Goose Hunters... Teach Me Something Here

somdshootnet

I have been in debates with someone about the laws of Non-Tox for waterfowl in the state of Maryland. There is no statements in any rule book that I know of that says you can not use lead in non-water hunting scenarios, like a field, which is nowhere near any water. Help me out here.

Do you have to use Non-Tox shot regardless if you are hunting waterfowl over water or not.

If you hunt Geese or Ducks over grass fields do you still have to use non-tox shot?

The reason for the discussion is old, but, the question is the same, Why do we have to use steel shot if we're not hunting over water?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I have been in debates with someone about the laws of Non-Tox for waterfowl in the state of Maryland. There is no statements in any rule book that I know of that says you can not use lead in non-water hunting scenarios, like a field, which is nowhere near any water. Help me out here.

Do you have to use Non-Tox shot regardless if you are hunting waterfowl over water or not.

If you hunt Geese or Ducks over grass fields do you still have to use non-tox shot?

The reason for the discussion is old, but, the question is the same, Why do we have to use steel shot if we're not hunting over water?
You have to use non-tox for all waterfowl regardless where you're hunting because the birds eat it. Has nothing to do with hunting over water.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
As Baja said-all waterfowl hunting is done with non-tox. That's a federal rule, by the way.

It does seem strange that you can hunt doves with lead and then 2 months later hunt geese from the same field but have to use non-tox, but those are the rules.

Some Mid-Western states are now requiring non-tox for upland hunting, too. Some research is showing lead poisoning problems in pheasant, quail and other upland birds. They pick it up like they do small stones to grind food in their crops.

Also, when the rabbit cops check you they look at three things especially:
1) You have the right license/stamps (in MD you need both the Federal and the State waterfowl stamps)
2) your shotgun is plugged to 3 shot max
3) you have non-tox shells only. Some guys have been cited just for having lead shells in their vehicle. They couldn't prove they didn't take it in the field with them.

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
fact in NY they do not sell lead weights but you can use them if you buy them out of state and bring them in (for fishing)

somdshootnet

As Baja said-all waterfowl hunting is done with non-tox. That's a federal rule, by the way.

It does seem strange that you can hunt doves with lead and then 2 months later hunt geese from the same field but have to use non-tox, but those are the rules.

Some Mid-Western states are now requiring non-tox for upland hunting, too. Some research is showing lead poisoning problems in pheasant, quail and other upland birds. They pick it up like they do small stones to grind food in their crops.

1) You have the right license/stamps (in MD you need both the Federal and the State waterfowl stamps)
2) your shotgun is plugged to 3 shot max Unless they are Resident Canada Geese
3) you have non-tox shells only. Some guys have been cited just for having lead shells in their vehicle. They couldn't prove they didn't take it in the field with them.

I got everything I need.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso

2) your shotgun is plugged to 3 shot max Unless they are Resident Canada Geese

by somdshootnet: I got everything I need.

Not to stir things up or anything but if you are hunting in one of the local hunting areas, how do you know if they are "Resident Geese"? I mean, the things fly around so how do you know for sure where they are from? It's not like they carry passports or resident alien documents and let you inspect them whenever you ask (unless, of course, they're Arizona geese!:lmao:).

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The Resident Goose season is 2 weeks in Sept. when you can unplug your shotgun and you can shoot 8 per day. The later seasons are considered Atlantic Population migrants and you only could get 2 per day (this year's regs aren't set yet). In Charles west of 301 you still had the higher bag limit in prior years, that hasn't been set yet for this year.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

I am not sure just what the regs tell you about using lead shot, but please dont.
I have rescued a good number of sick birds suffering from lead poisoning. and the numbers nations wide are pretty high!
Eagles eat on dead animals and injest the lead..it is ground up in the crop and absorbed into the body...over time the lead levels rise and they get sick and die. It is the same with owls, hawks, geese, swans, ducks....the later are "dabblers" and injest the lead shot from the bottom of ponds, creeks, marshes, etc, and it gets ground up in the crop.

Lead poisoning is a horrible way to die for any animal. The cost to treat and rescue these birds is high..many do survive to be released back to the wild.
There is still so much lead left out there from the decades of hunting...please dont add more.

If you as a hunter have a choice..please use non toxic shot.

There is a lot of info on the web about this ..and here is one site that will give you more info; Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative

Thank you.....:buddies:

somdshootnet

Well, I just bought 2 boxes of the 3" and a box of the 3.5" from Able's. I am not going to run all over Southern Maryland looking for something that does not exist around here. and I'm not paying Fred's $30.00 a box for the cheapest thing they have. So, the Able's investment with shipping was $56.00

The problem here in Southern Maryland is we have nothing but these little "hole in the wall" ammo shops who want to charge 200% markup and only carry 2 types of steel shot shells, so, if I have to order a box of something for $12.55 /25 rather then buy something locally for $30.00 /25 I'm all about it. I figured the $14.00 shipping was cheaper then the $25.00 in gas I would burn to go somewhere to buy a box or 2, Plus I get what I'm looking for instead of having to buy what they have.

I appreciate the feedback on the Estate ammo, this Goose hunting thing is not a major undertaking for me and my buddy, more like a cheap thrill, we're not looking to pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into and I'm not going to pull my hair out trying to find legal steel shot just to play legal law games with DNR.

somdshootnet

I am not sure just what the regs tell you about using lead shot, but please dont.
I have rescued a good number of sick birds suffering from lead poisoning. and the numbers nations wide are pretty high!
Eagles eat on dead animals and injest the lead..it is ground up in the crop and absorbed into the body...over time the lead levels rise and they get sick and die. It is the same with owls, hawks, geese, swans, ducks....the later are "dabblers" and injest the lead shot from the bottom of ponds, creeks, marshes, etc, and it gets ground up in the crop.

