Got pulled over by state police

sommpd

In Georgetown they walked a beat. Backed up by cars. At the end of their shift they would commute home, or since they were my friends, they would stop by for a night cap wherever I was working.
Riiiight....and before they became police officers they were locked away in Amish Country so they never saw this new fangled thing called traffic. Sure, I believe you.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I have a question for you. Yesterday, I arrested a guy who had committed a horrific crime. Can you explain if this was necessary for this guy to do this? I understand he is not a police officer and since you are not a police officer I am going to lump you into his category, just as you assumed I would know why some cop was driving in a manner you deemed reckless. Isn't that silly instead of just taking the person as an individual instead of figuring you would know what he is doing because you are in the same category as him.

I don't demand you obey any law. If I catch you breaking the law which is a felony, I will arrest you. If you are breaking a law which is a misdemeanor, I may issue you a summons, or take other corrective measures.

Thanks for your respect.

Okay, apparently you either completely ignored or missed the part where I stated that I typically defend what police do where others are ready to draw the hatchet. I know the tough job you folks have. And I know the pressure you’re under. It wasn’t my intent to elicit a sarcastic retort with a like question.

Now, I suppose you are going to tell me you have never done this? Gotten in that left lane and zipped at 85 – 90 in a 55, gotten on someone’s tail to get them out of your way. Please tell me you are the exception. If you are going to tell you have never done this then I will leave it at that. But if you tell you have, then my question still stands and I would like an answer. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I just wanted a simple answer as to why cops feel they are exempt from certain traffic laws. What this cop did was very dangerous, in my mind, and because he wears a badge and drives a police car doesn’t allow him the leverage to drive in a way that puts my family and me in danger. A simple answer from someone who wears a badge is all I was looking for. I, as a taxpayer, write your paycheck and I deserve to understand why these things occur. If you had provided a logical answer I probably would have said “okay” and left it at that. But it wasn’t that simple for you. You have to understand that your reply only exacerbates the negative feelings people have for our fine police.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Okay, apparently you either completely ignored or missed the part where I stated that I typically defend what police do where others are ready to draw the hatchet. I know the tough job you folks have. And I know the pressure you’re under. It wasn’t my intent to elicit a sarcastic retort with a like question.

Now, I suppose you are going to tell me you have never done this? Gotten in that left lane and zipped at 85 – 90 in a 55, gotten on someone’s tail to get them out of your way. Please tell me you are the exception. If you are going to tell you have never done this then I will leave it at that. But if you tell you have, then my question still stands and I would like an answer. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I just wanted a simple answer as to why cops feel they are exempt from certain traffic laws. What this cop did was very dangerous, in my mind, and because he wears a badge and drives a police car doesn’t allow him the leverage to drive in a way that puts my family and me in danger. A simple answer from someone who wears a badge is all I was looking for. I, as a taxpayer, write your paycheck and I deserve to understand why these things occur. If you had provided a logical answer I probably would have said “okay” and left it at that. But it wasn’t that simple for you. You have to understand that your reply only exacerbates the negative feelings people have for our fine police.

The cop may of been going to a bank or store robbery they have special training that allows them to drive as fast as they want this comes with the benefit package when the join the force and it's not going to change so just accept it as it is and like the cops say deal with it.

sommpd

You asked me a question about someone doing something I have never done. Why would I know why this guy is doing this? I wasn't there. You are lumping all police officers into the category of this one police officer.

Why not realize that we are individuals. We have faults like everyone else. But you take this one instance, and make an assumption that we all do this. Really, does that make any sense to you at all? I tried to demonstrate the idiocy of your question, by sending the same question back. Now you want to tell me how I am exacerbating negative feelings for fine police. I suppose if I said you are exacerbating the negative feelings I have for dumb people you would be offended, so I won't.

As far as paying my paycheck. Is there an industry in this fine country where we are self sufficient and everyone else pays our paychecks. I put my profession out here, what is yours? I suspect I have contributed to your salary as well!

Thank you and have a nice day!

PsyOps

Pixelated
You asked me a question about someone doing something I have never done. Why would I know why this guy is doing this? I wasn't there. You are lumping all police officers into the category of this one police officer.

My question was intended as more general. You guys are a fraternity. You don’t work in a vacuum. I’m quite sure you know who these types are; the flagrant violaters. I thought maybe you could give us some insight on what makes some of these guys tick. Guess not.

Why not realize that we are individuals. We have faults like everyone else. But you take this one instance, and make an assumption that we all do this. Really, does that make any sense to you at all? I tried to demonstrate the idiocy of your question, by sending the same question back. Now you want to tell me how I am exacerbating negative feelings for fine police. I suppose if I said you are exacerbating the negative feelings I have for dumb people you would be offended, so I won't.

This is not one instance. I have a 45 minute commute up and down rt 4 every day. I frequent the beltway. So I get to see police cars often and can tell you it’s an extremely rare instance that any of them are driving in a manner that is expected of the ordinary citizen driver. The speeding doesn’t bother me and people should get out of their way. We just don’t know what the circumstances are.

As far as paying my paycheck. Is there an industry in this fine country where we are self sufficient and everyone else pays our paychecks. I put my profession out here, what is yours? I suspect I have contributed to your salary as well!

I work for the government as a contractor. So, in a way, you do write my paycheck. And I think you would want to know you are getting your money’s worth. As a tax-payer, I think I deserve to know the answers to these things. What compels a cop to think he can ride on my tail in a way that he knows any other driver would get a ticket for? You don’t have the answer… I’m finding that a little hard to believe short of there is no acceptable answer. I guess we’ll just leave it at that.

Let me lastly say that I pray for you guys often because I know how tough your job is. You’re under-paid and under-appreciated. So please don’t take my questions as a lack of appreciation for what you do.

sommpd

My question was intended as more general. You guys are a fraternity. You don’t work in a vacuum. I’m quite sure you know who these types are; the flagrant violaters. I thought maybe you could give us some insight on what makes some of these guys tick. Guess not.

We are a fraternity, but that doesn't mean we condone or accept when one of us does something wrong. As a matter of fact I am apaulled when I read that one of my brothers or sisters has violated the law, or intimidated someone else just because they can.

This is not one instance. I have a 45 minute commute up and down rt 4 every day. I frequent the beltway. So I get to see police cars often and can tell you it’s an extremely rare instance that any of them are driving in a manner that is expected of the ordinary citizen driver. The speeding doesn’t bother me and people should get out of their way. We just don’t know what the circumstances are.

Ok, but you expect me to know why someone would do this, and I tried pointing out that you shouldn't lump us into one category just because we do the same job. In every industry under the sun, there are good and bad. Nice and mean. Happy and sad. etc...

I work for the government as a contractor. So, in a way, you do write my paycheck. And I think you would want to know you are getting your money’s worth. As a tax-payer, I think I deserve to know the answers to these things. What compels a cop to think he can ride on my tail in a way that he knows any other driver would get a ticket for? You don’t have the answer… I’m finding that a little hard to believe short of there is no acceptable answer. I guess we’ll just leave it at that.

And with me as an individual, I gaurantee you are getting your money's worth and then some. If I could show you the things I have done for the county I work in, along with the people I have taken off of the streets, like so many of my brothers and sisters, you would agree that we are doing the best we can with the resources we have! As far as deserving an answer, I agree. But don't assume just because I do the same job, I would understand the cop any more than you!

Let me lastly say that I pray for you guys often because I know how tough your job is. You’re under-paid and under-appreciated. So please don’t take my questions as a lack of appreciation for what you do.

I appreciate your comments, but please don't assume we are all one in the same because we dress alike.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I appreciate your comments, but please don't assume we are all one in the same because we dress alike.

This gets to the crux of the point I’m really trying to make. Because of the media the police are getting a bum rap. Now all of you are under extreme scrutiny. When a few cops get out of hand with their fists, feet, clubs, tasers, etc… it reflects poorly on all of you. It’s a growing belief that you are all bad guys that aren’t interested in standing above the rest when it comes to the law. And when one of you commits the simplest of infractions, combined with everything else we are being fed, a growing distrust is brewing with the people. With this reality in mind I would think as a fraternity you would be talking amongst yourselves to stop the madness and start doing it better, as a collective.

sommpd

This gets to the crux of the point I’m really trying to make. Because of the media the police are getting a bum rap. Now all of you are under extreme scrutiny. When a few cops get out of hand with their fists, feet, clubs, tasers, etc… it reflects poorly on all of you. It’s a growing belief that you are all bad guys that aren’t interested in standing above the rest when it comes to the law. And when one of you commits the simplest of infractions, combined with everything else we are being fed, a growing distrust is brewing with the people. With this reality in mind I would think as a fraternity you would be talking amongst yourselves to stop the madness and start doing it better, as a collective.
Well come on. Nobody I know would ever think to abuse a prisoner, or someone who is about to be a prisoner, so there is no reason to "talk" about these things. As far as some guy tailgaiting a driver, well how would that topic come up?

When people call the police, generally they are in crisis. Sometimes, it is a call that would not require a code response. Sometimes, cops respond quickly disobeying the speed limit because we know you want us there now!

I am not saying we are perfect, but I can't account for every cop who might break a traffic law, just as you can't account for every contractor who might break a traffic law.

