Greetings from Las Cruces, NM!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Based on my reading of some of your posts I figured you to have been at least a Field Grade O.
Oh, I get it! Yup (O-6). So I guess I just proved the (stereo)type! o_O

Thanks for the clarification. I think, anyway. ;)

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm confused. Two different things...?

I took the post to mean they never opened the cover of the panel at the "power pole" to make sure the circuit breaker was "on."

Or am I misunderstanding?

--- End of (my 30 amp) line (MCP)
I took it to mean that the power pole was de-enegized by flipping the circuit breaker switch to the OFF position. I always turn the power off before I disconnect my electrical connection. I don't then turn the power back on. My understanding is that it's better to attach your power cord then flip the switch to ON.

So if you never flip the circuit breaker switch then you won't have any juice.

Similar to the water connection. You attach your hose but if you don't open the faucet then nothing will come out no matter how many times you turn on the interior faucets.

Yooper

I took it to mean that the power pole was de-enegized by flipping the circuit breaker switch to the OFF position. I always turn the power off before I disconnect my electrical connection. I don't then turn the power back on. My understanding is that it's better to attach your power cord then flip the switch to ON.
I do exactly this. Learned my lesson early on (similar story that started this sub-mini-thread)!

Similar to the water connection. You attach your hose but if you don't open the faucet then nothing will come out no matter how many times you turn on the interior faucets.
I have a slightly different take on this. I learned to make sure the interior RV faucets were turned OFF before turning ON the water at the post. One big mess and one very angry wife.

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

PREMO Member
I do exactly this. Learned my lesson early on (similar story that started this sub-mini-thread)!

I have a slightly different take on this. I learned to make sure the interior RV faucets were turned OFF before turning ON the water at the post. One big mess and one very angry wife.

--- End of line (MCP)
I'm on quite a few RV related facebook groups. There is no shortage of boneheaded things people do while setting up, living in and breaking down their RVs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We had so much fun today. I'm going to be sorry to leave here.

We went to St. Clair Winery and Bistro for their blues festival, then to Palacio for a drink (or 8 or 10). At the blues place I wanted to hear the rockabilly band, and after that I didn't care but we met up with a couple who were looking to travel full time, so of course we had to encourage them. Then at Palacio we met up with another couple who were doing whatever and are now getting training in medical stuff, which means they can take it anywhere. They, too, are looking to travel. And she expressed disbelief that I am 55, and said I had perky boobs!

:thewave:

But honestly, why would you leave Las Cruces??? I delight in telling natives how much I love their city. I'm going to weep when we leave. I'm excited for Tombstone and I know I will love it, but man...Las Cruces...I'm going to miss it so much. I'm already having separation anxiety.

Monello

PREMO Member
Tomorrow is our last full day here in Las Cruces. We haven't stayed a month anyplace since we left San Antonio. That seems like it was ages ago. If all goes well, Wednesday evening we will be in Arizona. A new chapter in our story. Leaving is bittersweet. You hate to leave but you realize there are new adventures down the road.

It finally rained here. We went almost a month with no precipitation. Today's rain wasn't much but given how we haven't had any, it was significant. And it dropped the temperature a bit. Almost midnight and it's 57 degrees out.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Tomorrow is our last full day here in Las Cruces. We haven't stayed a month anyplace since we left San Antonio. That seems like it was ages ago. If all goes well, Wednesday evening we will be in Arizona. A new chapter in our story. Leaving is bittersweet. You hate to leave but you realize there are new adventures down the road.

It finally rained here. We went almost a month with no precipitation. Today's rain wasn't much but given how we haven't had any, it was significant. And it dropped the temperature a bit. Almost midnight and it's 57 degrees out.

Stay safe out there, y’all. Apollo must be loving it. I know my, labradoodle, Daisy, would. She is a sociable dog, and friends with everyone; human or critter. She is the one on the right in my avatar. The one on the left is Toby; owned by my dot. They are bro and sis that came from the same litter. They have a blast together every day. Reminded me of y’all, and what you post about your excellent adventure.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hope the contest winners loved their coffee and cookies. I got 2 bags of Mexican Chocolate and 1 bag of Biscochito to take with me when we leave tomorrow so I can make the magic last a little longer.

Tomorrow we head to Tombstone!

:yahoo: 😭

Yooper

For the both of you... (Monello especially, since he said he was going to bookmark the site).

Return travel bringing you by/near Bastrop, TX?

If you’ve ever watched a vintage horror film involving a cannibalistic chainsaw-wielding murder and thought, That’s my ideal dining experience, Bastrop, Texas, has the spot for you. The original gas-station-cum-barbecue-joint featured in the cult classic The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is now a weekend destination, complete with four rustic cabins (with one shared bathroom), a campsite, and, of course, plenty of smoked and sauced meats.

The lodge’s phone number may be 512-321-SAWS, but don’t worry: A sign out front reassures visitors that “We Slaughter Barbecue,” rather than, say, people. That’s a relief, considering that in the iconic film, the cannibal family that runs the gas station serves their customers…literally.

The station has been a pilgrimage destination for horror buffs since the film’s 1974 release. A few years ago, one Massacre aficionado took his love for the franchise one step further. Roy Rose, an Ohio businessman, purchased the station, added food, lodging, and a replica of the film’s green vintage van, and opened in 2016. Rose even recruited Ari Lehman, who made movie history as the original Jason Voorhees, as a partner in his “horror resort.”

Link: "Texas Chainsaw Massacre Gas Station"

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Return travel bringing by/near Bastrop, TX?

It's about 5 miles from the KOA we stay at. There's a BBQ place (surprise) there. For some reason we didn't go, but will next time we're in Bastrop. :yay:

I'm a mad fan of pop cultural destinations. That's why we went to cute little Mystic, CT - because of Mystic Pizza.

Yooper

You have to see White Sands to really appreciate it. Large dunes of powdery white sand, with a mountain backdrop. This whole area is gorgeous, though, and the view changes based on the sun position and cloud cover. It looks fake, it's so pretty.
A late White Sands entry (link): "Watch Five Alarmingly Calm Men Stand Under an Exploding Atomic Bomb"

On July 19th, 1957, Col. Sidney Bruce, Lt. Col. Frank P. Ball, Maj. Norman “Bodie” Bodinger, Maj. John Hughes, and Don Luttrel all volunteered to stand beneath the bomb. As the video shows, they stand next to a sign, intended to be humorous, which reads: “GROUND ZERO Population 5”. The men are huddled together, their hands shading their eyes, wavering in anticipation as a radio voice counts down from 10.

--- End of line (MCP)