Guitar Stuff

bulldog

My 22 year old son enjoys playing guitar and we recently bought him a new acustic, electric for his birthday. Now looking for a "go with" for Christmas. He already has a small amp, electric tuner and carry bag. Is there anything else that a guitar player may want?
I thought about a nice shoulder strap, but not really sure how useful they are. I think he plays mostly while lounging around his place sitting in a chair.
Thanks in advance.

:larry:

Jedmobile

Straps are nice, everyone needs one.

You can also buy him a metronome which will help him improve his timing. You can always spring for a few lessons as well.

Practice Practice Practice, I wish him well :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
digitech gnx4 | eBay

There may well be better. I know there is newer.

Pro's; endless tones, from bass to dirty electric to twang to some seriously weird ####.

Recorder

Tuner

Drum machine

Ability to interface with computer

Con's; not exactly intuitive but, not a nightmare either. Something else newer, bigger, better, etc.

I have one so, this is an endorsement.

:buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My 22 year old son enjoys playing guitar and we recently bought him a new acustic, electric for his birthday. Now looking for a "go with" for Christmas. He already has a small amp, electric tuner and carry bag. Is there anything else that a guitar player may want?
I thought about a nice shoulder strap, but not really sure how useful they are. I think he plays mostly while lounging around his place sitting in a chair.
Thanks in advance.

:larry:

You say a "carry bag". If it is just a gig bag (soft), that does not protect the guitar at all. An investment in the proper size hard shell case would be a wise choice, and they are not necessarily cheap. Make sure the fit is for his specific guitar.

Another good investment, if the small amp is not specifically for acoustic guitars, is a decent acoustic amp. A 35-40W amp with modeling applications can really be a lot of fun. And LOUD!

Guitar Amplifiers & Effects: Shop Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
A glass, brass or chrome slide. Every guitar player should have at least one.
Each one will give a different tone but glass is usually a good first choice.

Last edited:

bulldog

A glass, brass or chrome slide. Every guitar player should have at least one.
Each one will give a different tone but glass is usually a good first choice.

I think he has one of these too, but I forgot to mention.

I really like the idea of the cleaning kit and the string wrapper, cutter thing.
The guitar was pretty costly so he knows it was birthday and part Christmas so i'm trying to keep the costs down, but still give him something to open when he comes to visit.

Hank

my war
You say a "carry bag". If it is just a gig bag (soft), that does not protect the guitar at all. An investment in the proper size hard shell case would be a wise choice, and they are not necessarily cheap. Make sure the fit is for his specific guitar.

Another good investment, if the small amp is not specifically for acoustic guitars, is a decent acoustic amp. A 35-40W amp with modeling applications can really be a lot of fun. And LOUD!

Guitar Amplifiers & Effects: Shop Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

I agree with this... Good idea! Unless it is a total POS guitar he has.

bulldog

I agree with this... Good idea! Unless it is a total POS guitar he has.

I know Jack Squat about guitars, but it was, I think, a Gibson...Les Paul...maybe? I kid, I KID! :killingme

It's a Martin "Custom X Series", whatever that means. Hopefully not a POS cause I paid a good bit for it.

Hank

my war
I know Jack Squat about guitars, but it was, I think, a Gibson...Les Paul...maybe? I kid, I KID! :killingme

It's a Martin "Custom X Series", whatever that means. Hopefully not a POS cause I paid a good bit for it.

:lmao: I would get the hard case....:yay: I can't stand gig bags, they shouldn't exist!