Greetings from Flagstaff!

Cassandra

We moved from Maryland to the Prescott area 19 years ago. We love it here and haven't been back east since our move. Everything is so different - Dr's offices, hospitals, stores, people are genuinely nice! 89A is a beautiful highway, I agree. It runs parallel to our home which abuts a ranch. There have been a few wildfires over the years but they are well controlled. So glad you like it here, enjoy your visit. :)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We moved from Maryland to the Prescott area 19 years ago. We love it here and haven't been back east since our move. Everything is so different - Dr's offices, hospitals, stores, people are genuinely nice! 89A is a beautiful highway, I agree. It runs parallel to our home which abuts a ranch. There have been a few wildfires over the years but they are well controlled. So glad you like it here, enjoy your visit. :)
How is the cost of living down that way?

When we travel, often we inquire on the cost of living. The guy doing the barbequeing in Jerome lives in Cottonwood, AZ. He's originally from Buffalo, NY. He pays $875 for a 2/1 house with a garage. He emphasised the garage part when he said it, so that must make the deal a lot better.

I know Sedona has to be crazy expensive. But I can see why. It's like it's Flagstaff's older cousin that went to boarding school. All high falutin and semi snobbery.

We have enjoyed Arizona to say the least. Tombstone, Bisbee, quaint mining towns. Driving through Tucson we got our first views of the saguro cacti that dot the hills around town. Goodyear gave us a view of your capital and our first introduction to dry heat. Scottsdale was a nice stroll around place but at the end of the day we aren't fans of big cities.

The area around Lake Havasu has that prehistoric rock landscape that never gets tiring to look at. The insane heat is what turned us off from there. Parker, on the Colorado river, was a nice place to get a drink overlooking the water and watch the boats fly by. The route 66 towns have done an excellent job of creating tourism for their towns. It would seem that Holbrook needs to get in on the action since it's quite depressing at first glance.

I'm looking forward to going back to Flagstaff to explore more of the national forests. Then over to Williams for a month to stare a the big hole in the ground.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugh.

So a couple days ago I noticed there was a chunk taken out of one of my tires. Not sure how or when it happened. Yesterday I went in to Discount Tire and they put on four new ones (because the tread on one new tire wouldn't be close enough to the old ones to not screw up the whatever it was).

This afternoon we took off to hit some balls and Monello noticed the low tire light was on. By the time we got to the golf course 2 miles away my driver's side rear tire was completely flat. As luck would have it the golf course had an air compressor so we could fill the tire back up and go to the tire place a couple miles away. They said the pressure monitor wasn't seated correctly or something, and was leaking the air. So fixee fixee...

Then we brought my car back to the campground and took Monello's car back to the golf course to have our originally planned fun.

Afterward we got drinks at Museum Club, which is our Flagstaff happy place, and then to Fat Olive's for pizza.

Ideally tomorrow I'll wake up to tires that are still inflated.

I feel fortunate that this problem was discovered within a couple miles of the tire place and not on a bug-out day when I'm on the interstate. I'm also thankful that the golf course had a compressor, although Plan B would be to call AAA. I've had AAA for like 7 years and never used it once, but I know the second I cancel my service something will happen.

We REALLY like Flagstaff. It's one of those places that I don't want to leave and will miss when we move on.

Monello

PREMO Member
Our drive over to the golf course yesterday put us into a different part of Flagstaff. Lots of nice homes and condo/apartments in that area. This town shows well. I'm sure it has it's sketchy parts but we haven't found them yet.

The par 3 gold course was an excellent set up. 9 holes of about 90 yards on average in a tight, postage stamp like plot of land. But it didn't feel crowded or jammed up. Instead someone took the time to lay out the entire thing in as little land as possible. The first green was pretty choppy and a few others needed a bit of touch up, but overall it was a great course. It was an enjoyable afternoon on the links. The bonus was the air compressor that was in the little pay shack that was maybe 5 X 8. I went over to ask if on the odd chance they might have a way to fill a tire. Then glancing over on the counter was an air compressor. What were the odds of that happening? And it wasn't bolted to the counter and the gal had a long enough extension cord that we got our minor issue straightened out pretty quick.

Plus we could see Mt Elden in the distance. Our campground is located at the base of Mt Elden, so we are always looking up at it. We are parked in the upper row with nobody in front of us to obstruct our view. The hike up to the fire watch station is 2.5 miles but it's almost a vertical climb.

The weather here is fantastic. 65 degrees at 7am this morning. The campground is full of people in the morning as many are just here for the night. There are dozens of international campers and large youth groups that mostly tent camp. This place has by far the most tent campers compared to all the other places we've stayed at over the years. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves, so you don't here parents yelling at their kids or here some kid crying like a banshee.

And while I'm typing this in the morning, I'm enjoying a piece of Fat Olive's leftover pizza. Since childhood, leftover pizza has been a b'fast favorite of mine. Not that I ate it a lot, but when I did, it was a nice treat. Even a day later the slice has that nice yeasty aroma and great flavor.

1 more thing. A lot of the people living here are from somewhere else. Mostly from the Phoenix area or the valley as they refer to it here. And most left due to the heat in the summer, which we can both testify can get quite oppressive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday we spent the day in Sedona - oh my gosh, that has to be the prettiest town in America. The mountains and landscape, the town itself...everything was like something in a movie.

