Greetings from my happy place!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:mad: I shoulda gone with you all to Seaside. FH didn't enjoy our walkabout when we stopped in on our way to Destin. :ohwell:

I think he was talking about a different town. There are several of them on 30A. Rosemary Beach is chi chi and you have to wear clothes, I'll bet that's what he was thinking of when he said it was too snooty looking. Seaside is roam about and grab something from the food truck to eat on the lawn, wander down to the beach with a beer in your hand, laid back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tropical storm Alberto - WOOT! Honestly, after the "squalls" we experienced in Marathon, it's going to take some doing to make my pulse race. At this point it's a cycle - rain HARD and high wind for 10 mins; calm for about an hour; rain HARD and high wind for 10 mins; calm for about an hour, etc. It's been doing that since 4am or so.

A lot of people bugged out of the campground yesterday; I won't worry until I see the campground workers taking cover. Plus they'll tell us if we need to get out, but I don't think it's going to come to that.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think he was talking about a different town. There are several of them on 30A. Rosemary Beach is chi chi and you have to wear clothes, I'll bet that's what he was thinking of when he said it was too snooty looking. Seaside is roam about and grab something from the food truck to eat on the lawn, wander down to the beach with a beer in your hand, laid back.

No, it was Seaside.The place with all the food trucks.We ate at the pickle place. (can't figure out why it is sideways! Can't fixee on this phone...

20180509_123354.jpg

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
These are the weather conditions that I hate on the days where we move. You have to breakdown and store everything wet and soggy. Hopefully things here dry out by Thursday. The plus side is that it's been in the 80s most days and that should dry things out quickly.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Traffic is indeed a bear when tourists flock. It's not so bad on the eastern side because everybody is doing the stuff on Front Beach and clogging up 98. We had a very slow ride back from Seaside yesterday because of beach traffic.

Which is what we did yesterday - drove to Seaside. When I was there a couple weeks ago I spotted Bud & Alley's pizza joint, with a beach front patio that was so inviting I had to grab Monello and go back. You sit on little cozy little cushioned couches and your table is more of a coffee table. After lunch we walked around and bought cronuts (which is Monello's new favorite pastry). Tons of people, kids playing on the lawn - yes, everyone running around in swimsuits. :lol: Seaside is a super cute little town - it's where The Truman Show was filmed. It's a picture perfect beach town.

Last night it freaking POURED. I woke up about 4am to rain beating on the roof of the motorhome, but this morning it's sunny and clear. Mother Nature's little love tap sent a number of the vacationers packing, which always amuses me. It'll rain, and they all scurry away, but if they'd waited a few hours it would be sunny and they could get back to recreating.

Merlin, how are your son and his wife liking Tyndall, other than tourists clogging up the works?

I know you guys are in the same area, but your description of the place and his you'd think you were in two different states. He's not got a lot of good things to say about the place bears, tourist, bugs and humidity. He's there with two kids, a toddler and a baby, so that could be influencing his opinion. Also he didn't want to leave Nebraska, but the AF had other plans.

Monello

PREMO Member
I know you guys are in the same area, but your description of the place and his you'd think you were in two different states. He's not got a lot of good things to say about the place bears, tourist, bugs and humidity. He's there with two kids, a toddler and a baby, so that could be influencing his opinion. Also he didn't want to leave Nebraska, but the AF had other plans.

The time of year that we are here, we pretty much avoid all the humidity. I have noticed some annoying bugs later in the evenings around the pond. For the most part we've been here for 5 months and bugs have been a non issue.

Tourists are a given in the part of town where we are. Tyndall is a ways away, after traveling through the city of Panama City. It looks pretty laid back from what I saw. No bears. There are a few gators in the state park. I smell skunk every once in a while.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When the lawn crew came around the Park Models one day - they were spreading the pine needle mulch around all the bushes and pretty much lined all around the mobile homes with it. I am pretty sure it harbored bugs, since it probably sits in those huge round bales for long periods of time before use. I about had a dang heart attack when we came back later in the evening, turned on the lights and there went a palmetto-type bug scurrying along the counter top and landed on another level of counter below. OMG,I am really not exaggerating when I say it was *nearly the size of a mouse - probably 3/4 the size of a small mouse. Foxhound had to go fetch it - because I am reduced to a pitiful and cowering wuss when it comes to those things. It can be downright embarassing. I don't think even snakes scare me as much :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Different strokes....

