Ground manners

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Usually after once or twice getting whacked, most of the horses back up when I either tell them back or tap the air once. Especially at feed time, that whip is crucial because some of the horses lose their little monkey minds when you're trying to walk into the field.

Tonight the troublesome younger paint came into her run as I dumped her feed. She got too close and I tried to push her away so I could get out. She pushed back and closed even more so I put the edge on the bucket into her ribs and pushed back. I thought she would back off but she actually swung her whole body and ass back at me aggressively! I grabbed her halter, forced her head down and back, dropped the bucket and gave her the hardest open handed slap behind the shoulder I could. The resounding slap, the jerk on the halter, and my sudden movement backed her up so I hauled her out of the run, away from her feed, and drug her around the pasture leaving her no doubt as to my alpha status. I spent about 20 minutes bossing her around (it was 95 out today :hot:) before I released her. I'm rusty, it's been a long time since I handled horses daily. I might need to talk to a trainer who lives about a mile away.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Tonight the troublesome younger paint came into her run as I dumped her feed. She got too close and I tried to push her away so I could get out. She pushed back and closed even more so I put the edge on the bucket into her ribs and pushed back. I thought she would back off but she actually swung her whole body and ass back at me aggressively! I grabbed her halter, forced her head down and back, dropped the bucket and gave her the hardest open handed slap behind the shoulder I could. The resounding slap, the jerk on the halter, and my sudden movement backed her up so I hauled her out of the run, away from her feed, and drug her around the pasture leaving her no doubt as to my alpha status. I spent about 20 minutes bossing her around (it was 95 out today :hot:) before I released her. I'm rusty, it's been a long time since I handled horses daily. I might need to talk to a trainer who lives about a mile away.

You were too easy on her..I would have hit her with the bucket..kicked her with my feet and she she would not have eatten..when I pushed and she came back all hell would have broken loose..

devinej

sounds like they are quite spoiled little ponies, but you are on the right track. just be careful though, even little ones can hurt you.

buck brannaman has some no nonsense books. and he doesn't sell any of that other carrot stick crap.

if you need more help, i travel.