resubmitting the same exact scan. Keep in mind that we're the freaking customers here.

While all this is going on, some Google employee with a deep Indian accent keeps calling and leaving voicemails (probably 8 or more) and emails saying that he was there to help us through the verification process. I picked up one time and decided to talk to him. I explained what happened and he just keeps going back to the speech about he was going to walk me through the simple process step-by-step. I said NO, I have submitted this 3 times, and I'm not doing it again. There is nothing wrong with the scan I sent in. He said, but, they've already disabled your ad serving. I said, I don't care. Frankly, Facebook was delivering better results anyway.

He called again I answered and repeated the above. A few more emails came. I thinks ads had been disabled for a month by now. Finally, one day I get an email saying we have passed the verification and the ads were running again. 😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

I guess they didn't give the scammers from malwarebytes (dot) work the same scrutiny.

Yes, I am one stubborn SOB.

P.S. I checked a few minutes ago and the .work ad is gone. Not sure if it got zapped or just wasn't being served to me anymore because I had already seen it or they surpassed their daily budget. I called Malwarebyte and left them a message as soon as I saw it.

Last edited: