Governor Hogan’s popularity soars......

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
He’s doing his thing as a moderate in left leaning state. He will get the nod for a 2nd term because he has done enough positive as basically a neutral to shore him up. Not sure about a 2020 run though I’d like to see him unseat VanHollen personally then make the big move. The real battle now is the gerrymandering and dem control of the GA.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Hogan is one of the best politicians I have ever seen to do well in Maryland. I am shocked the dems have not resorted to saying because he had cancer he is weak or something...because that is really how bad their game is. Right now he is in the same place Chris Christie was 4 years ago...hugely popular and about to win a 2nd term in a democratic state.

The said his biggest worries the next two years will be...
- Survive the biggest attack he has ever seen from the Dems. They underestimated him last time around...not so much now. Better hope no skeletons in the closet
- Not get cocky. Do what he has been...play to basic citizen needs, not controversial issues.
- Not get caught up in a bidgegate mess.
- Deciding if running against Trump (if he is up for reelection is worth it). It will be hard because IF Trump runs again, his presence on the ballot will motivate the democratic base in a way I think even Obama could not.

As it stands today, the only ammo the Dems have against Hogan is Trump.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Whom he did not support or vote for.........

......and have you seen the Democratic slate........what a mess

Agree although I don't know much about BoCo Exec Kevin Kamenetz. I'm thinking Frosh is waiting to run for Gov in 2022

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Agree although I don't know much about BoCo Exec Kevin Kamenetz. I'm thinking Frosh is waiting to run for Gov in 2022

Frosh is 71. He missed his chance.

I'm going to be a turd in the punch bowl here and remind everyone that at this point in 2006 Bob Ehrlich was posting 60%+ approval ratings. He lost to O'Malley, who ran against George W. Bush and not Ehrlich, that November.

I think you'll end up seeing Rushern Baker be the Democratic nominee. He'll be a better campaigner than Anthony Brown was.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm going to be a turd in the punch bowl here and remind everyone that at this point in 2006 Bob Ehrlich was posting 60%+ approval ratings. He lost to O'Malley, who ran against George W. Bush and not Ehrlich, that November.

I think you'll end up seeing Rushern Baker be the Democratic nominee. He'll be a better campaigner than Anthony Brown was.

I think there is a chance that 2006 repeats itself.

I expect the Dem primary to be ugly, especially if the WaPo endorses Baker and the Sun to endorses Kamenetz. (Do those endorsements really mean that much anymore?)

kom526

I clicked on link from DGA last night titled "Hogan's Broken Promises" and it placed the decision of Discovery Communications, and its 1300 jobs, leaving Silver Spring squarely on his doorstep. I'm pretty sure that it would take me about 3 minutes to figure that in time that Hogan has been Governor Maryland has added more jobs and increased more than enough revenue to offset those 1300 jobs. As far as the DEM candidates, I'd have to agree that Rushern Baker will get the nod. Ben Jealous is too far out of the spotlight as the national head of the NAACP and his platform is anti everything. Rich Madeleno is a current state senator from MoCo where he lives with his 'husband' and has never seen a tax hike that he didn't like think "Rain Tax" and he proposed legislation to tax poultry companies .05 per bird that they sold to MD poultry farmers. Kevin Kamenetz had a public pissing contest with Hogan last year regarding A/C in BalCo schools. Seems that Mr. Kamenetz was redirecting the monies earmarked for school maintenace was being funneled not the schools, but the school systems. The only other one I've heard of is Krishanti Vignarajah and according to www.redmaryland.com she is ineligible to take office.

DEM Candidates per Ballotopedia
https://ballotpedia.org/Maryland_gu...l_election,_2018_(June_26_Democratic_primary)

There are a couple of items this session that are of interest (to me) HB 136 (The Library Board Brouhaha Bill) and HB518 and HB1052 Which basically eradicate small and craft breweries in MD. Hey Dems, there is your 1300 jobs that Discovery took out of state.

kom526

Anthony was just waiting for his coronation, no need to campaign. Much like 2016 for another entitled one. I think the sliminess of PG will keep Baker in check on the state level, especially the grade fixing thing and his initial disapproval of the Hogan's recommended Education oversight committee.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-ne...s-grade-fixing-scandal-who-knew-what-and-when
https://wtop.com/prince-georges-cou...-for-change-at-prince-georges-county-schools/

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Anthony was just waiting for his coronation, no need to campaign. Much like 2016 for another entitled one. I think the sliminess of PG will keep Baker in check on the state level, especially the grade fixing thing and his initial disapproval of the Hogan's recommended Education oversight committee.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-ne...s-grade-fixing-scandal-who-knew-what-and-when
https://wtop.com/prince-georges-cou...-for-change-at-prince-georges-county-schools/

Prince George's was, arguably, slimier when Glendenning ran and he got two terms coming out of being County Executive. Besides, Baker will not hesitate for a second to throw the Magic White Man Superintendent under the nearest bus if push comes to shove.

Pro Tip:
Grade changing in PG County schools didn't just start, it's been endemic since they adopted a 2.0 rule for athletes in the mid-1980s.

ltown81

Exactly. Anyone who things a Hogan 2nd term is a shoe in forgets how many democrats reside in the 4 counties that matter. It is simply whether the come to the polls. Baker is very popular in PG.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Dem Primary

I find this interesting. The FreeStater Blog is reporting that the Baltimore/Washington Laborers District Council of Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA) has endorsed state Senator Rich Madaleno for Governor in the upcoming Dem primary.

I didn't know who this guy was, but he appears to be winning the straw polls after Dem candidate forums. Anyone think additional labor union endorsements could swing the Dem vote away from the big three (Baker, Kamenetz, and Jealous)?