Goose Hunters... Teach Me Something Here

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Well, I just bought 2 boxes of the 3" and a box of the 3.5" from Able's. I am not going to run all over Southern Maryland looking for something that does not exist around here. and I'm not paying Fred's $30.00 a box for the cheapest thing they have. So, the Able's investment with shipping was $56.00

The problem here in Southern Maryland is we have nothing but these little "hole in the wall" ammo shops who want to charge 200% markup and only carry 2 types of steel shot shells, so, if I have to order a box of something for $12.55 /25 rather then buy something locally for $30.00 /25 I'm all about it. I figured the $14.00 shipping was cheaper then the $25.00 in gas I would burn to go somewhere to buy a box or 2, Plus I get what I'm looking for instead of having to buy what they have.

I appreciate the feedback on the Estate ammo, this Goose hunting thing is not a major undertaking for me and my buddy, more like a cheap thrill, we're not looking to pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into and I'm not going to pull my hair out trying to find legal steel shot just to play legal law games with DNR.
I'm no dummy but would you mind clarifying this post? Are you saying you'll use lead to hunt waterfowl here?

somdshootnet

It is not about playing legal games with DNR,,it is about doing the right thing and not adding to the lead and other toxic trash that is out there.
It is about being humane and not letting an animal suffer horribly and die from lead poisoning.
I just hope that any children you have or might have, never get sick from toxins people still put out there in out enviroment because they are too cheap to buy something better.
God bless you and yours.:howdy:

In a direct way it is about playing a legal game with DNR. The whole steel shot issue started because of the green peace tree huggers and dumb dumbs with PETA thinking "hey, that lead is killing our birds" or something to that effect, it's just another round-about way of trying to knock back something that hunters do. This is an epic example.

There's a lot more to it than just plain lead / steel laws. As far as kids getting lead poisoning from bird shot... with the crap in our waters now, lead shot is the least of my worries, just ask the oysters in the Chesapeake. I'm more concerned with the toys coming from China then I am the lead content in my water.

If anyone wishes to debate lead in water, let's debate something more serious like the lumps of fishing sinkers laying in EVERY body of water instead of the little bit of shot shell lead laying in specific bodies of water. The lines are fuzzy on this issue anyway, so, don't overthink or overanylize what I'm saying.

somdshootnet

I'm no dummy but would you mind clarifying this post? Are you saying you'll use lead to hunt waterfowl here?

To clarify the post. I was asking for suggestions on types of STEEL shot to use that is effective but not extremely expensive. I was asking for cheaper STEEL shot alternatives. It has nothing to do with lead shot, we are beyond that issue. I'm still looking for answers to the original questions regarding STEEL shot, but, everybody wants to bash me for using lead shot when I have no intentions of doing so. I don't think the idea of steel over lead is legitimate, but, I don't make the rules, I just follow them. I am just trying to find a cheaper way to follow the rules, can anyone grasp this?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
To clarify the post. I was asking for suggestions on types of STEEL shot to use that is effective but not extremely expensive. I was asking for cheaper STEEL shot alternatives. It has nothing to do with lead shot, we are beyond that issue. I'm still looking for answers to the original questions regarding STEEL shot, but, everybody wants to bash me for using lead shot when I have no intentions of doing so. I don't think the idea of steel over lead is legitimate, but, I don't make the rules, I just follow them. I am just trying to find a cheaper way to follow the rules, can anyone grasp this?
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you abide by the laws. :yay:

I haven't hunted in over 12 years but I know the reason for the steel is the birds eat shot and would get lead poison so they went to steel in the late 80's.

As far as prices I can't help since I haven't hunted in so long.

somdshootnet

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you abide by the laws. :yay:

I haven't hunted in over 12 years but I know the reason for the steel is the birds eat shot and would get lead poison so they went to steel in the late 80's.

As far as prices I can't help since I haven't hunted in so long.

No problem, glad I could clean that for you LOL. As like yourself, I hunt Crow from August 15th until the end of Spring Turkey season, but, goose and duck have not been on the agenda for years. All I'm trying to do is find a cheaper alternative in Steel shot to go waterfowling again, but, I can not get past the side-tracking posters in this thread who read a small section of something and then take the thread in their own direction while missing the point the entire time.

As for following the rules. I follow them too well actually, I buy permits and licenses that I don't even need, just in case I decided to hunt somewhere other than the farm. I just dished out over $100.00 for me, my wife and my nephew so we'd all be legal eagles. Hell, I buy range permits for Myrtle Grove for both my wife and I just so I don't have to screw up the farm with target shooting while trying to keep the deer and turkey around, that's another $40.00 investment I don't have to make, but, I do.

somdshootnet

Like i said before I got my answers I was looking for in the original questions. The best % of the intelligent answers came from the guys who sent me PMs to avoid the silliness of others in this thread. I appreciate the PM's too, extremely helpful members there. Thanks again and have a great day.