It's funny to me that anyone would not want to leave Nebraska winters for year round beach. :lol: But I do get that - NE is a nice place to raise a family, plus you get used to the wide open. That's definitely one of the things I miss about home, the room to stretch out.

Monello

PREMO Member
Parting views from PCB

DSCF9571.jpg

These pirates were all plastered on grog and nearly ran aground on the beach which is the light color in the picture. Actually the channel drops off right near the shore. You can see the channel marker to the extreme fight of the photo. The water on the starboard side of the boat is actually quite shallow. So all the boats have to navigate quite close to the shore in this area. That doesn't stop them from flying though there at breakneck speed.
DSCF9564.jpg

The red building in the middle of the picture is a sail up bait shop. There are nets full of shrimp and bait fish that they provide for anglers heading out of the pass to fish in the Gulf.
DSCF9570.jpg

Lastly a picture of our newly modified tow bar.

DSCF9575.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
I think the real story of Tally-Ho was our waitress or I believe they refer to them as carhops. First off she mentions that her wrist is hurting her and how she almost dropped her grandson. Jamie runs off to get our drinks. Vrai mentions to me that she appears too young to be a grandmother. So doing the math, you figure it's possible for someone to become a granny at the ripe young age of 36-38.

Jamie is back with our liquids and Vrai casually asks her how old she is. She replies 38. She gets our food order and off she goes. After we got our food we are chit chatting and Jamie mentions something that I wasn't really paying attention to until she said the magic words you don't hear everyday. "Since I got out of prison".

And then the floodgates were opened wide. For the next several minutes we got a down and dirty of Jamie's life of crime. Her latest stint was 22 months for drug dealing. Until that time, her longest incarceration was for 6 months. She has 25 arrests and there is a warrant out for her from Texas. Normally random people don't share this sort of intimate details with me, but it isn't such a rare event for Vrai. So is it a male/female thing? Maybe I have an unsympathetic face. Who knows. Just another afternoon in Panama City, FL, I guess.
We stopped off at Tally Ho today. I had to ask our carhop if the (in)famous Jamie was still working there. Turns out she isn't. Then we got an earful of some of the unsavory things Jamie was accused of doing while employed there. Now I don't really care if it's true or not. I have no dog in the fight. But given what Jamie already told us personally and what her ex coworker claimed she did, it's not hard to imagine those things being true. Let's just say that she was accused of using her assets to get some really big tips.

Which leads to the question of why so many ne'er do wells end up in Florida? There is a homeless guy in our area that we often see tooling around on his bicycle. He dumpster dives for hidden treasures to resell. I gave him a bunch of old stuff when we vacated the motor home. He told me he sold the dog pen I gave in about an hour after I dropped it off at his roadside flea market. And there are a few more visible societal misfits. But you do tend to see the same thing in a lot of big cities.

Grumpy

I think the real story of Tally-Ho was our waitress or I believe they refer to them as carhops. First off she mentions that her wrist is hurting her and how she almost dropped her grandson. Jamie runs off to get our drinks. Vrai mentions to me that she appears too young to be a grandmother. So doing the math, you figure it's possible for someone to become a granny at the ripe young age of 36-38.

Jamie is back with our liquids and Vrai casually asks her how old she is. She replies 38. She gets our food order and off she goes. After we got our food we are chit chatting and Jamie mentions something that I wasn't really paying attention to until she said the magic words you don't hear everyday. "Since I got out of prison".

And then the floodgates were opened wide. For the next several minutes we got a down and dirty of Jamie's life of crime. Her latest stint was 22 months for drug dealing. Until that time, her longest incarceration was for 6 months. She has 25 arrests and there is a warrant out for her from Texas. Normally random people don't share this sort of intimate details with me, but it isn't such a rare event for Vrai. So is it a male/female thing? Maybe I have an unsympathetic face. Who knows. Just another afternoon in Panama City, FL, I guess.
No mentions of trains, trucks or her mama?