Guitar Stuff

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
I think he has one of these too, but I forgot to mention.

I really like the idea of the cleaning kit and the string wrapper, cutter thing.
The guitar was pretty costly so he knows it was birthday and part Christmas so i'm trying to keep the costs down, but still give him something to open when he comes to visit.

You're welcome :yay:

When he changes the strings, he'll use the cleaning kit, and while putting new strings on he'll use the string wrapper.

hmmm...new strings....I probably ought to change mine fairly soon:larry:

BOP

A glass, brass or chrome slide. Every guitar player should have at least one.
Each one will give a different tone but glass is usually a good first choice.

Unless you're this guy, in which case, you can use a beer bottle (1:14):

RPMDAD

BOP, i am ashamed of you on this one. " Unless you're this guy, in which case, you can use a beer bottle (1:14):" You left out the part that it has to be a Heineken beer bottle, or it won't sound the same. :cheers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My 22 year old son enjoys playing guitar and we recently bought him a new acustic, electric for his birthday. Now looking for a "go with" for Christmas. He already has a small amp, electric tuner and carry bag. Is there anything else that a guitar player may want?
I thought about a nice shoulder strap, but not really sure how useful they are. I think he plays mostly while lounging around his place sitting in a chair.
Thanks in advance.

:larry:

Buy him a NICE guitar tuning app for his phone.

Picks

Replacement strings..

Metronome is a real good.idea.

PsyOps

Pixelated
There is nothing that gets the creative juices going than to be able to record your own stuff. I don't know what you intend to spend but there are a ton of inexpensive (and expensive) home recording setups.

You can go computer-based recording setups (with this you need an external audio interface to plug the guitar or other audio devices in to the computer):

- Mac comes with Garage Band
- Cubase (I use this for recording, but it can be pretty expensive)
- Cakewalk is a fairly affordable program
- I have the Presonus FireStudio Mobile external Audio interface. It's bundled free with 'Studio One', which is recording studio software and has all sorts of add-ons and effects (like echo, reverb, etc...)

Or you can go with a portable digital multi-track recording studio:

Digital Multitrack Recorders | Sweetwater.com

This is just a list of some things out there. Prices from about $150 on up. I wouldn't recommend buying from here though. Go to Hot Licks in Waldorf, or Chuck Levins in Silver Springs (my favorite place), or a Guitar Center store. You'll get things a lot cheaper there than online. Chuck Levins is very reasonable and will sometimes negotiate prices AND sells used stuff too.

With the multi-track recorders, these require external effects and devices that are normally built in to the software-based products.

I have a home recording studio rig set up and can tell you, with the digital technology out there you can make some very professional-sounding recordings and convert them to any audio format you want for burning to CD or adding to a MP3 player and uploading to websites like YouTube.

Last edited:

bulldog

There is nothing that gets the creative juices going than to be able to record your own stuff. I don't know what you intend to spend but there are a ton of inexpensive (and expensive) home recording setups.

You can go computer-based recording setups (with this you need an external audio interface to plug the guitar or other audio devices in to the computer):

- Mac comes with Garage Band
- Cubase (I use this for recording, but it can be pretty expensive)
- Cakewalk is a fairly affordable program
- I have the Presonus FireStudio Mobile external Audio interface. It's bundled free with 'Studio One', which is recording studio software and has all sorts of add-ons and effects (like echo, reverb, etc...)

Or you can go with a portable digital multi-track recording studio:

Digital Multitrack Recorders | Sweetwater.com

This is just a list of some things out there. Prices from about $150 on up. I wouldn't recommend buying from here though. Go to Hot Licks in Waldorf, or Chuck Levins in Silver Springs (my favorite place), or a Guitar Center store. You'll get things a lot cheaper there than online. Chuck Levins is very reasonable and will sometimes negotiate prices AND sells used stuff too.

With the multi-track recorders, these require external effects and devices that are normally built in to the software-based products.

I have a home recording studio rig set up and can tell you, with the digital technology out there you can make some very professional-sounding recordings and convert them to any audio format you want for burning to CD or adding to a MP3 player and uploading to websites like YouTube.

Great idea and I appreciate the effort of the post.

I'm glad that my son has such a keen interest in music and playing the guitar. However, he is going to have to take the initiative to get past repeated courses of "smoke on the water" before I put a bunch of money in it for him. He needs to get more serious, take some lessons or find some other way to learn more before I spend any more money on high dollar stuff.

For this Christmas he is getting a cleaning kit, a string cleaner tool and a string putter on, streatching, cutter thingy ma-bob.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
digitech gnx4 | eBay

There may well be better. I know there is newer.

Pro's; endless tones, from bass to dirty electric to twang to some seriously weird ####.

Recorder

Tuner

Drum machine

Ability to interface with computer

Con's; not exactly intuitive but, not a nightmare either. Something else newer, bigger, better, etc.

I have one so, this is an endorsement.

:buddies:

There is nothing that gets the creative juices going than to be able to record your own stuff.

This is true.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Great idea and I appreciate the effort of the post.

I'm glad that my son has such a keen interest in music and playing the guitar. However, he is going to have to take the initiative to get past repeated courses of "smoke on the water" before I put a bunch of money in it for him. He needs to get more serious, take some lessons or find some other way to learn more before I spend any more money on high dollar stuff.

For this Christmas he is getting a cleaning kit, a string cleaner tool and a string putter on, streatching, cutter thingy ma-bob.

This peg winder is awesome.

Ernie Ball PowerPeg | Sweetwater.com

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is true.

The GNX4 is awesome. It's more of a guitar modeler than a recording device. I was split between that and the Roland VG-88. I kind of wish I had gone with the GNX4, although the VG-88 is more customizable. Both are pretty expensive.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The GNX4 is awesome. It's more of a guitar modeler than a recording device. I was split between that and the Roland VG-88. I kind of wish I had gone with the GNX4, although the VG-88 is more customizable. Both are pretty expensive.

I got my for about $400 new and I think I linked to one on E bay that is under 3. :shrug:

It is, for me, very much a recorder and drum machine as much as for guit tone. It is WAY too customizable for me. I get lost and try to stick to the basic installed tones.

:buddies:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny Gatton was the first that I know of to use a beer bottle slide and then he would wipe the beer off of the guitar neck off with a towell while playing.
I saw him do this live several times, just damn awesome.
And then later Jimmy Page used one with 'the Firm' in an 80's video.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Danny Gatton was the first that I know of to use a beer bottle slide and then he would wipe the beer off of the guitar neck off with a towell while playing.
I saw him do this live several times, just damn awesome.
And then later Jimmy Page used one with 'the Firm' in an 80's video.

In my earliest days playing guitar, in the mid 70s, I can remember using a beer bottle for a slide. My mom and dad drank Black Label in those longneck bottles. They worked perfect.