Grill Smoking

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Smoking on a grill is hard, difficult to get the temp low enough and maintain it on most.
I have a 3 burner Weber, will use all 3 to get up to temp and leave one going to maintain.
But, I did buy a dedicated gas fired smoker last year at a summer's end real good price. It's big enough to do a 14 pound turkey.

PeoplesElbow

I have a 3 burner Weber, will use all 3 to get up to temp and leave one going to maintain.
But, I did buy a dedicated gas fired smoker last year at a summer's end real good price. It's big enough to do a 14 pound turkey.
A couple years ago I got an electric cabinet smoker from Lowes, it is awesome, throw some wood in the tray, set it and forget it.

Before that I tried to smoke on a propane grill with a smoke box, it just wouldn't go low enough and cooked too fast. Ive heard it isn't too bad on a charcoal grill if you make a snake shape out of the briquettes so that they light slowly as the adjacent one eventually lights the next one.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
True Value in L'town.

And...my southern VA family makes sure I get plenty of cherry and apple chunks every year. that's what I use to smoke oysters.
Thanks.
I am asking for a friend.
Friends brother has a full size smoker.
Friend heading to his brothers house for extended Thanksgiving week.
Friend asks brother what he can bring.
Brother tells younger brother (friend) wood for the smoker.

Friend asks me where he can find wood for a smoker.

And I ask myself, why me?

Grumpy

Not sure where you would get wood for a full size smoker...I used to pick up bags with chunks of wood when I used my green egg to smoke stuff, but sounds like you need wood stove size stuff for a full size smoker. Your friend's brother gonna drive a pickup truck with a tenth of a cord of wood for his TG dinner? (arriving at 4am?)

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Not sure where you would get wood for a full size smoker...I used to pick up bags with chunks of wood when I used my green egg to smoke stuff, but sounds like you need wood stove size stuff for a full size smoker. Your friend's brother gonna drive a pickup truck with a tenth of a cord of wood for his TG dinner? (arriving at 4am?)
Thanks Grumpy you are correct.
Problem solved.
Friend (from here) is taking the wood, down to his brothers house in SC for the T holiday.
Found the wood from a friend of a friend.
Thanks all.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My nephew had a huge (at least 16" diameter) hickory cut down because the nuts were dinging his vehicles. He had the cutter leave 4-6' logs for his favorite uncle. Unfortunately they fell down in a gully and I'm going to have to wench the logs out to get them to the driveway. I'll never have to buy any hickory for the smoker.

PeoplesElbow

No you don't. Meat only absorbs the smoke taste for the first hour, maybe two that it is being smoked. I go through a large plastic folgers coffee can full of chips in a summer and I smoke quite a bit, maybe every other weekend.

PeoplesElbow

What is the best wood for smoking? Please say locust, cedar, or black walnut.
Apple, Cherry, Hickory and Mesquite in order of the strength of smokiness. Mesquite is too much smokiness for me, I usually just stick to apple and cherry, and no it doesn't give the food an apple or cherry taste.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Apple, Cherry, Hickory and Mesquite in order of the strength of smokiness. Mesquite is too much smokiness for me, I usually just stick to apple and cherry, and no it doesn't give the food an apple or cherry taste.
I have never smoked food.
Is Oak ok?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I like the Bourbon barrel chips, too.