We hiked around a bit to get better angles for photos; then we went to the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is a small Catholic church built into the mountainside; then we walked downtown Sedona and had lunch on a patio looking out at the gorgeous scenery.

Sedona is a must-see, so put it on your list right now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Flagstaff also has a terrific farmer's market on Sunday downtown. TONS of food trucks of every nationality, fresh baked goods, locally grown produce (of course), craft items, gourmet coffee beans, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I brought home quiche for lunch, a loaf of cranberry pecan bread, and a pound of Viennese cinnamon coffee.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Sedona is a must-see, so put it on your list right now.
It is amazing and it is on my bucket list to see again as my dad's poor health didn't allow us to do as much as I would have liked. Did you go to the Coffee Pot restaurant? 101 different omelettes. :lol:

Monello

PREMO Member
Did you find the fansy smoke shop in Jerome? :lol:

We chatted up the pit boss when he was out checking on his briskets & ribs. Dude is originally from Buffalo, NY. He somehow ended up in a ghost town in Arizona. But he's not unusual. A lot of the people we find on the road are from somewhere else and have an interesting story of how they ended up where they did. My favorite begin with I followed this guy or I followed a girl out here.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We chatted up the pit boss when he was out checking on his briskets & ribs. Dude is originally from Buffalo, NY. He somehow ended up in a ghost town in Arizona. But he's not unusual. A lot of the people we find on the road are from somewhere else and have an interesting story of how they ended up where they did. My favorite begin with I followed this guy or I followed a girl out here.
I wasn't referring to that kind of smoke shop... :lol:

I was watching Family Guy on tv, and they showed this clip. Immediately thought of you guys in AZ. Have you been thru Tucson yet? :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday we went on walkabout to Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, and Wupatki National Monuments.

Sunset Crater is a volcano that erupted in 1085AD and incinerated roughly 4 sq. miles of land. You can hike around on the trails and see the lava formations, which is a lot cooler than it sounds.

At Wupatki you visit the ancient pueblos that have been excavated and restored:

Today Monello went fishing at Lee's Ferry/Marble Canyon while I did laundry, and here is a sample of what he saw:

I'll let him share more since it was his adventure (while I did laundry 😡 )

Monello

PREMO Member
Arizona driving distances aren't like Maryland driving distances. Stuff is spread out. The good thing is in between is a whole lot of rocks & trees and very few people. Keep that in mind while I retell our weekend travels.

Saturday we wanted to go back to Sedona. Last time we went to Sedona, it was after we visited Jerome. So driving to Sedona we went from west to east. I forget what road we took. It was a pretty drive with the mountains in the background and they got bigger as we approached the city. Leaving Sedona we took 89A back to Flagstaff. That is 1 spectacular drive. But we wanted to save that for the way home.

So the game plan was to drive on the interstate as far south as possible then attack the city from the south. Our karma held out because there are some awesome views south of the city. The forest service was having some wildfire prevention exhibits, most geared towards children. But their parking lot was an excellent spot to take our first series of mountain pictures.

Closer to town the scenery got a whole lot better. There are a bunch of scenic view pullouts on the side of the road. We stopped in 4 or 5 of them before we even got to town. The town itself is a mecca for people who dabble in things like fortune telling and mystic type activities. I can understand why those types would be drawn to the rusty red rocks of Sedona. Artists and hippies are others that find that Sedona calls to them. Like Flagstaff, Sedona is a foodie nirvana. You can find pretty much anything edible that you desire. But you will pay for it. Sedona isn't inexpensive.

Once we stopped taking pictures, we arrived in Sedona proper. Sedona would be the result if Gatlinburg and Jackson Hole procreated. It's touristy and things are a bit on the high end. Native American jewelry is popular. You can purchase a saddle. Those of you with a kinky side can get a riding crop to fulfill your fantasy(ies). Vrai is starting a refrigerator magnet collection. But she has to put them on the oven door since the refer door in the RV is actually plastic. I fully support her collection as weight is an issue for us, so the lighter the better. I thought about getting a native American flute but I still haven't learned how to play the harmonica I bought a few months back.

Our snack on Saturday was an appetizer platter that included duck wings. I'm a big fan of roasted duck with super crispy skin. Back when I worked in food service, 1 of the place I worked at served a half of duck with an orange grand marnier sauce. I could eat that once a week. Our waitress filled us in on what it's like to work and live in Sedona. Rents are outrageous and many workers have chosen to live in Cottonwood and drive in daily for work. She also indicated that she felt all the mystic people were preying on gullible tourists and didn't provide anything of value. I tend to agree with her. But as Board Mommy is fond of saying, if people are going to be stupid, someone should make some money off of their stupidity.

After we did a thorough walk around downtown we headed home. Our route was 89A. I wish I could transport all the adventurous people I know to this destination. Pile all of us in a van and head north through the Coconino National Forest. Vrai had a few beers with lunch, otherwise she was suppose to drive us out while I sat in the passenger seat while we drove along the steep drop offs that lead to the canyons below. Again we were a few minutes late for 1 of the scenic views. They close the gate at 5pm and both trips we missed getting in. But truth be told, the entire drive in 1 gigantic scenic view.

Safely back home, I was tasked with finding something for us to do on Sunday. My choice was to go up to Sunset Crater National Monument. That's a story for another post.

Monello

PREMO Member
FWIW, if Flagstaff had an ocean, we'd relocate here in a heart beat. Summers in Flagstaff & winters in Las Cruces, NM.