Greetings from not Fort Worth!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What was supposed to happen:

Two months ago Monello made an appointment with Fun Town RV in Cleburne to get some work done on the motorhome. We were to stay in the Home2 Suites in Fort Worth for two weeks while the work was being done.

What actually happened:

We arrived at Fun (ha) Town to find that they don't even do work on Class As. Us: "But we had an appointment!" Them: "Yeah, the appointment people aren't really up to speed on the kind of work we do." I am not making that up. That is exactly what the Fun Town person said.

So, okay....Maybe we can leave the motorhome in their lot for the night, go to the hotel and figure out what to do from here.

"Nope, sorry - you can't leave your RV in the lot." She left off the "**** you" but it was clear she was thinking it.

So Monello's amazing girlfriend jumped on the google machine, made a call, and hooked us up with a campground in Cleburne for the weekend. And it's a surprisingly nice campground, with a pond and the nicest lady who checked me in and gave me a pull-through for the cheapo price of $37/night because she felt sorry for me.

Snag: Monello bought an inflatable boat and was having it delivered to the Home2 in Fort Worth. So I called to cancel our reservation and asked the lovely and talented Samantha if they could hang onto the package and Monello would come up and get it....and she said yes, they would be happy to do that. So "Fun" Town - you suck, but Home2 Suites and RV Ranch fixed our problem.

So now we have to figure out what happens from here. I'm thinking just find another RV park closer to Fort Worth and stay for the two weeks, or just stay here if they have space. We're about a half hour from Fort Worth, so we can still see the things we wanted to see. We could also stay a week instead of two and do two weeks in Bastrop instead of the one we'd planned on. Decisions...

Once we got settled and brought our packed stuff back in the motorhome, we were starving and ventured off for dinner. Found the cutest diner downtown, then our waiter directed us to a terrific bar - Black Sheep Baa & Grill (Baa! :lol: ) - for a desperately needed cocktail. I'm on the Nexium so hopefully the beer I drank won't make me sick. Cleburne is a surprisingly nice town, for some place we got dumped. We could be happy here.

So tonight I'll do some research and make a decision tomorrow. And figure out when/where to get the work we need done on the motorhome.

A disturbance in the force, but we endeavor to persevere.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Wasn't sure whether to go "sad face" or "thumbs up"....

Best wishes, regardless!

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wasn't sure whether to go "sad face" or "thumbs up"....

Best wishes, regardless!

--- End of line (MCP)

There was a time when you all would have seen me on the TV after I busted that place up, but traveling has taught me to go with the flow and not get discombobulated when things go awry. I tend to be a Plan B, C, D, E, etc person anyway but I'd usually have a fit first. Now I just skip right to the plan.

littlelady

God bless the USA
There was a time when you all would have seen me on the TV after I busted that place up, but traveling has taught me to go with the flow and not get discombobulated when things go awry. I tend to be a Plan B, C, D, E, etc person anyway but I'd usually have a fit first. Now I just skip right to the plan.

Interesting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Problem solved! We're staying here until the 8th when we head to Bastrop.

Yesterday we went into Fort Worth to the Stockyards, which is their tourist area with all the action. Tons of shops, bars, restaurants, and activities. At 11am and 4pm every day they have a cattle drive through the streets.

They also have an enclosed "mall" with gifts and crafts and western wear in what used to be cattle pens and (I think) the auction house. There's an entertainment complex where they have rodeos and concerts. Leddy's, which is a famous custom boot maker, is located in the Stockyards.

In Cleburne, where we're staying, there is a - ready? - Gone With the Wind museum. Monello won't care but I care very deeply and plan on seeing it. Fun fact: The guy who wrote the Campbell's Soup jingle is from Cleburne.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The Stockyard is the result when some forward thinking planners take a location and repurpose it. In it's new form it's a place where people from all over want to go to hang out and see the sights. It's like the Broadway section of Nashville and the Scottsdale tourist area were combined and scaled back a bit. You have a country themed area with just enough museums, bars, restaurant and tourist attractions to keep the area filled with money spending tourists all year round.

I think if Tombstone, AZ was close to a major city, it would resemble the Stockyards. As it is, Tombstone is so far off the beaten path that it's able to retain it's charm and make you feel like you were transported back to 1880 Arizona.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The GWTW museum was really neat. They had like 8 million pieces of memorabilia, including GWTW toilet paper :lol: . Dolls galore, some nice, some crap, and a good bit of Civil War history so Monello wasn't bored out of his skull.

The mural outside (in the boxes are crappy Madame Alexander dolls that never look anything like the person they represent):

And a small section of it up close:

They had the original jacket Melanie wore when she greeted Ashley at the train station - man, Olivia de Havilland was tiny!

They also had Scarlett's original mourning bonnet and reproductions of all the dresses she wore in the movie, and much history on the life of Margaret Mitchell. Very interesting, at least for me because I'm a fan.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's kind of amazing that we've been here almost two weeks and have only gone into Fort Worth once. I thought we'd be running up there all the time - it's only a half hour away - but...meh. The Stockyards is the big attraction and other than that it's just another big city. We're over eating and boozing it up - which used to be our primary activity - so now we need something else to attract us. We've also done so much with museums and art walks and historic homes and historic villages that we're jaded and need something unique to get us excited.

Yooper

It's kind of amazing that we've been here almost two weeks and have only gone into Fort Worth once. I thought we'd be running up there all the time - it's only a half hour away - but...meh. The Stockyards is the big attraction and other than that it's just another big city. We're over eating and boozing it up - which used to be our primary activity - so now we need something else to attract us. We've also done so much with museums and art walks and historic homes and historic villages that we're jaded and need something unique to get us excited.
Maybe drive over to Dallas and visit gas Monkey Garage...? And let us know if it's worth it...?

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

What's Monkey Garage?
Oops, sorry. "Gas Monkey Garage." The owner has a VERY popular show on Discovery called "Fast & Loud." Like "American Pickers" (History Channel), but much, much bigger. They build cool cars, he sponsors various racing teams, he has a restaurant near the shop, a cafe at the DFW airport, etc.

I love the show!

Edit. Let me add this:

And this:

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oops, sorry. "Gas Monkey Garage." The owner has a VERY popular show on Discovery called "Fast & Loud." Like "American Pickers" (History Channel), but much, much bigger. They build cool cars, he sponsors various racing teams, he has a restaurant near the shop, a cafe at the DFW airport, etc.

I'll send Monello :lol:

1stGenSMIB

I have a subcontractor in Grand Prairie, TX, that I visit on occasion. I will try to find the Stockyards in Cleburne Fort Worth (fixed) the next time I am there..looks like a cool place.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a subcontractor in Grand Prairie, TX, that I visit on occasion. I will try to find the Stockyards in Cleburne the next time I am there..looks like a cool place.

The Stockyards are in Fort Worth. Cleburne is the small town we ended up in because of SNAFU.

And it is a cool place! You'd really enjoy it!