Grand Canyon - any tips?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm starting to feel about the Grand Canyon area like I felt about the Rapid City, SD area before our first leg out west. We got a South Dakota travel guide in the mail. It showed all the awesome sights and things to do. I couldn't wait to take some of those drives out west along the mountains and badlands.

I have no doubt that we will find lots of amazing things to see and do in that region.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I went with my dad about 15 years ago, we were limited on what we could do based on time (I only had 2 or 3 days in AZ) and his health (quintuple bypass surgery). He made the arrangements and we stayed at a time-share in Sedona that was amazing! Loved Sedona and lots to do and see there. He booked us on a guided tour called "Way of The Ancients" that picked us up in a van where we were staying and off to the Grand Canyon we went. The driver and tour guide was Native American and kept up a running commentary about the area and history.

Dropped off at the visitor's center and watched the National Geographic IMAX movie which was WOW! Toured several overlooks with a stop at the cafeteria in the village for lunch. All were amazing vistas. Went to the top of the Desert View Watchtower.

Last part of the tour was going through the Navajo Nation Reservation to the Cameron Trading Post, which was probably an hour or less east of the GC. A bit of a tourist trap but huge and welcoming. Lots of gifts to buy and artwork to look at, plus artisans on site crafting their wares.

One thing to mention is weather at the GC is MUCH different than Sedona much less Phoenix. Left 90 degree temps in Phoenix, Sedona was in the 70s, and there was snow on the rim at the GC - and this was in April! I packed for San Diego and Phoenix, so it was a bit disconcerting to have to put on socks and a jacket at the GC.

On the way back to Phoenix, Dad decided to visit Jerome - an old copper mining town. Very interesting history and now has morphed into some sort of artists colony. Very neat place and enjoyed meandering through the museum then the town.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When I went with my dad about 15 years ago, we were limited on what we could do based on time (I only had 2 or 3 days in AZ) and his health (quintuple bypass surgery). He made the arrangements and we stayed at a time-share in Sedona that was amazing! Loved Sedona and lots to do and see there. He booked us on a guided tour called "Way of The Anicients" that picked us up in a van where we were staying and off to the Grand Canyon we went. The driver and tour guide was Native American and kept up a running commentary about the area and history.

Dropped off at the visitor's center and watched the National Geographic IMAX movie which was WOW! Toured several overlooks with a stop at the cafeteria in the village for lunch. All were amazing vistas. Went to the top of the Desert View Watchtower.

Last part of the tour was going through the Navajo Nation Reservation to the Cameron Trading Post, which was probably an hour or less east of the GC. A bit of a tourist trap but huge and welcoming. Lots of gifts to buy and artwork to look at, plus artisans on site crafting their wares.

One thing to mention is weather at the GC is MUCH different than Sedona much less Phoenix. Left 90 degree temps in Phoenix, Sedona was in the 70s, and there was snow on the rim at the GC - and this was in April! I packed for San Diego and Phoenix, so it was a bit disconcerting to have to put on socks and a jacket at the GC.

On the way back to Phoenix, Dad decided to visit Jerome - an old copper mining town. Very interesting history and now has morphed into some sort of artists colony. Very neat place and enjoyed meandering through the museum then the town.

:jet:

Monello

PREMO Member
We added a stop in Gila Bend, AZ to break up the drive from Bisbee Tombstone to Yuma. Right now we are booked out until May 24th. We have 2 one week stops for our next destinations followed by 2 one month stops at the next 2 destinations. We say goodbye to Texas on the 24th of the month.

In the Lake Havasu area we are trying to get something right on the lake. They have a few campgrounds on both the California and Arizona sides that are waterfront.

And locally we finally broke out of the freezing weather. Fingers crossed that this is the last of it until next winter.

Last edited:

Monello

PREMO Member
Was Tombstone ever on your stops?
We are a month in Tombstone. I consider Tombstone and Bisbee to be the same location more or less. We'll use it as a base to go out and see Tucson, Tubac, Huachuca, Bisbee and anything else that needs exploring while we are out there. You want me to bring you back a fry bread taco?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Was Tombstone ever on your stops?

I just booked our Tombstone RV park. $350 for a month. :yahoo:

After the high pricing of Florida in winter, I was suspicious of how cheap it is to stay in AZ. But that's roughly what they all charge. If AZ wasn't such a progbot hell hole I'd consider it for my retirement list. But I really can't consider a state that elected John McCain Senator for Life, and then snubbed a true hero like Martha McSally for the openly disdainful (and now MIA) Kyrsten Sinema. Their anointing of Jeff Flake is another mark against them. Clearly the citizens of AZ are mental degenerates with a palpable hatred for America, and I can't live around people like that.