I have arrested government contractors and employees for the following violations; Driving while suspended, DWI, Domestic Violence, Child Molsestation, Sex Offenses, Assault in various degrees, theft, burglary, and murder. I don't expect that you would have talked to any of your peers about these things, nor do I expect you could have prevented them.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well come on. Nobody I know would ever think to abuse a prisoner, or someone who is about to be a prisoner, so there is no reason to "talk" about these things. As far as some guy tailgaiting a driver, well how would that topic come up?

I’m not talking about prisoners, but I get your point. You guys work in a vacuum. You don’t discuss the PR problems you’re having and try to find ways to settle the public down. The public views you guys as a bunch of thugs, ready to club, kick, or tase at a drop of a dime. Are you telling me after one of those incidents we view over and over on the news of 4 or 5 cops beating the crap out of a suspect that you don’t sit down and discuss “now how could we do this better” or "we need to avoid this happening with us"? You don’t sit down as a team and talk about the message you're sending when you have certain cops driving recklessly? No talks from your chief that says “if I get one more call from someone complaining about your driving, there’ll be suspensions”? You guy just go independently a long your way, no discussion about it, nothing?

When people call the police, generally they are in crisis. Sometimes, it is a call that would not require a code response. Sometimes, cops respond quickly disobeying the speed limit because we know you want us there now!

Well now, finally you answered my question. Are there circumstances where you have to respond to situations that require you to speed but not use your lights? I mean if this officer was going to such an emergency how would I know so I could get out of his way? It was dark and I couldn’t tell it was a police car until he got past me.

I am not saying we are perfect, but I can't account for every cop who might break a traffic law, just as you can't account for every contractor who might break a traffic law.

I’m not implying you are perfect. This wasn’t a case of making a simple mistake. This officer was consciously and deliberately driving dangerously. As a civilian, I’m not expected to be held to a higher standard when it comes to the law. You guys are. And every time something like this happens it just feeds the negative public sentiment about you guys. I'm trying to point out that this is about the public's perception of you guys.

I have arrested government contractors and employees for the following violations; Driving while suspended, DWI, Domestic Violence, Child Molestation, Sex Offenses, Assault in various degrees, theft, burglary, and murder. I don't expect that you would have talked to any of your peers about these things, nor do I expect you could have prevented them.

What I do doesn’t affect the public in a way that your job does. When I get on the road no one says, “will you look at how fast that contractor is driving”. But, I work with a girl that openly admits she speeds, sometimes doing near 100 mph. I constantly remind her how dumb this is and she should really consider the consequences. She is young and thinks nothing bad will happen to her. I don’t pretend that I have no responsibility in this as a co-worker and a friend. I would be doing her and everyone that drives around her an injustice by just turning my back and telling myself it’s none of my business or there’s nothing I can do about it. I don’t want to be the one (with my family in tow) that ends up as the target of her bad driving. So I do say something to her. That’s what a responsible person does; a person that cares about her and the people around her.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Actually, they (local police) have very little training that allows them to drive safely at high speeds. They are no safer than the regular schmoe when driving at the speeds PsyOps indicated.

The cop may of been going to a bank or store robbery they have special training that allows them to drive as fast as they want this comes with the benefit package when the join the force and it's not going to change so just accept it as it is and like the cops say deal with it.

Last edited:

General Lee

I, as a taxpayer, write your paycheck and I deserve to understand why these things occur.

Wrong. You do not write the paychecks to the police. Because you claim to be a taxpayer does not grant you the right to feel to pay their salaries. Your taxes are distributed into the general fund and are distributed as needed just like everyone else's taxes.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
I was told that it was basically an auto x in a parking lot. Teaching basic "lower" speed driving maneuvering. My conversations took place a few years ago. Would one of the police officers on here elaborate or update what I was told?

What exactly does it teach? I mean, I know they need to learn how to perform a PIT, but what specific training do they recieve in other regards?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I was told that it was basically an auto x in a parking lot. Teaching basic "lower" speed driving maneuvering. My conversations took place a few years ago. Would one of the police officers on here elaborate or update what I was told?

Yeah, I'd love to hear what they actually do. I just picture a bunch of cops standing around in a huge parking lot with orange cones everywhere and they take turns driving through the "track" :lol:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Wrong. You do not write the paychecks to the police. Because you claim to be a taxpayer does not grant you the right to feel to pay their salaries. Your taxes are distributed into the general fund and are distributed as needed just like everyone else's taxes.

Regardless of how the taxes are collected and divied up, the police force is funded from tax-payer dollars. And from another angle laws are written by our representatives. We, the tax-payers, elect and pay these representatives. Police enforce these laws. So, in every way, shape, and form the tax-payers are entitled to ask these questions and we are entitled to know the answers.