Lead poisoning is a horrible way to die for any animal. The cost to treat and rescue these birds is high..many do survive to be released back to the wild.
There is still so much lead left out there from the decades of hunting...please dont add more.

If you as a hunter have a choice..please use non toxic shot.

There is a lot of info on the web about this ..and here is one site that will give you more info; Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative

Thank you.....:buddies:

LOL don't you worry about a thing. I have so much more higher hunting moral standards than most in the SOMD area.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Well, I just bought 2 boxes of the 3" and a box of the 3.5" from Able's. I am not going to run all over Southern Maryland looking for something that does not exist around here. and I'm not paying Fred's $30.00 a box for the cheapest thing they have. So, the Able's investment with shipping was $56.00

The problem here in Southern Maryland is we have nothing but these little "hole in the wall" ammo shops who want to charge 200% markup and only carry 2 types of steel shot shells, so, if I have to order a box of something for $12.55 /25 rather then buy something locally for $30.00 /25 I'm all about it. I figured the $14.00 shipping was cheaper then the $25.00 in gas I would burn to go somewhere to buy a box or 2, Plus I get what I'm looking for instead of having to buy what they have.

I appreciate the feedback on the Estate ammo, this Goose hunting thing is not a major undertaking for me and my buddy, more like a cheap thrill, we're not looking to pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into and I'm not going to pull my hair out trying to find legal steel shot just to play legal law games with DNR.

If this is how you feel about things, please be kind enough to post where & when you will be hunting so hubby can be sure to hunt elsewhere that day.

(My grandpappy was a game warden back in the day...:whistle:)

somdshootnet

Not to stir things up or anything but if you are hunting in one of the local hunting areas, how do you know if they are "Resident Geese"? I mean, the things fly around so how do you know for sure where they are from? It's not like they carry passports or resident alien documents and let you inspect them whenever you ask (unless, of course, they're Arizona geese!:lmao:).

If you would not make stupid comments and pay closer attention while you're setting in the fields twiddling your thumbs you would probably be able to notice the maryland flags stamped on the underside of each wing as the flap to maintain altitude :killingme

somdshootnet

If this is how you feel about things, please be kind enough to post where & when you will be hunting so hubby can be sure to hunt elsewhere that day.

(My grandpappy was a game warden back in the day...:whistle:)

What? You make no sense, go away. LOL I'm assuming you're too immature to understand the meaning of cheap thrill, but, it's ok. And I don't really care that pappy was a warden. And your hubby will be fine He's not allowed on my private 1200 acres anyway.

Additional General Data:
If you can not follow the conversation to the point where the phrase" cheap thrill" came in, and know that's what got you hot under the collar... stay the hell out of it. The problem is you jumped on something that you half read without first understanding what you read. It's folks like you that can screw up a thread, but, this the somd.com forums, so we expect these types of replies.

PS: some men hunt for a reason, they are married.

Last edited:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
What? You make no sense, go away. LOL I'm assuming you're too immature to understand the meaning of cheap thrill, but, it's ok. And I don't really care that pappy was a warden. And you hubby will be fine He's not allowed on my 1200 acres anyway.

And here I was sitting here telling hubby to give you a break and that you weren't really the kind of azzhole that you seemed to be. Guess that'll teach me!

:killingme

Guess I'll be hearing about you in the scanner thread at some point...

somdshootnet

And here I was sitting here telling hubby to give you a break and that you weren't really the kind of azzhole that you seemed to be. Guess that'll teach me!

:killingme

Guess I'll be hearing about you in the scanner thread at some point...

I'm not an ####### by any means, but, I am not one to stand down to people who don't understand the conversation either LOL.

somdshootnet

Now with that out of the way. To everyone who something intelligent to reply with, thanks again and I appreciate it. I'm done here.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
What? You make no sense, go away. LOL I'm assuming you're too immature to understand the meaning of cheap thrill, but, it's ok. And I don't really care that pappy was a warden. And your hubby will be fine He's not allowed on my private 1200 acres anyway.

Additional General Data:
If you can not follow the conversation to the point where the phrase" cheap thrill" came in, and know that's what got you hot under the collar... stay the hell out of it. The problem is you jumped on something that you half read without first understanding what you read. It's folks like you that can screw up a thread, but, this the somd.com forums, so we expect these types of replies.

PS: some men hunt for a reason, they are married.

hope you don't over-react & jump to conclusions like this out in the field, you might be dangerous to things other than geese... :rolleyes:

You're awful defensive here, wonder why?

Try to follow the rules while you're out there in public hunting lands so everybody, including you, stays safe while you're out there in search of your cheap thrills.

Last edited:

somdshootnet

hope you don't over-react & jump to conclusions like this out in the field, you might be dangerous to things other than geese... :rolleyes:

You're awful defensive here, wonder why?

Try to follow the rules while you're out there in public hunting lands so everybody, including you, stays safe while you're out there in search of your cheap thrills.

Public hunting lands LOL I'd sell everything I own if it came to me having to hunt on public land during specific seasons. I've seen what kind of screw balls can show up in those woods.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

It is not about playing legal games with DNR,,it is about doing the right thing and not adding to the lead and other toxic trash that is out there.
It is about being humane and not letting an animal suffer horribly and die from lead poisoning.
I just hope that any children you have or might have, never get sick from toxins people still put out there in out enviroment because they are too cheap to buy something better.
God bless you and yours.:howdy: