Greetings from San Antonio!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Head down to Corpus Christi. It's really nice.
If Texas needs an enema, and Beaumont isn't available, the tube is going in the CC area. When we decided to go to CC, I thought it would be this quaint Texas town. It was quaint but not in a good way. Shout out to all the bluff rats out there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Life comes at you fast, that's why I don't worry about it. If I'd been standing right there, out walking the dog or sitting on the patio or whatever, and that guy had come running past me being chased by a cop, I could have had a gun right in my hand and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to start shooting.

When my house was robbed I was upstairs asleep with a .40 literally within arm's reach of me. If I'd heard them, would I have gone down and plugged them? Doubtful. More likely I'd have shouted, "Hey! Who's there!" and they'd have run off before I could even get down the stairs. Life is not like the movies. Rambo isn't real.

Today, it was over by the time we even realized we were in potential danger, and that's usually how these things go. I feel for the people who got their motorhome shot because THAT would be scary, especially since another shot went into the side of a truck and punched through the other side. They have a great story to tell around future campfires.

Every day people walk out their door and never walk back in. Car accidents come out of nowhere, heart attacks, whatever. Those are WAY more likely to kill you than some random crazy person running through your RV park to evade the cops. So I don't spend a lot of time worrying about things that could have happened but didn't.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Today things are back to normal around here. 2 of the rigs up by where the shooting took place have left. I doubt they were due to leave. I didn't see the truck that got shot up either.

This afternoon we drove downtown for 1 last visit. We ate at Mary Ann's Pig Stand. It's been there since 1927. Mary Ann started there as a waitress in 1967. Now she owns the place. We chatted with her for a while. She said business was good but not what it use to be. Their iconic sandwich is a pork loin bbq sammy. It's located close to the Pearl brewery area, so the area is growing. Decades ago it was a car hop joint. The outside roofs are still there but no rollerskaters.

Before all the excitement yesterday, I spent a good part of the day at the gun range. Vrai had first of month stuff to do for SOMD, so I made myself scarce. I took 3 pistols but only shot 2 of them. I shot the Beretta .22 the most. I love how that gun feels in my hand. It was an outdoor range. $11 to shoot all day if you want.

Here's my final .22 target. I only had 2 FTEs with my bulk rounds. I still have a bunch of them to burn through before I can buy some better ammo. The last time I shot was back in Maryland during the cast & blast weekend with Foxhound and Monellino. That day we klugged targets out of shish kebob sticks and tape. That day my aim wasn't so true. Yesterday it was much better.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love an iconic diner.

The Pig Stand

Everyone always recommends these schmintzy fine dining places to us, but we're slummers. We like diners, drive-ins, and dives. Those one of a kind holes in the wall.

On the way home we drove through the barrio, Ese. What was kind of hilarious is that we stopped at the Circle K so I could get a soda, and they sell tamales and chicken burrito things on the roller...when you can walk one block to a dozen Mexican shacks and taquerias.

:crazy:

Tomorrow we head for historic Kerrville. I spent some time today putting together the rest of our spring and summer itinerary.

Fort Stockton
El Paso
Las Cruces
Tombstone/Bisbee
Yuma
Lake Havasu
Las Vegas
Grand Canyon

Then we figure out what happens between Grand Canyon and when we are due to arrive in South Padre Island in December.